Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,483 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to buy a second home in New England. I started in the MA board and got some great info. However, after driving back and forth, I realize that MA is too far from where I currently live (NYC suburb) to go every week.

I started looking in RI but there are so many different beach towns that I don't even know where to start.

I'm looking for an area in RI that is most like Chatham MA (in the cape). Small quaint village with shops, art galleries and restaurants within walking distance to a beach (preferably ocean). We prefer a place that is nice and quiet as opposed to a place with bars and miniature golf and tons of traffic and people. What town in RI should we look into?

Watch Hill is out of our price range ($300-400K but can go higher if my brother goes in with us). What other town should I look into? Schools are not important.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Try Bristol. It has lots of shops and charm. Your budget might get you a small place that is walk to water. Also try Wickford- another charming village.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:06 PM

20 posts, read 75,093 times
Default ri small shop beach town

The one that first comes to mind is East Greenwich, but the properties are probably out of your price range. But you can always look.
And you can always look.
In towns southeast of E. Greewich. But you may be sacraficing the amount of old shops. Meaning that you will have old shops here and there but maybe not as densely close to one another as you would find in E Greenwich and Chattam.
To find something walking distance to wide open ocean water, i doubt that u would find anything for $400 unless it's a little beach house with no yard in Gallilee, or E. Matunick, Matunick. Or something nice near the Narragansette Bay for $400 +. Warren RI, in Touisette is beautiful. The town has plenty of old shops.
How about coast line towns in Connecticut?

Last edited by louie lu; 09-01-2008 at 06:39 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 06:27 PM

Thank you for your responses.
I did look into Bristol but wasn't sure of there was a particular neighborhood I should focus on. Is there an area/neighborhood I should look into? Schools aren't important but proximity to water would be great.
Wickford is also very nice. I didn't see many homes for sale in the village itself (especially in my price range) but maybe I'll look at surrounding towns.
I didn't think of East Greenwich but will start looking there now- thanks! I've been using RIliving and it's a great site.
We are not looking for anything big. 2 BR 1 BA would be fine as long as we can walk to the water. I wouldn't even mind a far walk as I am nowhere near water where I am right now.
Thanks for the CT suggestion. I do have it on my list as well but thought there may be more areas close to water in RI which is why we started focusing there.
I appreciate your help!

Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,260 times
Default Westerly

Another one to consider is Westerly. It's way down in the southern tip of Rhode Island, but is a nice area with some small shops. Not quite as touristy as Chatham though.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
I have been looking to buy a second home in New England. I started in the MA board and got some great info. However, after driving back and forth, I realize that MA is too far from where I currently live (NYC suburb) to go every week.

I started looking in RI but there are so many different beach towns that I don't even know where to start.

I'm looking for an area in RI that is most like Chatham MA (in the cape). Small quaint village with shops, art galleries and restaurants within walking distance to a beach (preferably ocean). We prefer a place that is nice and quiet as opposed to a place with bars and miniature golf and tons of traffic and people. What town in RI should we look into?

Watch Hill is out of our price range ($300-400K but can go higher if my brother goes in with us). What other town should I look into? Schools are not important.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Check out Narragansett... specifically Bonnet Shores.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 PM

Thank you for the response.
Westerly would be perfect as it would be the closest for me. Can you suggest a particular neighborhood?

I also like at Narragansett. I was looking at the Pier but felt it wasn't quite what I was looking for (too much activity). I will check out Bonnet Shores.
Appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island