Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

What are some positives about living in Providence...seems like I don't hear/read about them on here so much, but curious if people could list out somethings they like about living there...or about thinking of living there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 05:17 AM

171 posts, read 308,852 times
Lots of famers markets and well supported local farmers. farmfreshri.org

Vibrant arts scene with lots of local handmade crafters and galleries. (see Craftland store on Westminster Street downtown, Providence Open Market in Lippitt Park, and seasonal craft market at Hope Artiste Village on Main Street in Pawtucket).

Improving downtown with more residences, a grocery store (Gourmet Heaven on Weybosset Street), clothing (American Apperal), cheese (Farmstead - also on Wayland Avenue on the East Side), and other options.

Lots of colleges and universities for a small city.
Decent nightlife.
Great zoo (Roger Williams Park).
Three quality neighborhood movie theaters (the Avon on Thayer Street , the Cable Car on South Main Street, and the Columbus on Broadway).

Great local bakeries (Seven Stars on Broadway and Hope Street) and Sciallo Brothers (Atwells Avenue).

The relocation of I-195 which, if done properly, could lead to the reconnection of streets in downtown and the Jewelry District and the creation of great public spaces.

If I can think of more, I will post later but those are off the top of my head.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:02 AM

71 posts, read 151,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What are some positives about living in Providence...seems like I don't hear/read about them on here so much, but curious if people could list out somethings they like about living there...or about thinking of living there...
Uh, it isn't Woonsocket? Just throwing it out there...

Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
It's eas to take advantage of the art opportunities, plays, opera, concerts. Providence is also a great walking city. In fact, when I lived out near LaSalle Academy, I used to walk to work downtown - and home again. It was a great walk - about a mile. I could take the bus in bad weather. But the walk was a great way to start off my day - invigorating. On the way home, it was a great way to release the day's tension and leave my work problems, if any.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:26 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Providence takes a surprisingly high amount of heat on this forum for some reason.

To be fair, it's certainly not without its flaws. There is crime in sections (I find Providence to be a bit segregated), poverty is certainly an issue, and the economy is weaker right now than in most places.

However, Providence has some of the best historic neighborhoods in New England. The architecture from the buildings downtown (on of my favorite art-decos in the region) to the homes on College Hill is stunning.

Providence has more vibrant and TRUE neighborhood centers than any city in New England not named Boston.

For as much as people like to rip on it (no pun intended), RIPTA is a pretty decent public transit system. Providence also has various Amtrak Services (regional and Acela Express to Boston, New York and beyond) as well as Boston's MBTA commuter rail. starting in 2010, there will be MBTA service direct to T.F. Green airport making it the best connected airport in New England after Logan.

Providence is still relatively cheap compared to metro Boston. The rail service and proximity to Boston make it great for those who want to live in a truly urban environment without the costs associated with Boston. It sure as hell beats living in Lowell, Brockton, Haverhill, Worcester, etc.

The food. In my mind, with the possible exceptions of New Haven and Boston, Providence has the best food in New England. It has some great gourmet places, some of the best authentic Italian anywhere, and great cheap food. I love eating in Providence.

Despite the economy, Providence is still improving at it's core. Sure, many of the large scale projects have stalled, but that's the case world wide. Providence's downtown area is becoming much more mixed-use (residential and commercial). Adding people to the downtown area increases the demand for shops, restaurants, services, etc. Think about it, the BEST neighborhoods in the country are decidedly mixed-use... Back Bay in Boston, Georgetown in D.C. Rittenhouse Square in Philly, West Village in NYC, etc. Infusing more residential units into that area will without a doubt turn a good urban neighborhood into a great one.

The removal of Providence's "central artery" is an incredibly vital piece in the revitalization of that district of downtown. The Mall, Riverpark, and construction on the other city of downtown has worked wonders over there. The removal of I-195 from its current location should have a similar effect on this portion of downtown. Not only does it allow for more public space (and development!... it seems Providence has learned from Boston's bungling of the Greenway), but it removes a literal wall that divided parts of Providence's urban core. The removal of this "wall" ties the city center back together and that will inevitably lead to positive growth when combined with the new public space and (hopefully) smart development on the newly freed parcels of land.

Large healthcare and college presences assure continued relevance for Providence. So many "boom cities" today are the "bust" cities of tomorrow. Look at Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, and so many other cities that have whithered into shells of themselves. Providence, like Boston, has the unique advantage of having a major college and healthcare presence... fields that don't go out of demand. No matter what happens economically, education and healthcare are needed. Providence will always have those industries to fall back on in hard times (like now). This is a nice security blanket to have... Providence will never be a ghost town.

Providence's nightlife is good by New England standards. Last call is 2am and there's a vast variety of bars and clubs in the city. There's something for everyone... from the professional looking for a nice historic pub to grab a pint, to the college kid looking for a local dive, to the urban professional looking for an upscale lounge or club. Providence has it all... not many other cities in this region can say that.

Despite its flaws, Providence is a great little city. It gets a much harsher rap on this forum than it deserves. Check it out, I doubt you'll dislike it.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
Just wanted to say excellent post Irfox! I don't think anyone could put it better than that.

I tried to up your rating but it said I have to spread it around first haha.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
However, Providence has some of the best historic neighborhoods in New England. The architecture from the buildings downtown (on of my favorite art-decos in the region) to the homes on College Hill is stunning.
That's actually one of the major things that impresses me about Providence, as I've been viewing it on google maps. Absolutely gorgeous housing - and it looks more appealing than anywhere else I've seen in New England.

If anyone can suggest places with better or more interesting housing...I'd love to google map it...

Quote:
The food. In my mind, with the possible exceptions of New Haven and Boston, Providence has the best food in New England. It has some great gourmet places, some of the best authentic Italian anywhere, and great cheap food. I love eating in Providence.
Good Italian PIZZA always sounds good! Is it similar to NYC & New Haven? Or not quite? Even if it close, and nothing like Chicago-style, then it's all good to me!!

Quote:
Despite the economy, Providence is still improving at it's core. Sure, many of the large scale projects have stalled, but that's the case world wide. Providence's downtown area is becoming much more mixed-use (residential and commercial). Adding people to the downtown area increases the demand for shops, restaurants, services, etc. Think about it, the BEST neighborhoods in the country are decidedly mixed-use... Back Bay in Boston, Georgetown in D.C. Rittenhouse Square in Philly, West Village in NYC, etc. Infusing more residential units into that area will without a doubt turn a good urban neighborhood into a great one.
Agree, if Providence can do that, then it would be great to have an area like that for a lower price than those quite unaffordable to live great areas.

Quote:
The removal of Providence's "central artery" is an incredibly vital piece in the revitalization of that district of downtown. The Mall, Riverpark, and construction on the other city of downtown has worked wonders over there. The removal of I-195 from its current location should have a similar effect on this portion of downtown. Not only does it allow for more public space (and development!... it seems Providence has learned from Boston's bungling of the Greenway), but it removes a literal wall that divided parts of Providence's urban core. The removal of this "wall" ties the city center back together and that will inevitably lead to positive growth when combined with the new public space and (hopefully) smart development on the newly freed parcels of land.
I didn't know that! If that is true, and it does develop as you say, it would be quite ideal. Would bring a lot of new businesses and such as well, would be real interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island