Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 06:46 AM

4,364 posts, read 3,188,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Because unlike the Pawtucket location, it's far from the highway and it's also not close to the target demographic.
That never stopped anyone from going to Rocky Point. Warwick is pretty central to the whole state.

Not sure what you mean about the target demographic. You think people in Pawtucket have more money for tickets than people in Warwick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 06:52 AM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Because unlike the Pawtucket location, it's far from the highway and it's also not close to the target demographic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
That never stopped anyone from going to Rocky Point. Warwick is pretty central to the whole state.

Not sure what you mean about the target demographic. You think people in Pawtucket have more money for tickets than people in Warwick?
My god. Take a marketing class!

Old 08-28-2023, 07:04 AM

Quote:
My god. Take a marketing class!
Ah, so when you don't have the answer you resort to rudeness.

What target demographic does Warwick lack, that Pawtucket has?

Old 08-28-2023, 06:16 PM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
sandsonik, I apologize. My comment was rude.

Pawtucket would attract more soccer fans than Warwick.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:49 PM

245 posts, read 98,198 times
Quote:
It is time to pull the plug. I wonder, though, if that's legally possible. I mean, this guy has put millions in already. Would the city of Pawtucket have to give him the money he's already put in? Can the city just break the contract?

And a bank in Pasadena, CA is involved now.
Let’s get State of RI Attorney General’s office involved. The AG’s office can find out what can be done about this mess.

When you go to the RI AG’s website, it says that some of the AG’s office responsibilities are standing up for consumers, investigating and prosecuting criminals, and initiating legal action. Based on what Go Local Prov has been able to dig up it is clear there are questions that need answering about the way Brett Johnson does business and how his business practices might adversely impact State of RI and Pawtucket city finances. That has the potential to impact RI residents. RI Commerce Corporation apparently didn’t do much if anything in the way of vetting Johnson before Tidewater deal got under way and doesn’t seem interested in doing any investigating now that the deal is going sideways. So let’s get AG’s office to start looking into Johnson, the way Johnson does business, and what’s going on with Tidewater Stadium project.

If Johnson’s on the up and up, then he has nothing to worry about. If he’s been keeping info from RI state and Pawtucket city officials, bending the truth about what’s going on behind the scenes, trying to pull a fast one? Well, then he’s brought problems on himself and he needs to either make things square with RI and RI taxpayers or he has to deal with the consequences.

Last edited by IslandOwen86; 08-28-2023 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-28-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
sandsonik, I apologize. My comment was rude.

Pawtucket would attract more soccer fans than Warwick.
I still think it wouldn't make much difference. They're driving to Foxboro now, and Warwick is closer for most of the state than going to Foxboro - and larger than Pawtucket.

I have a feeling you meant a certain ethnic demographic, but they're actually harder to win over to local football.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:28 PM

23,534 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
I still think it wouldn't make much difference. They're driving to Foxboro now, and Warwick is closer for most of the state than going to Foxboro - and larger than Pawtucket.

You're forgetting about the fans in Mass..

Quote:
I have a feeling you meant a certain ethnic demographic, but they're actually harder to win over to local football.

That demographic is concentrated in East Providence (and some right in Pawtucket)/East Bay and over towards Fall River and Taunton. Pawtucket is far closer than Rocky Point to most. And it would be SOCCER, not "football". We are in America.

Old 08-29-2023, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You're forgetting about the fans in Mass..

That demographic is concentrated in East Providence (and some right in Pawtucket)/East Bay and over towards Fall River and Taunton. Pawtucket is far closer than Rocky Point to most. And it would be SOCCER, not "football". We are in America.
Fans of RIFC...in Mass? OK, I didn't know Mass citizens were our target demographic. Boston has a USL team.

Does "that demographic" mean Portuguese? Because that doesnt translate to following the American teams more than any other demographic. Some do, many don't.
They'll go to Gillette when Portugal plays or if Benfica or Sporting CP has a friendly. Or if another MLS team gets a Portuguese star, they'll come to Gillette to root AGAINST the local team. And the USL side won't have any stars like that.

I think you're more of a Rhode Islander than most Rhode Islanders if Warwick is too far, lol. I guess the people from South County who make the trip to Gillette didn't get the memo!

Old 08-29-2023, 09:27 AM

By the way, Defiance 1636 is looking for band members if anyone is interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RhodeIsland...&utm_content=1

Old 08-29-2023, 09:39 AM

23,534 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Fans of RIFC...in Mass? OK, I didn't know Mass citizens were our target demographic. Boston has a USL team.

Somebody from Swansea is far more likely to support the team in Pawtucket than Boston.

Quote:
Does "that demographic" mean Portuguese? Because that doesnt translate to following the American teams more than any other demographic. Some do, many don't.
They'll go to Gillette when Portugal plays or if Benfica or Sporting CP has a friendly. Or if another MLS team gets a Portuguese star, they'll come to Gillette to root AGAINST the local team. And the USL side won't have any stars like that.

IDK, from my experience that's a lot of who supports these local American teams as well. But if you say so...

Quote:
I think you're more of a Rhode Islander than most Rhode Islanders if Warwick is too far, lol. I guess the people from South County who make the trip to Gillette didn't get the memo!

Are you kidding me? That drive all through Warwick through and the million lights can seem like eons. Even somebody from South County could probably get to the Pawtucket location quicker on most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island