Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 19,709 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Providence in November for work and I am looking for a nice apartment complex either on the east side or downtown providence, somewhere safe where I can ideally walk to cafes, restaurants and other places (so that I don't always have to get in the car for everything). I'd rather be in a place that has covered parking since I am a single girl and don't want to be shovelling snow in the winter!

I've heard of the Westminster Lofts but they seem a little pricey. Does anyone know if their location is safe? I also read about east side commons which look great but it doesn't look like the apartments are for rent. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I already looked into the Avalon & the 903 but have heard negative comments....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:39 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Avalon is about as good as it gets for apt complexes per se. If I were you, I'd make an appt with a realtor (the landlord/owner pays the fee), state your budget and needs, and have them take you to a number of places to see whether you would want to be downtown or on the East Side. There are also plenty of places on the East Side for rent which might include condos, floor of a larger house, etc. which you might prefer to an apartment complex.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
There's a wonderful apartment building up on Smith Street, just across the highway. I can't remember the name of it, but I did have a friend I used to visit there. There's also apartment buildings up on the hill, you might check into some of those.

Covered parking, that might be a problem unless you are willing to pay for a garage.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,988,267 times
It's worth noting that "apartment complexes" aren't really something New England does... at least not IN the cities. You'll find that most rentals are in multi-family homes. There are some complexes, but the vast majority of the housing stock in the Northeast is very old and it's hard to find the land area to develop a newish apartment complex. When you're looking for apartments, it can help to ask when the last time the apartment you've been looking at has been renovated (even though the housing stock is old, many of the apartments themselves are quite modern). It also wouldn't hurt to look at converted loft apartments like Westminster Street Lofts (downtown), The Promenade (downtown), Rising Sun (http://www.risingsunmills.com/ - broken link) (Olneyville... not in your target area), Grant Mill (http://www.bradysullivanapartments.com/grantmill/index.php - broken link) (Near Broadway/Fed Hill), or Pearl Street Lofts (again, South of your target area).

There are a number of similar modern conversions in Pawtucket as well. I'd use craigslist to try and get an idea of what's out there as I think it's going to be difficult to find a nice, new, complex. People up this way tend to have an aversion to them. The units in a multi-family home can often put you in a prime location anyway. On the East Side, look at places near Fox Point, Wayland Square, Thayer St./College Hill. Downtown, almost anywhere will work. East of the old elevated 195 stretch (I can't believe I can call it "the old 195" now) can get a little rough around the edges, but that area is due for some MAJOR renovation with the opening of the I-Way.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 AM

4 posts, read 19,709 times
Hi Irfox, thanks for the list of apartment buildings. I agree with you that most of those are a little outside of the happening areas. I am a single girl and it is important to me that I feel safe where I live. The last thing I want to worry about is car break-ins and drug deals happening right outside my door...

About the Westminster Lofts, they are downtown but are they in a good location? Is it safe to walk around over there? I like the style but it is a bit pricey ($1100 for a studio, granted a big studio but still).

As for the East Side, I guess I'll have to look into the updated multi-family houses. One question though, most don't have covered parking/garages, so what do people when it snows? Do they have to come out after a snow storm and clean their car?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,727,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell007 View Post
Hi Irfox, thanks for the list of apartment buildings. I agree with you that most of those are a little outside of the happening areas. I am a single girl and it is important to me that I feel safe where I live. The last thing I want to worry about is car break-ins and drug deals happening right outside my door...

About the Westminster Lofts, they are downtown but are they in a good location? Is it safe to walk around over there? I like the style but it is a bit pricey ($1100 for a studio, granted a big studio but still).

As for the East Side, I guess I'll have to look into the updated multi-family houses. One question though, most don't have covered parking/garages, so what do people when it snows? Do they have to come out after a snow storm and clean their car?
I sent you 2 PM's did you get it??? check under your user name for notifications.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:49 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Quote: "I think it's going to be difficult to find a nice, new, complex. People up this way tend to have an aversion to them. The units in a multi-family home can often put you in a prime location anyway. "

Don't think we have any particular aversion to them! It's due to the age of the city and the growth pattern. Fortunately, buildings in the urban core were not bulldozed for apartment complexes- most of our original architecture has been preserved.

There are "modern" apt. complexes dating from the 1960s to within the last 10 to 20 years in Cranston, East Providence, Warwick, etc, because there was land available to build them.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
On the eastside there are some "complexes"... well.. they are large brick buildings....with many apartments.. not like the "modern" apartment complex with pool, clubhouse, etc.

One such "complex" is Wayland Manor.

What do we do when it snow? Well I put on my long down coat, hat, boots gloves....get the snow shovel and push broom out.. and dig out my car.

There is an apartment complex on Rt 6.. in East Providence. More affordable rents.... you'll not be car taxed to death like in Providence. A couple of my former co-workers moved from Providence to this complex.

$1000 a month for a studio. I would never, ever!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell007 View Post
One question though, most don't have covered parking/garages, so what do people when it snows? Do they have to come out after a snow storm and clean their car?

ROFL yes!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,289 times
I am now in a similar situation and I wanted to know what the outcome of your move was. I really like the look of the Westminster Lofts but I'm not sure how safe the area is or how much parking is! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island