Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,312,397 times

Advertisements

You folks have me all wrong. First off, don't cast me as some republican slamming Obama, because I'm not. I think both parties suck big time. As far as illegals not voting, get real. They have drivers licenses, they seem to get the papers needed to find jobs, their kids go to schools, and they qualify for all sorts of local and state government aid - don't kid yourself into thinking they don't find way to vote. And even if they don't, their legal relatives do, and they all vote Democrat.

Second, remember this - the key word here is ILLEGAL, not immigrant. I don't really care where someone is from: Mexico, Guatemala, Laos, China, England, France, Canada or Antarctica. If you are here ILLEGALLY, than you should be sent home. Think about the sheer weight of the numbers. Even if we use the woefully low total of 16,000 that you state, mulitply that over the rest of the country, allowing for our small size, and you will end of with a number somewhere in the millions, and that is a huge drain on our nations limited jobs and over-burdened social support network. I believe you used the 16,000 quoted on People Stats? If so, they also quote the total US illegal population at just under 7 million. That's huge.

Again, I am no right wing anti immigration, anti Democrat or anti Obama zealot - I honestly believe that both parties have led our nation down a very dangerous path, and I fear that our future as a world leader is doubt. If anything, this recession should serve as proof that the nations safety net is much more tenuous than the politicians would have you believe. Just look at all the cuts that states are getting ready to make, all over the country. It may or may not be coincidence that states like California and New York are among the highest in illegal immigrant population AND among the worst economies.

Illegal immigration is but one of many, many costly and damaging issues facing our country, but it is one that we NEED to deal with if we ever want to truly straighten out the mess we're in now the right way instead of just slapping an $800 billion dollar band-aid on it.

Or, if it's easier for you, just continue to avoid the difficult decisions that need to be made. Just stick your head back in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong so you can feel better about yourself. Our children and grandchildren will figure out a solution, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 PM

109 posts, read 368,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post

Or, if it's easier for you, just continue to avoid the difficult decisions that need to be made. Just stick your head back in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong so you can feel better about yourself. Our children and grandchildren will figure out a solution, right?
Who are you talking to? Me? You must not be talking to me because I specifically stated that illegal immigration was a problem... or you must of just conveniently glanced over that. Illegal immigration is a problem. I just think its ridiculous hearing everyone blame their lack of being able to get a job on illegals. That is ridiculous. I suggest if you are talking to me, go back and read all the posts. If not, ignore.

Also, although you might not relate illegal immigration to any one particular race, apparently many feel otherwise here because all I hear are hispanics this and hispancs that. While hispanics are a major contributor, they are not the sole populous of the illegal immigrating class. Also, I think its funny that you think all illegal immigrants vote democratic or their family counterparts do. Funny. Finally, I was just concentrating on RI not the whole country. If you wanted to look at those figures, it would still be a poor excuse to blame someone's inability to get a job on illegals taking away their jobs. I guess everyone thats out of a job must be looking for domestic jobs, gardening, kitchen help, etc. etc. and the like since if you researched this at all, you would see that is where 97% of them get jobs--not in an office environment, working for the government, professional jobs, secretarial jobs, selling cars, in the hospitals etc, etc. etc.

Sure, there might be several million in the entire United States...but how many legal residents are there in the US...lets not go that route either because its a losing argument. Anyway, enough of this. I am not going to change anyones mind or convince them to think any differently that they have been thinking for years. All it causes me is confusion. Leave me out of this, Im done. I have a move to concentrate on.

Last edited by Fudgecopper; 07-06-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
As far as illegals not voting, get real. They have drivers licenses, they seem to get the papers needed to find jobs, their kids go to schools, and they qualify for all sorts of local and state government aid - don't kid yourself into thinking they don't find way to vote. And even if they don't, their legal relatives do, and they all vote Democrat.
And those make up half of the voters for Barack Obama? Hyperbole much?
I for sure have no idea how somebody without citizenship will vote in a presidential election.

As for the rest of your post, maybe that can be discussed on the immigration forum.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
I for sure have no idea how somebody without citizenship will vote in a presidential election.
I could say the same for a dead person. Or a dog. But both have happened - yes, both of them. The power of absentee and provisional ballots is quite astonishing.

That said, the illegal immigration issue is so huge in this country, it is not even funny anymore. My parents and grandparents legally immigrated here from Portugal. They worked, they paid taxes and eventually got their citizenship. They had to go through a strict process - having a sponsor, showing they could get work, etc. The fact that we know there are people here illegally and simply (a) ignore it to the point of not passing laws to aid in stopping it, and (b) instead work on a "bailout" plan to reward illegal aliens with legal status with the equivalent of "but don't do that again"-type fines is completely perplexing and irritating. I share the same frustration expressed by others here.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM

688 posts, read 2,135,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I could say the same for a dead person. Or a dog. But both have happened - yes, both of them. The power of absentee and provisional ballots is quite astonishing.
Absolutely. But I still think the numbers are a bit skewed here.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Don't forget those voters over the age of 120
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island