Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 14,530 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Colorado and I absolutely hate it here. I can't STAND it here. I've been looking around at states and so far Rhode Island seems great, but I really need a lot more information about it. I am planning to move to another state in August of next year. Here are some important things I need to know about Rhode Island

- What's it like with people that have disabilities? I have a son with autism and a daughter with Downs Syndrome. Do they have programs that can help them get jobs and do better in society? assistance for them?

- Cost of living (compared to Lakewood (Denver), Colorado), I currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 people, I'm paying over 900 a month for this 2 bedroom apartment. Or though it's always been somewhat of a dream of mine to own a home, is it at least cheap enough to rent?

- Are there any small towns, I would love to live in a small town where everything is within walking distance, or at least close driving distance. Just a place where you know your neighbors.

- This one is more of a want then a need, are there any Catholic schools? I would love to send one of my kids to a Catholic school, particularly high school, but there aren't any here. Does Rhode Island have enough Catholic churches?

I have lived in Denver for about 25 years and I can't STAND it here. When I'm trying to find a way to get my 23 year old (he has autism) into a place where he can live independently, they tell me to just move and leave him here. Thats horrible, I would love to see him be able to live and succeed on his own. Not just left here. My son who is 13 (doesn't have a disability) just flat out hates it here, and there's nothing for my daughter (she has Downs Syndrome) to do. I think she would love the beach.

Another thing you should know about me is that I used to live in England and I absolutely ADORED it there! I miss it so much, but it's too hard to move there, do you think Rhode Island would be a good match for me?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,638 times
If what you hate about Colorado is the "you're on your own" libertarian streak, you would prefer Rhode Island in that regard. However, just like everywhere else, unfortunately the social safety nets of the more vulnerable are being cut back in Rhode Island. So I'm not sure it would be what you're looking for, or if there even is a place in this country anymore that is totally safe if you are of a disadvantaged contingent.

The Cost of Living is probably higher here when it comes to housing. Or at least as high. One of the few things I dislike about Rhode Island compared to other states is that the Cost of Housing is still inflated, despite remarkable decreases over the past few years. $900 a month here (if you're renting) would probably get you a decent one bedroom. At least that was my experience as a renter before I purchased a place.

You're absolutely safe in the small towns department. This is New ENgland! There are a ton of nice small towns, particularly in the Western portion of the State. And none of them are too far from more urban areas either which makes them quite convenient.

Are there any Catholic schools? This is the most Catholic state in the Union! (At least generically speaking. We are a very liberal state, but socially speaking so is Colorado.)

As far as loving England, my Dad's English and often compares New England to Olde England. THey're far from the same thing of course, but the parallels are impossible to ignore. So you're probably safe there too.

Still, right now I would have a job lined up before I even thought about moving here. (Or perhaps anywhere for that matter.)

Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 14,530 times
Thank you so much, this was very very helpful!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:15 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,638 times
Glad to be of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island