Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Be reminded that the immigrants who came here years ago came here LEGALLY!

Mikey in NC,

The hundreds of people I saw in treatment were ALL HERE LEGALLY. A vast majority were either born in the US or came when they were young.
They would have to be...they needed to have some form of insurance (i.e. medicaid) to be seen in the first place.

Also, I would think my grandfather would have been considered an "illegal alien" today.
The difference when he immigrated 80 or so years ago was that he was sponsored by companies that were looking for workers.
He assimilated quite smoothly.

That's not happening any more.
Mikey
That may be the case where you are, but here the illegal immigrants can get medical treatment, and they get that right along with American citizens. Every one of them is taught how to get social security cards, medicaid, drivers' licenses, etc so forgery goes right along with breaking the first law by sneaking into America.

If you are treating Mexicans and other Hispanics that you KNOW are here legally then I would agree that the situation is not a good one, and assuming you are a physician, nurse practitioner or RN, I can understand your reason for treating everyone without prejudice.

In any case my argument is not with you but with our own government, and the bleeding hearts, who are allowing this to happen to the American Taxpayer.

Have a Happy New Year and drive safely as the illegals also drive without licenses and are causing almost 1/3 of the accidents down here.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,817 times
That may be the case where you are, but here the illegal immigrants can get medical treatment, and they get that right along with American citizens. Every one of them is taught how to get social security cards, medicaid, drivers' licenses, etc so forgery goes right along with breaking the first law by sneaking into America.

If you are treating Mexicans and other Hispanics that you KNOW are here legally then I would agree that the situation is not a good one, and assuming you are a physician, nurse practitioner or RN, I can understand your reason for treating everyone without prejudice.

I am wondering how many of these "illegal immigrants" you truly know. How many have you actually worked with, or spoken with, or heard their stories? Or are you merely going off the media alarmist reports or gripe sessions with your fellow angry Americans?

I work in a cancer clinic in rural Texas, and also am in a graduate program in Austin with many colleagues who work in immigrant reform and support services with undocumented residents. I can tell you without hesitation (and from actually working with and knowing members of this population) that the vast majority of undocumented residents do NOT want to "take advantage" of social programs, medical care, etc. Why? Because then they will be a target and found out as living here illegally. I have been witness to people dying of cancer and their families begging them, begging them, to get help before they die, and they refuse because they know that will put their family on the "radar" of the US government. These are not criminals or lazy people - these are hardworking poor farm laborers.

Of course you can make the argument that they "deserve" to be on the radar since they are here illegally, but I am just so frustrated with these stereotypical portrayals of all these lazy and sneaky criminal "illegal aliens". I think if more people actually knew these people, saw them as humans, then maybe we would get somewhere in this country as far as legislation and immigration reform.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc melchiori View Post
How about rid ourselves of the illegals and the social programs -kill two birds with one stone.
Sure, let's get rid of social programs, especially ones that help people in need. God forbid you ever find yourself out of a job or with a bad luck streak and you need something like WIC or food stamps or elderly housing. It's sad how little people care about one another.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:19 PM

49 posts, read 166,579 times
I would rather eat my own testicles and call them rocky mountain oysters than get a hand out. This kind of attitude worked for Americans from its inception to the mid 1960s. And, by the way, luck has nothingto do with income employment or sucess - hard work, thrift and perserverence. The old Protestant work ethic.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
That is not just an "old Protestant work ethic" that is everyone's work ethic back then..cuz if you didn't work hard, save, and perserve..you would literally die because there were no other choices.

Marc Melchiori...there are many things in life you do not have control over...so all the hard work, thrift, and perservernce....and you will likely still be needing a handout...whether it be now or at some point later in life. So make sure you got seasoning for those testicles...you are gonna need it.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:04 AM

Help from family, spouse, friends sure, but I would feel ashamed asking you - a taxpayer - to help me out you have got youself to look after and I too proud and ashamed to ask. When the mining town in Southern Idaho closed down during the late 1920s my family found ourselves out of work and moved on to Kansas and Nebraska to work as farm hands and sharecropers, then the dust bowl hit and swallowed up the wheat and corn ending our dream and chance to prosper. We picked up again and headed further East hoping for better job prospects. Over time things improved slowly. We sold spices and pickled products from the back of our truck and built a small and thriving business in Brooklyn, NY. We went from using newspaper scrapes as toilet paper to, eventualy, the real thing. NEVER once did any of us take Roosevelt's dole. We were too proud and would be ashamed to ask. Make a loong story short there are lessons that should be learned by those who read this post: live modestly, expect nothing but more hard work and stick together as a family through thick and thin - if you can do that you will be OK. Life is rough and, like a lot of kids today, I didn't always have a full belly before bed and wore hand - me - downs for the longest time. But such is life ya take the good with the bad. Shame is a cruel but magnificent teacher.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Angry Yes I have!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post

I am wondering how many of these "illegal immigrants" you truly know. How many have you actually worked with, or spoken with, or heard their stories? Or are you merely going off the media alarmist reports or gripe sessions with your fellow angry Americans?

