Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 AM

136 posts, read 761,499 times

Advertisements

I live in CT and I am having some guests from out of the country and I would like to take them to see one of the Newport Mansions tomorrow Saturday. We only have time to see one or two maybe. I have never been there and I would like to know:

1. Which two I should visit?

2. How busy are the weekends in these locations?

3. How is the parking situation in front of these mansions?

4. Can you see the rest of the mansions at least by driving by since I heard that most of them are on the same street?

Any other advice for visiting these mansions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:54 AM

688 posts, read 2,128,281 times
I'd definitely go see the Breakers one. Maybe another fun one would be the Elms. They're all interesting though.

It will probably be fairly busy there, this is the middle of tourist season after all. I also think it's the Newport Flower Show this weekend so you'll have an even bigger crowd. Rosecliff might be closed because of the show. Parking is available close to the mansions but again, lots of people might be there so it might be a bit of a chore to find a decent parking spot.

Instead of driving around to see the mansions I'd really recommend going for a walk and taking a look, especially if the weather allows for it. These places are much more impressive when there's time to observe them. So don't whisk your friends past them in a car, take your time instead. Only other thing I can think of is if you've got small children be prepared to carry them, you won't be able to bring strollers into the mansions. Wear comfy shoes, there's some walking to be done.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 PM

166 posts, read 703,166 times
The Breakers and Marble House are the two biggies. Don't bother just driving past the others if you're not actually going in because most are behind fences and bushes, and the inside of the mansions are what everyone wants to see anyway. There are some good drives in Newport along the ocean though.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM

136 posts, read 761,499 times
Ok thanks for the info. I was also thinking of visiting the Breakers as well. I called and they said you don't have to buy tickets online, tours go on continously every 5 min and there is a parking lot right there.

What else is to do in Newport other than the mansions, flower show and tennis hall of fame? Is there a street you can walk by the ocean with lots of restaurants/stores? If the weather is nice I know my guests would like to take a stroll.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 PM

9,229 posts, read 14,782,696 times
The Cliff Walk is a must. Very picturesque walk by the ocean. Non commercial.
If you want shops & restaurants walk down Thames St.
Drive down Ocean Drive to see the mansions. Visit the tennis hall of fame (if interested). Take a harbor tour by boat. Go to the Newport Art Museum.
Go to Brenton Pt Park and fly a kite. You'll find plenty to do in Newport- don't worry just go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island