Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 01:12 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Yes, Breeze will add service, but it needs to be more than twice weekly n/s to LAX.
There's always the Breeze Orange County non-stops in a pinch - if you have a car or driver waiting on the other end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 01:25 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
There's always the Breeze Orange County non-stops in a pinch - if you have a car or driver waiting on the other end.

What airport wouldn't you?

Old 12-18-2022, 04:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Worcester is not a consideration. Very difficult reach and larger planes can't fly from there. Holy Cross's chartered flight to South Dakota flew from PVD not ORH. Why, because of winter weather concerns at an airport 1000 ft up. Jet Blue has expanded into BDL at a higher level than PVD because of its distance from BOS. Empty flights from ORH to JFK on B6 but they are imposed by MassPort. If PVD had that JFK service, it would flourish as the DL LGA service has. Jet Blue received relief from MassPort when they made it a hub or focus city. Yes, Breeze will add service, but it needs to be more than twice weekly n/s to LAX.
Yep. Worcester is useless as a commercial airport. The regional airports for Boston are MHT and PVD. I’ve used both many times. Just like PVD, Manchester had periods where it had long haul flights to places other than Florida. Manchester has a worse problem because Logan access is easier. The Providence market has to use the Southeast Expressway. In 2022, a midweek morning flight out of Logan is impossible for me. The Southeast Expressway plugs solid by 6am. Getting to the airport is not deterministic. In theory, I’m getting commuter rail a year from now. Depending on the schedule, that might make a lot of flights possible. It’s still extremely inconvenient compared to parking in Garage B with a coupon and walking to the terminal at Green.

Old 12-18-2022, 06:00 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Worcester is not a consideration. Very difficult reach and larger planes can't fly from there. Holy Cross's chartered flight to South Dakota flew from PVD not ORH. Why, because of winter weather concerns at an airport 1000 ft up. Jet Blue has expanded into BDL at a higher level than PVD because of its distance from BOS. Empty flights from ORH to JFK on B6 but they are imposed by MassPort. If PVD had that JFK service, it would flourish as the DL LGA service has. Jet Blue received relief from MassPort when they made it a hub or focus city. Yes, Breeze will add service, but it needs to be more than twice weekly n/s to LAX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. Worcester is useless as a commercial airport. The regional airports for Boston are MHT and PVD. I’ve used both many times. Just like PVD, Manchester had periods where it had long haul flights to places other than Florida. Manchester has a worse problem because Logan access is easier. The Providence market has to use the Southeast Expressway. In 2022, a midweek morning flight out of Logan is impossible for me. The Southeast Expressway plugs solid by 6am. Getting to the airport is not deterministic. In theory, I’m getting commuter rail a year from now. Depending on the schedule, that might make a lot of flights possible. It’s still extremely inconvenient compared to parking in Garage B with a coupon and walking to the terminal at Green.

Meanwhile, JetBlue currently has JFK flights from ORH and not PVD (so go figure on that one). What aircraft of theirs is too large for Worcester's 7000K+ ft runway??? The elevation thing has become pretty irrelevant after MassPort installed the Cat III landing system at Worcester (the main issue there was fog not snow). Worcester's main problem now is just getting there. No highway access like TF Green. Locals and people who aren't scared of back roads of course don't mind, but that's a big issue to the business people. Another problem with Worcester is that it is almost equidistant to PVD, BOS, MHT and BDL. None of those other airports really have four other competing airports within an hour, and Worcester also has a smaller population in the immediate area to draw from. But still, do NOT underestimate the leverage MassPort has and its relationship with JetBlue. The RIAC simply doesn't have the means to match it.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:34 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
The Providence Orange County flights are going to be one stop flights

Old 12-19-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
That makes more sense. My mistake.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I took a glance at their schedule and couldn’t figure out where the stop would be.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:54 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I'm not completely sure I am impressed with the way Breeze is building its route system, or its ability in building trust with its customer base. I feel it is building its route system way to fast, yet is not able to maintain the schedules it already has. This Lax flight has been postponed several times. It should have started earlier this year and has been postponed twice now. Now its being scheduled for May 2023. The Jacksonville flight started and within weeks was put on hold, and now its scheduled to startup again as a one stop flight. The Orange County flight this one makes no sense to me as the SNA airport is barely 40 miles south of Lax. The Orange county flight is going to be one stop, and doing some research I found the routing may very well be Providence, Orlando, Orange County. So my view is Breeze needs to get their schedule more in line with the planes they now have, and show some sense of stability in their current flight schedules. Do that before adding routes and then delaying the start of these flights across their network. It's not just Providence being hit with all these changes by Breeze. Otherwise Breeze will not build a rapport and trust with passengers, and will never be the airiine they want to be. The quickest way for a new airline to fail is to grow to fast, and I feel that is what Breeze is doing.

So far Providence is not doing well at all in its flight schedules. I feel badly for the airport as it has really tried to develop itself, and many of the reasons flights have left the airport is not due to the airport at all. So far Providence will now lose another airline Frontier. The airport has lost in previous years on various airlines. Nonstops to Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Nashville, and soon Denver and I believe Minneapolis. I think there have been others cities also but I can't think of them. Not to mention all the flights that Norwegian was flying out of Providence.
I'm wondering if Providence future growth now completely depends, on how overcrowded Logan becomes. Where Pvd only gets new flights because Boston can't handle any more flights.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:11 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
Quote:
not nonstops, all one stops either through PIT, CVG or CMH

Old 12-20-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
not nonstops, all one stops either through PIT, CVG or CMH
Yes. I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island