U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 AM

6 posts, read 15,546 times

Advertisements

After extensive researching, fact checking and overall hair pulling, I think Providence,Ri might be the place for us when we relocate this summer. The main reason is a particular school I am smitten with, "School One" for his continued high school education and the great colleges in its vicinities. Now I know the economy isn't what it could be and there are some leadership issues to be addressed on the state level ( I'm hailing from Cincinnati, OH, so this is nothing new) but from all the information I have come across, I think this might be an ideal location for us. My son is 14 going on 40-so I wanted to get a reality check, so to speak, about activities for him, I'm an single parent, independantly employed, so this makes things a little easier...but...Help! Also if you have any additional information on the school "School One" it would much appreciated. Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 AM

257 posts, read 1,285,976 times
Make sure there is a market here for whatever your "independent employment" is before you move! For a 14 year old there is tons to do in RI (beach, beach, beach!). One hint I'd offer is live close to the RIPTA route 14 bus, so your son can hop on it to Narragansett Beach and not have to bother you for a ride in the summer. And in the other direction he can be in downtown Providence in about a half hour. The 14 runs through North KIngstown, East Greenwich and Warwick before becoming express on I-95 to downtown Providence.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:40 PM

Thanks, especially for the heads up about the bus.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM

8,513 posts, read 13,427,941 times
Since the school is on the East Side, you'd probably want to live there or very nearby. Ohio cost of living will be less than here. Are you looking to buy or rent- what kind of budget?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 PM

To Hollytree:
I'm looking to buy, more than probably a condo or town home, 300k is my max. I'd want something newer if possible. I know the property taxes there can be a bear though.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

10,934 posts, read 19,384,772 times
^You can probably find something for close to that price in the East Side. Also look at Pawtucket (a loft for sale in Downtown Pawtucket for example: http://providence.craigslist.org/paying (broken link) particular attention to the area along East Ave. (turns into Hope Street) once you cross into Providence.

You might be able to get something in East Greenwich, Warwick, or North Kingstown if you want a little more suburban. Bristol, Warren and Barrington are nice as well.

Your son, especially when he is a few years older, will LOVE the East Side. If he's the type that enjoys reading, learning, and all things academia, there are fewer better places to be. Also, there are plenty of cool burger joints, coffee or tea shops and hang outs that are popular among high school and college kids. It's just a nice place to be. There's plenty to do, he should NEVER get bored. The Beach is awesome. Even if he has to make some transfers to get the bus, it'll probably be worth it. When he gets his license, he'll probably do some driving down to Newport for the day which is great too. Also, Boston is about an hour train ride (and a pretty cheap one too) North from either Providence or Pawtucket so that's always doable for an afternoon.

Good luck!

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-22-2009 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: no realtor links, please.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM

Irfox:
Thanks so much. After reading your post, my son definitely likes the idea of a taking a train ride into Boston. Independance abounds!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM

388 posts, read 1,306,994 times
Default School One

I went to School One in the Eighties; lots of talented, creative, students from many different families and incomes. Back then, while a very supportive environment, it was quite unstructured and for many of us creative types the distractions of fun in Providence and RI were too great. Since then, I know they greatly changed things and appear to have much, much higher expectations from their students.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 PM

To Terrasurf:
Thanks for your imput. Reading about this school via reviews and its website only took me so far. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 AM

8,513 posts, read 13,427,941 times
There are no houses currently ( or usually) listed on the east side for under 349. A condo would be your best bet. It would probably be a renovated older property- but you could find something nice I'm sure. Providence is a historic city known for its fabulous architecture and older housing- new buildings are scarce.

If you want a house, the best & shortest commutes to the East Side are Oak Hill in Pawtucket (as suggested previously) and East Providence (Riverside or Rumford). You could buy a house in EP in your price range. PM me if you have more questions on this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island