U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 PM

578 posts, read 1,972,111 times

Advertisements

Went this weekend to Misquamicut in Westerly.
I live in CT...first time I've gone.

Normally when I have been to NE beaches...they've sucked.
The water has been freezing and generally just a snobby place.
I went to Cape Cod...hated it.
I prefer CA and Southern beaches.

I must say...Misquamicut was very nice.
It was a little crowded...but only in some parts...if you walked out you had a lot of room there.
The water was nice and warm with good waves...it felt much more like a mid atlantic than NE beach...a good thing!

I wanted to know a few things
1) How late can you go to the beaches in RI and still enjoy a good, sun and warm water?
2) How early can you go without chilly water temps?
3) Next time I go...maybe in September...I'm wondering if I should try Misquamicut again or go with another beach...just to explore.
I've heard Scarborough is really nice.
I'd like to know are the waves there much better...is it less crowded?
What other beaches would you recommend...is there really a difference or are they all pretty similar?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 AM

8,134 posts, read 12,838,376 times
Good news! There are three "new" beaches that have just been opened to the public in the Quonset Point area of North Kingstown; Blue Beach at the southern end of Quonset Pt, Compass Rose (end of Roger Williams Way Rte. 403) which has parking, trash cans and bike racks, and Spink's at the end of Davisville Rd.

Quonset had been a military base for a long time- that's why these are new.

I have swum in RI as late as October and as early as June. It just depends on what the weather is like in any particular year. We have been having a sort of coolish more rainy than usual summer, but I swam 2 days ago- the water felt like it was in the 70s. Some really hardy people, of course, swim any time of the year- surf too.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:01 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,320,551 times
I grew up in Westerly, parents still live there. As a local speaking for a non-local without a private membership to the nicer beaches i would say avoid the State beach, becuase it gets way TOO crowded. Try checking out East Beach in Watch Hill, you will be pleasantly suprised how much better Watch Hill is from the state beach. Better views, fun area and most importantly, for me anyway, better WAVES

Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM

1) How much more expensive is Watch Hill?
-Are the waves really better?
2) What about other nearby beaches
-Atlantic Beach
-Dunes
-East
-Napatree

3) Is Scarborough really worth the extra travel are the other Westerly beaches just as good?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 AM

- Watch Hill can be expensive with parking around 20 bucks/day, but if you go early, there is free parking on the street. But the beaches are worth it.
napatree is beautiful, if your willing to walk all the way down - there is an old civil war fort at the end. Its usually less crowded
- East beach has great views and lots of good waves
- Fenway is rocky but all the surfers go there
- Dunes is ok, next to the jetties, so you can walk out onto them

These are all the public beaches, some private beaches are very nice as well.

scarborough is really not very much different from westerly beaches i feel.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM

1) Watch Hill Beach
-How's the parking during a weekday in September?
-Is it still on the Atlantic or the sound?
-What about the waves?

2) East Beach
-Are the waves better than Misquam?
-How's the parking at East Beach?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 AM

East beach is free, watch hill beach you pay for access. East beach is just up the hill from the carosel and down a path. weekday in sept, parking on street no problem. All the beaches in westerly are on the block island sound, but its still the atlantic. Waves are prob a little better on the east beach side. Also the water is much more warmer in Sept than in June.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,337,777 times
Just curious... How do private beaches work? How do they know if you pay or not? I've only been to Oregon/California coast and all of Oregon's coast is public and I've only been to public beaches in Cali. It seems to me like it'd be pretty easy to just hop on down to the private beach without paying for access to it beforehand...

Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
East beach is free, watch hill beach you pay for access. East beach is just up the hill from the carosel and down a path. weekday in sept, parking on street no problem. All the beaches in westerly are on the block island sound, but its still the atlantic. Waves are prob a little better on the east beach side. Also the water is much more warmer in Sept than in June.
Would Scarborough be worth the extra 20 miles for better waves than Westerly or is there not that big a difference?

I'd be fine with going to Westerly but if another beach within 20 miles has bigger waves...I'd do that instead.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM

Well my family is a member at Seaside Beach club and they have staff checking member cars w/ stickers as people come and go. As far as the beach though, they have fences sectioning off thier beach to a certain point, where people walk along the water. I think there is a law as to how far down a fence can go. Seasides is about 20ft from the water maybe? I know the westerly town beach does the same thing, and you must be a town tax payer to join. As far as fenway/weekapaug, you get buttons and that gives you access to the beach and past the patrol (my cousin does this) That beach is sectioned off by the jetties sp? To get a button you have to live in weekapaug (my grandparents have a beach house there) and there are a limited number of buttons passed out to members of the weekapaug club I think.

found a picture of what the private town beach looks like, they also have a sign

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...Town_Beach.JPG

There is also the misquamicut club (worked at the golf course one summer), but thats uber exclusive for wealthy watch hillers. To get in there they have a legacy policy, where to be members, you have to be grandfathered in. For instance, a new family that wants to join, pays the club membership fees, but only then the kids become members, and they become full members when they are older, while the parents never become members. Really strange and rediculously expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island