Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:49 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,391,707 times

Advertisements

Sorry for all the posts. I've decided that the East Side is too expensive for me. I have no idea what's going to happen with the economy, and I need to keep my expenses as low as possible.

Does anyone have recommendations on nice areas to live? What about Cranston? Is that more affordable?

I'm going hunting again this weekend.

"Sigh."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:12 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,375,865 times
In a previous post, I recommended you check out the Edgewood section of Cranston. It's historic, near the water with many young professionals. I also suggested Pawtuxet Village in Warwick, close to Edgewood, a quaint village on the Bay which has many shops, is walkable etc. It's PAWUXET VILLAGE, not the city of PAWTUCKET!!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,692,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Sorry for all the posts. I've decided that the East Side is too expensive for me. I have no idea what's going to happen with the economy, and I need to keep my expenses as low as possible.

Does anyone have recommendations on nice areas to live? What about Cranston? Is that more affordable?

I'm going hunting again this weekend.

"Sigh."
I lived in the East Side for 10 years, and was quite happy there, then I decided I wanted to be a home owner and moved to the Elmhurst section. Elmhurst is one of the safest areas of the city, with nice neighborhoods and not hardly any rif raff. When the housing market skyrocketed the high prices kept a lot of the undesirables from moving in.

Really, where you move should strongly depend on where you work as well. For example I worked in New Bedford for several years and had to deal with the Washington bridge, and it was miserable; I think I took about 5 years off my life from that commute.

If I knew more about Cranston before I bought in Elmhurst I would have strongly considered it an option as well. My friend lives in the Eden Park section, and its very nice and convenient to everything. Reservoir Ave and Pontiac Ave have a lot of conveniences. Cranston is a consideration if your preference is for citified urban surroundings.

If you've lived in RI for awhile you know it is not laid out very well, which is exacerbated by the fact that it is densely populated, but Cranston is actually laid out very well. Also, if you're Italian it definetly won't hurt you.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:11 AM

6 posts, read 42,584 times
What about Federal Hill. There is a section that is mostly Single Family owner occupied homes on the street bound by DePasquale , Federal , Atwells and Dean St's - in there on a Pedestrian walk up from Atwells there are some very cool, brand new apartments. Listed on craigslist as Messenger St - gorgeous! and you are right next to Venda (YUM!) Groceria and some of the best restaurants in town....

Old 10-23-2008, 06:44 AM

9,221 posts, read 14,774,270 times
Try the Riverside section of East Providence. Take the Riverside exit off 195E and go up Veterans Memorial Parkway. There are lots of nice houses & some apts. It's near water and you are only a few minutes from the central city.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 19,377 times
Does anybody know how "WEST END PROVIDENCE" neighborhood is? We are from NY and would like to buy a foreclosure house located there, but have no clue about Providence at all. Can somebody give us input? Thank you.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 PM

202 posts, read 1,072,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaputri View Post
Does anybody know how "WEST END PROVIDENCE" neighborhood is? We are from NY and would like to buy a foreclosure house located there, but have no clue about Providence at all. Can somebody give us input? Thank you.
Compared to neighboring cities it's bad here in the west end. You can use google street map to take a look at the area.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 PM

774 posts, read 2,367,121 times
The "West End" refers to the area in and around Bucklin St., which is essentially South Providence.

I would look at other neighborhoods... Riverside was mentioned...or get out of the city entirely and consider Cranston, etc.

Mikey

Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,398,016 times
Thumbs up Providence suggestions

I wouldn't recommend downtown Providence

I would suggest

(South of Providence)
Cranston, Warwick,

(West of Providence)

Maybe:

Greenville, Cherry Valley, Saundersville, Smithfield,

(North of Providence)

Woonsocket, Pawtucket, Blackstone MA, Bellingham MA, Franklin/Milford MA

(East of Providence)

(East Suburbs)
Seekonk, MA, Swansea MA, Somerset MA

Rehoboth, Dighton/Berkley,
(Country farm type towns)
within 10-20 miles of Providence

(Northeast Suburbs)(MA)

Plainville MA, Attleboro MA, South Attleboro, and Mansfield MA

Mansfield MA Might be a decent choice
has commuter rail to Boston and Providence :-)
could leave your car at home and use wi-fi (free) on the train into work

Hope this helps

-jeff-
Winchester, MA

(East Bay):
Barrington or Bristol

Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 17,955 times
Default VISITING SCHOLAR AT BROWN UNIVERSITY-Family

Hi everybody from Europe¡

We are preparing our potential arrival at Brown University in sept 2009-10, as visiting scholars(2-3 years), and as it is our first time there, we wonder which places for living could be the best for our small familiy (mother, father and a 6 years son).

We are searching for a familiy district, not very expensive, with children, healthy, shops, art, more a house than an appartment, as near from the sea as possible, but well connected and not very far away from the Brown University, because my husband doesn't drive...

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions¡

kind regards¡

M.N.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island