Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:58 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,344 times

Advertisements

During a week long visit last fall, I was under the impression the Providence is plagued by a lot illegals. Can anyone confirm?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
That's been my observation as well.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 AM

474 posts, read 2,191,905 times
Yes, the entire northeast is full of cultural diversity. Providence is also a college city. RISD, Brown Univ., Johnson & Wales Univ. etc. where many cultures study and reside.

Providence/Boston corridor is also multi cultural due to some of the best medical facilities in the northeast where professors, physicians, researchers, etc. work, study and reside.

How do you know they are illegal just by looking at them?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM

24 posts, read 78,451 times
Providence is a dump with a higher crime rate for every type of crime than the National average. Not only that but it's so congested especially with the construction projects. I lived in North Providence and worked in Providence (5-10 minutes away) and it took me an hour to get home every night. I could have gotten home faster using a pogo stick. I should've tried that....

Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 PM

474 posts, read 2,191,905 times
Oh, I see CaseyB. However, the original poster is assuming that everyone other than a Caucasian or American is illegal. RI is a very multi-cultural area. Certainly there are illegals there, and they need to get rid of them, pronto! Just as the rest of the country has the same problem. There is an epidemic of illegals everywhere and the government does not seem to be addressing it effectively.

You cannot tell by looking at someone whether they are illegal or not. That is the point.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,162 times
All posts concerning immigration not in RI were removed. Politics and other controversies is the place for such discussions

Last edited by Yac; 02-02-2007 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 35,878 times
Post Illegal vs Foriegn + Intellectual-Knowledge vs Ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Oh, I see CaseyB. However, the original poster is assuming that everyone other than a Caucasian or American is illegal. RI is a very multi-cultural area. Certainly there are illegals there, and they need to get rid of them, pronto! Just as the rest of the country has the same problem. There is an epidemic of illegals everywhere and the government does not seem to be addressing it effectively.

You cannot tell by looking at someone whether they are illegal or not. That is the point.
I've always liked 'these' ones! They're great for the pickings, especially when it comes to ignorance! I love ignorance because it just gives everybody something to talk about and disect at the same time. Ignorance is everywhere ... and the originator of the "Illegal" posting is just no exception to the rule... Yes! You've just gotta' love this one! I know I do! I'll tell you why!

Just a decade ago, I wrote an article about this topic. It was after moving back to the US from an 18 month stay in Europe (which was awesome by the way ... LOTS of D-I-V-E-R-SITY!) if you know what I mean. Upon my return to the US, however, and hanging out in St. Louis while waiting for our belongings to arrive by cargo, I had the luxury to hang out at the pool during the 1st week back. Naturally, being 1/2 Austrian and Spanish, I also had the luxury of having an awesome ability to tan to a golden bronse complection. I'm not bragging...just glad that it only takes a few laps to get that w/o having to damage my skin. Sadly though, as I was in the garden watering the lovely new garden of mine, I noticed 5 local women who walked by early that morning. I heard 1 say "she sure does have a lovely garden" ... however ... what I heard next just about had my gramma rolling in her grave. She lowered her voice and asked her friends "do you think she's negro ... I've never seen any negros around here".

This lady was obviously VERY IGNORANT!!! AND I JUST LOVE THIS TOPIC!!! I could chew it up and SPIT it out ... because any diverse human being would know that this type of mentality is PURE IGNORANCE with a capital I... thats a capital "i" for Ignorance and stupidity!

Not to long after that ... I made my way up North....by golly...you just can't get away from it! I was now in Indiana, and again, where a local had asked "are you negro or Spanish or something like that". Before I could even answer ... she said "I just can't tell the difference" sometimes".

