U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 PM

42 posts, read 191,020 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm from Memphis tn and have lived here all my life. I just turned 28 and ended a long term relationship and I desperatly need some change. My friend Melissa is from rhode island and getting ready to move back and loves it there. I've done a lot of research and found that providence has a lot of culture which is what is lacking in Memphis. I'm a makeup artist and will be transfering with my job... I hope. I know the winter can be tough but I'm up for the challenge. I'm wondering if it will be hard to meet new people and if I would even be excepted living there. Like I said I just turned 28 and I need change. Something new...a new adventure. I love the charm and history of new England. Any advice on moving and where to look would be great. Thanks in advance!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,693 times
I think you would find a lot to do here and meet a lot of people! Providence is great, I live on the East side, not to be confused with East Providence, and it is a very diverse neighborhood!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM

688 posts, read 2,049,652 times
The East Side of Providence might be ideal as already mentioned. Pawtuxet might fit the bill too. I wouldn't really worry about being accepted or finding new people to hang out with. If you work at it you'll meet others, we aren't _that_ reserved up here.

Do worry though about the job situation in RI. These are tough times and while I have no clue if makeup artists are in demand at the moment I'd wager they aren't doing so hot either right now. Nobody is, unfortunately.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Thank you for your response. I am hoping to transfer with my job but I'm also able to do other things beside what I do now.how is the cost of living there? I will be renting

Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,531,755 times
You should be able to find a nice place between $700-1000. Providence has a lot of nightlife, for a city its size it has a lot of gay clubs.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:25 PM

13 posts, read 39,157 times
I would say RI is definitely gay-friendly. My sister in law is always going to clubs, shows and parties in Providence with her girlfriend. Hopefully soon we can follow in MA's footsteps as far as marriage, too!

One bedrooms are pretty affordable, you can take your pick of studios at 800-1000 in the city and even better outside it- avoid Pawtucket and Woonsocket at all costs, though.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 PM

I'm totally for gay marriage! Lol getting out of the south is the best part. I can't wait to come visit this fall! The rent is a little bit more than Memphis but not much. I found a few places but with out being there its hard to know if its a good area or not.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,364,806 times
Providence has an excellent gay scene for its size. many bars, clubs, block parties, events. The mayor (very nice guy) is gay you will see him out regularly for pride and block parties. The scene is also very friendly and approachable as can be an issue in other cities. You shouldn't have a problem making friends/meeting people. Also, Boston and NYC are fairly close. But yeah, I can answer your questions concerning that area for sure.

PS. My good friend is a makeup artist for MAC cosmetics here in Prov.

As far as living here, Check out the east side. Great shops, cafes, book stores ect around Brown University/Thayer St/Wickeden St areas.

Here are some websites for info.

http://www.edgeprovidence.com/
http://www.prideri.com/
http://mysite.verizon.net/respu91r/index.html
http://www.marriageequalityri.org/

Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 AM

That's cool your friend works for Mac! I work for sephora. I love what I do so really hope I can transfer or find another position hehe maybe even with Mac. I think it is so cool that the mayor is gay and that he comes to events. I can't wait to move!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyri View Post
...avoid Pawtucket and Woonsocket at all costs, though.
Why? More crime? Different social scene? Why?

Valkyri, you made a very strong statement there...so give us your reasons, please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>