Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 07:30 PM

78 posts, read 254,828 times

Advertisements

Hi!

So.

I'm an 18-year-old living in Santa Monica, in the Los Angeles area...
I'm going to a community college to transfer to a 4-year to be a painter/illustrator... And heard about the Rhode Island School of Design, and may apply there...

I'm considering moving to Rhode Island, so far, because:
- it's cheaper that SF or LA
- it sounds pretty artsy, like Seattle maybe
- it not crazy conservative
- i'm tired of the constant sunshine here in LA
- Europe would be closer

And i've been having this crazy desire to move somewhere really far away and really different. Maybe as some kind of rite of passage. A lot of you probably know the feeling.

Have any of you moved there from far away too? I'd really appreciate any general advice... Or if you can add any more reasons to move there to the list...

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to go to RISD if you can get in and if you can afford to pay for it somehow. Hope you've got money and/or can get scholarships because tuition is not cheap and housing is not cheap. Do you have a portfolio?

It will be a big change from Santa Monica, since you'll be going to one of the older and more respected art schools in the US (founded in 1877). You'll experience a four season climate as well. The arts scene is very vibrant in the area. You mentioned being closer to Europe- moving from S.M. to Providence will feel much more like you're already in Europe.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:44 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Well said Holly, esp. on that last point.

I moved up here from Florida in 2003, and believe me that was also a huge change - for the better. As long as you don't mind colder weather (I prefer the diversity of the seasons here vs. Florida, but it's not for everybody), the rest of what you say makes it sound like Providence would be right up your alley.

Just be aware that Providence is a much smaller city than Seattle. (I noticed your comparison.) So, while it has just about the most a city of its size can offer, it will almost certainly be on a smaller scale. (Of course, Boston is only an hour away and NYC is only three hours away.)

Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM

396 posts, read 1,398,803 times
There is definitely a alot of artists and hipsters in Providence. The city and people have more of an 'edgy' feel to it than Boston, IMO. Like so many cities in the West, which are spread out, Seattle's urban core felt fairly small to me when I visited there. I guess we've just been at it so much longer here in the East.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:42 PM

78 posts, read 254,828 times
Ah. Sounds good! Yes, I would appreciate seasons. Thanks for your responses

Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
There is definitely a alot of artists and hipsters in Providence. The city and people have more of an 'edgy' feel to it than Boston, IMO. Like so many cities in the West, which are spread out, Seattle's urban core felt fairly small to me when I visited there. I guess we've just been at it so much longer here in the East.
Thanks for posting that point about Seattle terrasurf. I have to confess I haven't been to Seattle since I was in junior high, but are you saying that its urban core is smaller than Providence?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM

396 posts, read 1,398,803 times
Yes, I probably could have clarified this butter. ;-) Anyway, what I truly meant was....the hip, cultural, parts of Seattle seemed small compared the overall size of the city. Whereas Providence seems to offer more of this, in relation to its smaller size. That volcano (Mt.Raineir) is truly something else though.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Ah, makes me all the more proud of Providence. Thanks for the clarification.

Now how will you clarify the butter? I hope you're not planning on watering it down.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrycurious View Post
Hi!
I'm considering moving to Rhode Island, so far, because:
- it's cheaper that SF or LA
- it sounds pretty artsy, like Seattle maybe
- it not crazy conservative
- i'm tired of the constant sunshine here in LA
- Europe would be closer
If these are your sincere reasons for wanted to move to RI, you will fit right in, and probably enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island