Hard to believe!But it's true! That same lady was a Supervisor operating a switchboard center and shared that she needed a few operators ... but couldn't hire anybody with a Spanish or foriegn accent because the facility's management would NOT accept having that at their front desk...they needed to protect their "IMAGE". Go figure on that one! But God bless her soul...she was a Christian

Next article! From my observance ... anything or "one" walking around with suntan or bronse complection or even dark hair for that matter who didn't have some kind of ancestry in the neighborhood or talk, appear or act like anything "Americani'zed'" or "LEGAL" t'was blissfull Ignorance that made these folks believe they were anything but "legal". They could have been from Italy, Spain, Romania or even the heart of London for that matter...if you even looked anything but "ignorant" or "legal"...you were automatically defined and 'ass'umed' either a Negro or an "Illegal" person.

Pa'lease folks! Don't you have anything better to do? Maybe the next time some of you try to depict what's legal vs not (or Illegal") perhaps you ought to trace your own roots and then come back and ask about what is vs. what is not! America has an abundance of foreign people from all parts of the world ... Providence is no exception! They have their share of diversity just like any other city in the US...maybe you just need to hit a larger city to really get the big picture!

I will say 1 thing that is for sure, which I have yet to "observe" in other parts of the states is the fact that there are a LOT of people on the eastcoast than I have yet to see, who are on a whole heck of a lot of anti-depressant and/or alcohol trips. I've never seen anything like it...it's like candy out there and just about every other person had their "piece". As though in some kind of a candy factory. This is just another entire topic that I'd love to see out here!

Oh, and btw...I've already heard the "but don't you think that some of these people "need" those anti-depressant". Please...spare me the humor. They're merely legalized "mind-altering addictive" psych drugs...similar to the illegal stuff that's already out there on the streets...only... it's legalized by perscription....and its very sad, indeed...and no there is no humor in that at all, however, it's just sad to see how the Pharmeceutical industry is sucking the life away from our youth simply because the "parents" just don't know how to handle their children anymore. Like I said though...that's another topic!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
I visit Providence often for personal business. The city has an extremely diverse population (see city data graph and stats) Crime is above the national average, but there are many other cities like Tucson, Phoenix, Portland Or, Seattle, Baltimore that are far higher.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,278 times
Providence crime is above the National Average, but actually below the National Average for a city of its size. As for being 'diverse', Providence is a multi-cultural city, but I disagree with the idea that the "Northeast" is more diverse than anywhere else. The cities are very diverse (though one could argue no more diverse than most cities when size is taken into account), but if you look at the percentage of caucasians for New England states as a whole, we are actually far LESS diverse than most Southern States.

Rhode Island is 83% non-hispanic caucasian. I am originally from FL which is only about 65% caucasian. That's a hell of a difference! And if you crunch the numbers you will find this discrepancy exists when Rhody and other New England states are compared to Southern states in general.

This doesn't make us any better or worse anyway. But I just get sick of hearing the same falsities repeated on this site over and over again. It really is discouraging to know that some people who are not from the area come here and get downright false information.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 35,878 times
Default Diversity in Providence & surrounding towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I visit Providence often for personal business. The city has an extremely diverse population (see city data graph and stats) Crime is above the national average, but there are many other cities like Tucson, Phoenix, Portland Or, Seattle, Baltimore that are far higher.
I must agree! From my experience, Providence does seem to have a good share of its diversity just like another other city. It's very small in size, so you really can't compare it to Atlanta, Chicago or LA...but it kinda felt like home on the bad side of town when I it a few pockets in not so nice areas. When it comes to crime, well, crime is just that ... but what's considered crime in Providence certainly isn't like the crime scenes out of LA or the Bronx ... still ... it never hurts to be streetsmart wherever you are because crime can happen anywhere at any given time and oftentimes in the least expected places. If you're from another city all together you'll be certain to miss any kind of criminal activity, but if you're from another small suburban town and never had the taste to actually live in a larger city where you'll find a slew of diversity then I'd say Providence is probably not a place you'd crave living it...but will truly enjoy visiting.

The beauty of an enriching life and where ever you chose to move and live (or even visit) is everything you make it to be... I found all of Rhode Island to be quite lovely ... and regardless of the "hearsay" ... I'm sure you'll find it to be as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island