Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 32,608 times

Advertisements

I had the chance to go through some of the threads on Newport. I have been contemplating buying a house in the city. It would be great to discuss the neighborhoods/wards in the city.

I am getting the sense that Newport is comprised of very upscale and downtrodden parts, can anyone identify them? In my research I came across:

5 Fifth Ward
Yachting Village
Broadway
Van Zandt
Kerry Hill
Bellevue
Historic Hill
Thames Street

I am, ofcourse, looking forward to visit in the next month. Having a profile about of these areas of the Newport. So if you have any thoughts or links toa ny websites, I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEw Englander81 View Post
I had the chance to go through some of the threads on Newport. I have been contemplating buying a house in the city. It would be great to discuss the neighborhoods/wards in the city.

I am getting the sense that Newport is comprised of very upscale and downtrodden parts, can anyone identify them? In my research I came across:

5 Fifth Ward
Yachting Village
Broadway
Van Zandt
Kerry Hill
Bellevue
Historic Hill
Thames Street

I am, ofcourse, looking forward to visit in the next month. Having a profile about of these areas of the Newport. So if you have any thoughts or links toa ny websites, I would greatly appreciate it!
Wow no responses. I am guessing no one from Newport wants to speak up. I had the chance to visit the town and really liked it!

Eventhough I went under pretty miserable and rainy conditions, I found Newport to be a small, charming seaside village.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:33 PM

26 posts, read 174,707 times
Upscale and poor. There is no inbetween in Newport. Maybe the Naval Base but that has polluted water. I'd stay away from the base at all costs. they are selling off gov. housing (not cheap either) and it's got polluted water and pests.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally0 View Post
Upscale and poor. There is no inbetween in Newport. Maybe the Naval Base but that has polluted water. I'd stay away from the base at all costs. they are selling off gov. housing (not cheap either) and it's got polluted water and pests.
Thanks for the information. I would've never guessed that the area around the Naval Base has polluted water/pests.

I have been down to Newport for two consecutive weekends now. My take on the neighborhoods:

Fifth Ward: Borders Thames Street. Old houses, very few have driveways. Heavily Irish neighborhood.
Yachting Village: Actually the same area as the Fifth Ward, so please read the comments above.
Broadway: The main drag. If you come into Newport through Rt 114, Broadway is the in-town name for the route. Stately newer homes, wider streets, and heavy traffic on Broadway.
Van Zandt: Older homes, some very nicely maintained. Diverse neighborhood, with a historic African American presence.
Kerry Hill: Old homes, most in need of repair. Very close to Washington Square Historic District. Closest to a rundown neighborhood for Newport, although slowly gentrifying. Plus side, a lot of parking spaces and convenience to the 'touristy' bit of Newport.
Bellevue: This neighborhood is actually off of Bellevue Ave (the road with the mansions). Very solidly middle to upper middle class. Well kept homes, easy parking spaces. Just a nice neighborhood. Saw many out of state license plates, so I imagine an affluent residential demographic.
Historic Hill: Not sure about this neighborhood. I did a lot of driving around town but could not seem to locate it.
Thames Street: Highly congested thriving shopping district. Mixed housing many with storefronts and apartments above. Many Navy personnel, tourists, and young professionals seen walking around.

I apologize if I offend anyone with my descriptions. They are primarily based on my experiences during the past few weeks.

I will post a few photos for everyone, as soon as I get a digital camera. I am a bit surprised to see the lack of discussion on Newport, considering that it is the second most important city/town after Providence.

If you have something to add, please do share your thoughts.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 AM

414 posts, read 2,276,741 times
Newport has it's share of nice and crappy parts. But it doesn't have a strong employment force there. And commuting out of Newport each morning/evening is a hassle...

Old 07-01-2007, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 10,964 times
Sally0 is right. The waste treatment plant is right near the Navy Base and it is usually clogged up with sewage overflow. Even driving past you say "Quel Mauvais Odeur" and the hotels and motels near the treatment plant are the cheapest in town because the odor from the treatment plant is very, very noticeable in that area. The apartments are cheap in that area also, but the residents can just go out for bottled water.

The City hired a company called "Earth Tech" who sucked up most of the waste, but it only does a partial job, otherwise the sewage would overflow onto the streets.

Why would anyone want to invest in that area?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,943,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty83 View Post
Sally0 is right. The waste treatment plant is right near the Navy Base and it is usually clogged up with sewage overflow. Even driving past you say "Quel Mauvais Odeur" and the hotels and motels near the treatment plant are the cheapest in town because the odor from the treatment plant is very, very noticeable in that area. The apartments are cheap in that area also, but the residents can just go out for bottled water.

The City hired a company called "Earth Tech" who sucked up most of the waste, but it only does a partial job, otherwise the sewage would overflow onto the streets.

Why would anyone want to invest in that area?
This is NEw Englander81, just changed my screen name.

It would be very helpful if you would identify the neighborhood near the Naval Base?

I would identify that neighborhood off of 138A (Farewell Street) or are you referring to 138 (Admiral Kalbfus Rd).

Housing prices are still quite high, some of the sections of the town are quite overvalued. I still believe that the charm and history of Newport makes the town a good place to hold property.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 10,429 times
New Englander 81
5 Fifth Ward Completely over rated No parking, narrow streets, high priced for what you get. I know because I own a house there. But I live in my other house in North End. It suits me better. Its much more convienent to get off the island and shop, and avoid the BS, but a 10 min walk and your right downtown.

Yachting Village Young People crowded parking situation

Broadway Large homes, some multi families owned by working class/professionals

Van Zandt Working class professionals and some run down sections between Van Zandt and B'way

Kerry Hill DUMP Its where I would go look for my bicycle when it got stolen

Bellevue Over Rated over priced...especially condos

Historic Hill Upscale houses some condos shops and rare if a house has offstreet parking

Thames Street Shops and multi families. Last Winter 41 shops closed down in newport many on thames St, that prooves that the small businessman finds it hard to thrive in this town. Rent is insane

Last edited by wasabi1600; 10-15-2007 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 76,815 times
Don't overlook The Point (or Historic Point). One of the older neighborhoods in town, it is located between America's Cup and the bay (just up from the visitors center). There are many colonial homes, a good number with off-street parking. There are also very few college rentals. It is less crowded than other parts of town and you can even find a parking spot on the street in the summer! Tends to be one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Newport.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:35 PM

9 posts, read 61,590 times
The neighborhoods of Newport are different and distinct. The upper end of Broadway is nice but away from the downtown area. The fifth ward is totally over-rated and not very charming. Historic hill is nice but very expensive. My favorite neighborhoods are the Point and Kerry Hill. The point took a long time to get where it is - lots of restored homes - in the 60's - 80's it was run down but now it's beautiful. Kerry Hill has been up and coming (contrary to one of the posts that calls it a dump). Kerry Hill is close to downtown with friendly people who are fixing up their homes. Lots of historic homes. Don't listen to all of the negativity - check every neighborhood and decide for yourself. People around here just LOVE to complain about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island