Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 02:12 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
How is Boscov's doing at PPM? It's been there 3 or 4 years now? At least it's holding on thru a pandrmic, right?

Any of you like shoping there for any particular
or any unique items? Prices are reasonable?

Do they adverise on local tv and radio, in the Projo occasionally?
When Boscov's opened it was impressive, I would equate it similar to a JC Penney, or a more spread out Kohl's, but really it's unique, it is its own store. The prices were very competitive when they opened, down right cheap, since then, the layout of the store has changed a bit for the worse, the inventory is not in full supply, and prices have creeped up. Of course, the pandemic may have had a negative effect as well. They do offer furniture as well, unlike some of its competitors. I don't see much advertising on TV, most of the advertisers are in the mail, flyers announcing sales. When it first opened I bought about four pairs of Dockers in a relaxed fit that were not available anywhere else, I don't think they even sell them anymore. Some inventory is different than what you would find at Kohl'ls, JC Penney, Macy's, Target, etc. So, its nice to have another choice.

I still miss Jordan Marsh, Filene's, Ann & Hope, Bradlees, and a few others. I think there is only one Sears store open, I think at South Shore Plaza in Braintree, and several Bob's Stores have closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 02:31 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
When Boscov's opened it was impressive, I would equate it similar to a JC Penney, or a more spread out Kohl's, but really it's unique, it is its own store. The prices were very competitive when they opened, down right cheap, since then, the layout of the store has changed a bit for the worse, the inventory is not in full supply, and prices have creeped up. Of course, the pandemic may have had a negative effect as well. They do offer furniture as well, unlike some of its competitors. I don't see much advertising on TV, most of the advertisers are in the mail, flyers announcing sales. When it first opened I bought about four pairs of Dockers in a relaxed fit that were not available anywhere else, I don't think they even sell them anymore. Some inventory is different than what you would find at Kohl'ls, JC Penney, Macy's, Target, etc. So, its nice to have another choice.

I still miss Jordan Marsh, Filene's, Ann & Hope, Bradlees, and a few others. I think there is only one Sears store open, I think at South Shore Plaza in Braintree, and several Bob's Stores have closed.
In the late 70's I would work at either Filene's, Bradless or Zayre's for about 6 weeks at Christmas time for extra money. I did that for 3 years in a row. In High School I use to work at the Ann & Hope in Cumberland. My job was stocking the shelves and putting countless shopping carts on that conveyer between floors. Those were the good days when we had all kinds of retail. Seems like we really have gone backwards.

As far as Providence Place Mall. Was it ever really a success? Pretty much all malls across the USA are either shutting down or having to reinvent themselves. That would most likely be what the Providence Mall is going to have to do. Just like Emerald Sq Mall in No. Attleboro. That's the world we live in and I wish it wasn't so.

Old 10-30-2022, 04:05 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
In the late 70's I would work at either Filene's, Bradless or Zayre's for about 6 weeks at Christmas time for extra money. I did that for 3 years in a row. In High School I use to work at the Ann & Hope in Cumberland. My job was stocking the shelves and putting countless shopping carts on that conveyer between floors. Those were the good days when we had all kinds of retail. Seems like we really have gone backwards.

As far as Providence Place Mall. Was it ever really a success? Pretty much all malls across the USA are either shutting down or having to reinvent themselves. That would most likely be what the Providence Mall is going to have to do. Just like Emerald Sq Mall in No. Attleboro. That's the world we live in and I wish it wasn't so.
But whenever I walk through the Shops at Prudential in Boston, at least recently, and depends on the hour, it seems very bustling. Fancy folks, their target audience. Not sure if many are just browsing or just eating at the small food area. Haven't strolled through Copley Place in Boston in a year or so, so not sure if empty shops abound or if it still has buzz.

And I had to drop in to Chestnut Hill Mall recently for an errand midday. It didn't seem too crowded, but they at least seem to still have their nice stores. Didn't have time to wander, so not sure if many empty storefronts there nowadays.

Old 10-30-2022, 04:09 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

Thanks for your response.

The Sears in Braintree closes at 6 pm last I was aware!

The mall closes later, but Sears can't hang on until 8 pm or so like the others?

It's depressing there now with few shoppers and seemingly little inventory, at least on the few occasions I've gone in this year.

Old 10-30-2022, 04:57 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:

The mall closes later, but Sears can't hang on until 8 pm or so like the others?

It's depressing there now with few shoppers and seemingly little inventory, at least on the few occasions I've gone in this year.

Yeah I peaked in there pretty recently and the place was downright sad. Not a customer in sight and the inventory looked like they were going out of business. Why do they even bother keeping it open?

Old 10-31-2022, 06:43 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
There is no doubt that the pandemic has accelerated online Amazon type purchases nationwide.

It's not too difficult to envision a future in which there will be no brick and mortar stores.

A shame because I, like I'm sure many others, hate to buy things I can't see in person and clothes/shoes I can't try on. One has to rely on other's reviews, which are helpful, but only if they are not paid reviewers.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:23 AM

5,205 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There is no doubt that the pandemic has accelerated online Amazon type purchases nationwide.

It's not too difficult to envision a future in which there will be no brick and mortar stores.

A shame because I, like I'm sure many others, hate to buy things I can't see in person and clothes/shoes I can't try on. One has to rely on other's reviews, which are helpful, but only if they are not paid reviewers.
Times and days of old. When Midland Mall opened it was a crazy new experience with so many different types stores under the roof. That was when shopping was an experience.

As you mentioned I think we have now crossed that line where online shopping is here to stay. My younger employees love the opportunity to do their shopping all online.

We have reached a point where getting into your car and driving to the store is an inconvenience.

The technology and pandemic have definitely changed the way we shop.

We enjoyed visiting the PPM when we came home to visit, it was nice to see vibrancy downtown, visiting the stores, grabbing a bite to eat and then experiencing Waterfire.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:32 AM

5,205 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:

I just Googled and was surprised to see that there are only 23 remaining Sears stores currently open, I had thought they had all closed.

Eddie Lampert the man responsible who single handily brought down one of Americas retail giants, which is a topic for another forum.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:23 PM

222 posts, read 116,459 times
I've wondered myself what will come of the facility. I was looking at condos at the nearby 903 (other side of the overpass) which seem to sell briskly. We shall see i guess.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:03 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I just Googled and was surprised to see that there are only 23 remaining Sears stores currently open, I had thought they had all closed.

Eddie Lampert the man responsible who single handily brought down one of Americas retail giants, which is a topic for another forum.
Sears in Braintree looks like it will be closing for good soon. It is not looking good, a lot of empty space, disheveled looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island