Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,038 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the affilates for the Yankees and end up being surprised to see that they are carried on the radio in Providence, RI which is a mere 40 miles from Boston.
I had a few questions

1) Why is this the case? How long has this been going on?

2) Since stations are in a business, which is driven by ratings and interest, do the Yankees hold a substantial enough of a fanbase in RI, or NY teams in general, which is why they have an affilate here?

3) In general, I am from Trumbull, CT which supports NY teams but went to college in Boston with all the Mass fans, I would love to be in the northeast and my best chance near Boston, but I can't stand the 200-3 bias which goes on. I can't have opinion without it taking 3 hours to resolve and part of me dies lol.
I would be overcome with joy if this somehow indicates in New England but outside the Boston area there are a lot of NY fans and it's not 200-3 therefore I can find a small niche with a similar passion.

4) Do the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, major NY teams have a following in RI, and if so, why since it's closer by a lot to BOS city?

5) How come they do not air games for the Yankees on Wednesday?
-What about when there is a conflict with the Pats, does another station pick it up?

6) How is the reception of 790, can you get into southern RI, MA, CT?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
I'm looking at the affilates for the Yankees and end up being surprised to see that they are carried on the radio in Providence, RI which is a mere 40 miles from Boston.
I had a few questions

1) Why is this the case? How long has this been going on?

2) Since stations are in a business, which is driven by ratings and interest, do the Yankees hold a substantial enough of a fanbase in RI, or NY teams in general, which is why they have an affilate here?

3) In general, I am from Trumbull, CT which supports NY teams but went to college in Boston with all the Mass fans, I would love to be in the northeast and my best chance near Boston, but I can't stand the 200-3 bias which goes on. I can't have opinion without it taking 3 hours to resolve and part of me dies lol.
I would be overcome with joy if this somehow indicates in New England but outside the Boston area there are a lot of NY fans and it's not 200-3 therefore I can find a small niche with a similar passion.

4) Do the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, major NY teams have a following in RI, and if so, why since it's closer by a lot to BOS city?

5) How come they do not air games for the Yankees on Wednesday?
-What about when there is a conflict with the Pats, does another station pick it up?

6) How is the reception of 790, can you get into southern RI, MA, CT?
Thanks.
Even Boston fans want to know what is going on with the Yankees. 790 has had the Yanks for 4-5 years. There is a large base of fans in the Providence area. For that matter there are many NYC sports fans here. It is consider the anti vote for Boston sport teams. Is distance all that matters for sports fans? Providence is pretty independent with its sports fanatism. Many just don't like the city of Boston. 790 can be heard up to 50 miles away during daytime, but only about 20 at night. It depends on the way the signal is sent out. You are more likely to receive it in Southern RI at night than NW RI.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 AM

1) Does it come in good metro Providence and southern MA?
2) Are there really that many NY fans in Providence, RI?
-Why since it is SO much closer to Boston?
-Is it the Italian/Irish ethnic thing?

3) In RI is it pretty split NY and BOS?
4) Do the Rangers and Giants have a base there or just the Yanks and otherwise are overblown?
5) Do you get YES or MSG there?

Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 PM

100 posts, read 465,998 times
Quote:
1) Does it come in good metro Providence and southern MA?
I believe so but as a Sox fan I can't say I listen to Yankee radio broadcasts.
Quote:
2) Are there really that many NY fans in Providence, RI?
-Why since it is SO much closer to Boston?
-Is it the Italian/Irish ethnic thing?
Here's the short answer. There are quite a few NY fans in the Providence Metro area and I personally do think it's an Italian thing that gets passed down from generation to generation. If I had to guess, the highest concentration of RI Yankee fans would reside in places like Cranston, Johnston, North Providence and parts of Providence.

Quote:
3) In RI is it pretty split NY and BOS?
NO, it's far more Boston.
Quote:
4) Do the Rangers and Giants have a base there or just the Yanks and otherwise are overblown?
Yes and no. I find that many Yankees fans are also Giants fans. As for the Rangers, can't say the same.

Quote:
5) Do you get YES or MSG there?
No, but my cable company does offer the MLB package and most all Yankee games are shown. It costs about $150 for the season.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:17 PM

Thanks, interesting.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,233 times
I'm a Yankee fan. My heritage is French and Irish. I love that the Score carries the games. There are a lot of Yankee fans here but it's definitely not 50/50. I take a lot of abuse, but that's what makes the game fun. To those who say, "How can you be a Yankee fan in RI?", I respond, "They are the Boston Red Sox, not the New England Red Sox!" Tickets to Fenway are so pricey and hard to get, I'd rather travel to NY for a game any day.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 AM

213 posts, read 936,362 times
Default Does this mean that RI does not get NESN

Does Providence get NESN?

I am thinking of relocating to Providence. I thought there would be more Sox fans than Yankees fans. Christ, I may need to rethink this move.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
Does Providence get NESN?

I am thinking of relocating to Providence. I thought there would be more Sox fans than Yankees fans. Christ, I may need to rethink this move.
yes, it gets NESN! There are definitely more Sox fans than Y fans. It is probably 10 to 1. If that close!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:24 AM

213 posts, read 936,362 times
Default oh, thank god

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
yes, it gets NESN! There are definitely more Sox fans than Y fans. It is probably 10 to 1. If that close!
mr2448, thanks for putting my mind at ease. I was scared for a moment.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:51 PM

640 posts, read 2,011,682 times
Because historically a lot of the Italian communities (huge in Providence) in Southern New England liked the Yankees because they were early recruiters of Italian-Americans like Tony Lazzeri, Joe Dimaggio, and Phil Rizzuto. Plus it drives the Red Sox fans bananas that they are many many Yankee fans in New England, despite their hard headed denial. You will note Yankee affiliates in NH, VT, and Maine as well....even Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: