Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,080 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I read the recent thread about Classical vs. Barrington public high schools, which also included a fair number assessments of East Side private schools. What is the perception of where Rocky Hill falls in the private school mix?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 03:07 PM

474 posts, read 2,186,356 times
You can try www.riliving.com which has the following link regarding RI education:

http://www.riliving.com/oceanstate/Education/middleschools.asp (broken link)

If that is not working properly, try:

www.schoolmatters.com

Old 03-13-2007, 07:38 PM

75 posts, read 277,174 times
Default Rocky Hill

Well first its in Warwick. Its very expensive even compared with other higher end private schools.(pushing 20K yearly)
This does not bring quality mind you. Your kids will be going to school with kids that have everything and feel they deserve it.(not all of course) I find this bring up a whole host of entitlement issues as well as other things.
I'm looking at Bay View for my daughter who is 9, I like a faith based school myself. The public schools are just too wishy washy and cannot challange her at this point.
Good Luck hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:45 PM

9 posts, read 25,645 times
My daughter entered RHS when she was a freshman in the Upper School. We'd just moved to East Greenwich. She had a wonderful 4 years there. She was afforded opportunities in student leadership, theater, sports and community service that she wouldn't have gotten in a public high school. Many students are on financial aid and they are not a bunch of spoiled rich kids. There is a very strong family atmosphere there where every child is known, respected and valued. The academics are above average and the list of college acceptances is impressive. It's a great school.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,895 times
My daughter attends RHS and had flourished each year. She will graduate next year and I can not say enough good things about the staff and the support she has received. The achedemics are challenging and they expect everyone to learn to thier potential. AP classes in senior year is a sure sign of what kids can do when they are happy and being challenged.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,035 times
Default Terrific School

My daughter attended Rocky Hill from middle school through the upper school and we could not be happier. It was our first private school experience and we are so happy we went there to check it out. The campus is beautiful and there is a genuine family community there. She had terrific teachers and had excellent college counseling. She is in college now and doing very well but misses Rocky Hill. Our son is in the upper school now and has been at the school since the second grade. He won't hear of going anywhere else. You should go for a visit and see for yourself.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 AM

564 posts, read 1,863,703 times
Well, even though it's an old thread I'll chime in.
My children attended the lower school at RHS and they thrived there.
We are defintely NOT priviledged money wise, it was a struggle to pay for but worth every sacrifice.
The teachers are wonderful, they know each and every student and make them feel special by helping them succeeed- there is no fluff in the academics. There was NO teasing- being a science geek, a math nerd, and a history freak were celebrated as much as being a good athlete. My children were encouraged to be themselves and their interests were nurtured by the teachers, fellow students, and administration. The academics are excellent, they are both ahead of their peers at parochial school by at least a year in all areas.
Elective sports- sailing? Yes. What a treat for a 5th grader to take sailing as an elective sport! A beach to study plant and animal life.
Field trips to NY- Ellis Island, a Broadway play, Liberty Island. Traveling exhibits as they came to the area. Overnight canoe trips that explored science AND history.

I can't say enough good things about Rocky Hill School. But, you do pay for it. If it's doable, go for it.

(I found some of the parents to be a bit distant in my dealings with them, but my children and theirs had no such problems, and I wasn't sending my children there as a statement of my success. And plenty of the parents remain friends to this day).

Old 10-30-2009, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 29,375 times
I know you posted this several months ago, but I'm also curious about RHS. My son needs some academic support with writing, but is a smart kid. A little socially awkward though, and can't really tolerate team sports. Do quirky boys fit in OK? I'm getting the picture that the kids are not all snooty or entitled - are they open minded to non-jock boys and is there a good policy against bullying?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
My sisters both went there and the classes are small so you'll get lots of individual attention and a good education. Both of my sisters transferred to bigger boarding schools after their years at Rocky Hill. They liked it but my mother had to drive them from Jamestown to a bus stop in North Kingston and she didn't like that. I think if they lived in East Greenwich rather than Jamestown, they might have liked it better and stayed longer. However with a school that small you lose some of the extra curricular activities and music and art that you'd get in a bigger school.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 PM

564 posts, read 1,863,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclorama View Post
I know you posted this several months ago, but I'm also curious about RHS. My son needs some academic support with writing, but is a smart kid. A little socially awkward though, and can't really tolerate team sports. Do quirky boys fit in OK? I'm getting the picture that the kids are not all snooty or entitled - are they open minded to non-jock boys and is there a good policy against bullying?

They have NO bullying. It was quite a shock when they changed schools. I believe your son will do well at RHS. They have academic support available, one of my sons is dyslexic and he did very well there. Team sports aren't mandatory, but they are not competetive like they are at other schools. My sons left there thinking nerds were cool, one of them and a friend memorized pi to 30 places for fun.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island