I work in a cancer clinic in rural Texas, and also am in a graduate program in Austin with many colleagues who work in immigrant reform and support services with undocumented residents. I can tell you without hesitation (and from actually working with and knowing members of this population) that the vast majority of undocumented residents do NOT want to "take advantage" of social programs, medical care, etc. Why? Because then they will be a target and found out as living here illegally. I have been witness to people dying of cancer and their families begging them, begging them, to get help before they die, and they refuse because they know that will put their family on the "radar" of the US government. These are not criminals or lazy people - these are hardworking poor farm laborers.

Of course you can make the argument that they "deserve" to be on the radar since they are here illegally, but I am just so frustrated with these stereotypical portrayals of all these lazy and sneaky criminal "illegal aliens". I think if more people actually knew these people, saw them as humans, then maybe we would get somewhere in this country as far as legislation and immigration reform.
I have known many for the past 12 years. They were on construction sites where I was the Project Manager. Most were stunned at my asking if they were here illegaly and few could prove that they were. the General Contractor looked the other way as they worked for less than American construction workers. It was hard to see Americans waiting in line for work while their ILLEGAL Mexican counterparts were hired through the back door. Does that answer your question about how many I know or knew?

We had other Hispanics on my projects but they ALL had documentation and all were from countries OTHER THAN Mexico and they complained about how lazy their ILLEGAL cohorts were. I have seen all this with my own eyes and I do not consider myself to be a racist.

These ILLEGALS deserve to be made targets as they did that to themselves when they crossed our border ILLEGALLY.

Buy American and hire American Workers...period.

I don't know where you are from as you have a blank profile but I daresay your own knowledge comes from the liberal media.

I am getting so tired of all the liberals touting yet another lost cause "for the sake of humanity"..Where is your humanity towards Americans.

Don't bother replying as I am turning a deaf ear (and eye) to this entire immigration topic as it is only a soapbox for liberals. I welcome other RI topics however.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:32 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
I don't know where you are from as you have a blank profile but I daresay your own knowledge comes from the liberal media.

I am getting so tired of all the liberals touting yet another lost cause "for the sake of humanity"..Where is your humanity towards Americans.

Don't bother replying as I am turning a deaf ear (and eye) to this entire immigration topic as it is only a soapbox for liberals. I welcome other RI topics however.
Um...it helps when you respond to someone if you actually read their entire post.

I wrote exactly where I am and how I work with undocumented residents. I guess in your haste to prove not only how all undocumented Mexicans are scam artists, but how that doesn't make you a racist, you didn't get that far.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:50 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,272 times
Quote:
Buy American and hire American Workers...period.
Ummm... tough to do though when Conservative Corporate thieves all contract the work out to third world countries at slave wages and keep a cool 15million or so a year for themselves.

By the way, they love to get everyone talking about illegals and such....keeps the focus off of them and other bigger problems.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 AM

Buy American? How about that new Toyota Camry? Japanese car made in Georgetown KY, USA. Kia's are made in Alabama, Honda plant opening in Indiana this coming new year. Ford ownes Land Rover and Chrysler ownes Daimler Benz. My wifes WV Passat will soon be manufactured here in the USA as Germany discovers the adverse affects of a rising Euro and we, the US, discover the benefits of a weakened dollar. The US does not produce widgets anymore, because its not profitable and its more economicaly advantageous to produce them elsewear. We do manufacture VAP's (value added products) such as automobiles, because we have the know how and the technological ability. Folks times have changed, for better or worse, and you can either get on board or be pushed to the sidelines.
When Henry Ford introduced mass produced autos what did all the folks who made buggy's do? Did they scream foul and ask the government to intervene to save their market share? Did they ask government to put a quota on the number of autos Ford could build? HELL NO! The smart ones got out of the buggy business and started to manufacture other things - like autos. Get with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island