U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,787 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Rhode Island and are investigating different communities. I remember reading something in the Projo about a landfill or toxic waste/superfund in Tiverton but can't seem to find any details. Does anyone know anything about this?

We're also interested in Little Compton if anyone has info on that community, especially noting environmental concerns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 PM

8,690 posts, read 13,710,376 times
I believe the waste problem is in the Bay Street neighborhood of North Tiverton. A far as I know, that's the only problem area in those two towns.
What other types of info are you looking for?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM

126 posts, read 672,018 times
Superfund - Land Cleanup and Wastes | Region 4 | US EPA

to find superfund sites, or any polluters, in a particular area.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 79,689 times
Default enviromental / facility information for geographic areas

A similar source is "enviromapper for envirofacts."
EnviroMapper for EnviroFacts

Envirofacts can be described as a public access info source that mirrors information in the Agency's enviromental databases - without the enforcement sensitive information - which is confidential.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,620 times
I don't know about what is in Tiverton these days, but Little Compton is a wonderful town. I grew up there. It has great beaches, Briggs Beach is the best but you have to e a member and pay. I don't know how much. Wilbur's Woods is a interesting park on Swamp Road. There are Indian burial grounds in it.
Little Compton is quiet and there are no traffic lights.
Let me know what you want to know and I"ll try to answer.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,378 times
Tiverton is a long narrow town. North Tiverton borders the Massachusetts city of Fall River, a kind of gritty mill town that is making a stab at gentrification but is fairly economically depressed. The neighborhoods in North Tiverton are primarily middle-class, with some working class areas too. There is a Highland Rd. area that is very nice where the movie "Evening" was filmed in part. The Bay St. area is in N. Tiverton and where the toxic subsoil is -- apparently homes were built on former industrial ground that wasn't cleaned up. There's been a long-term lawsuit and it looks like a settlement will be coming to the homeowners.Tiverton tends to gets more rural as you move south, larger lots, small farms, and some very upscale homes. Exclusive areas both N. and So. include waterfront homes along the Sakonnet River (a tidal inlet) Nanaquaket, Neck Rd., and some historic-style developments off Stone Church and Crandall Rds. are also very nice. Housing tends to range (very roughly) from $225K for a modest ranch to $750K for a few acres and very nice house, possibly water view. Tiverton elementary schools are good to very good. There is a beautiful historic area called the Four Corners with upscale boutiques and galleries, some nice cafes in town as well. But the town isn't totally yuppie, you'll still see lobster pots stacked in yards and there are some run-down properties mixed in. Tiverton and LC both have great places for nature hiking.Little Compton tends to be more exclusive (but further commute from any employment). Gorgeous architecture in many homes. IMO S. Tiverton has a similar look but lower price tag. Many wealthy New Yorkers have summer homes in LC. They have a wonderful town center (The Commons) and a thriving community center. Great beach and nature access as well. Overall, more "Republican" due to a fair number of "blue bloods" - you'll find private beach clubs in LC. There is a 4% tax on home purchases (so if you paid $500K for a house you'd have to bring a $20K tax check to closing). Ask tough questions about well and water access in LC - there have been some problems with properties along Main Rd. I believe. Taxes are low but probably because there are no services as far as I know (trash collection for example) and there's only an elementary school (very charming and they dole out lots of scholarship aid to LC students.) But older kids get bussed past Tiverton to Portsmouth for high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island