Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,624 times

Advertisements

What are some neighborhoods around Providence that are walkable, bustling, and safe? Seems only College Hill and Downtown fit the bill. Are there any other areas that you'd recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Federal Hill, Wayland square, Hope Village, Wickenden St. all are on the East Side and are walkable.
Pawtuxet Village in Warwick has a walkable area of shops and is about 10 min away.

If you're thinking of commuting to Boston via downtown, you might stick to downtown and the Benefit St area- that way you can walk to the train.

Providence is a medium sized city mostly ringed by suburban towns, few of which have walkable cores, but many of which have relatively low priced houses of an older, charming, nature. Since it is an old city, we don't have Southern style HOA type development, we have "real" established neighborhoods in many price ranges, moods and cultures, ranging from working class to mansions.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:50 AM

335 posts, read 938,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Federal Hill, Wayland square, Hope Village, Wickenden St. all are on the East Side and are walkable.
Pawtuxet Village in Warwick has a walkable area of shops and is about 10 min away.

If you're thinking of commuting to Boston via downtown, you might stick to downtown and the Benefit St area- that way you can walk to the train.

Providence is a medium sized city mostly ringed by suburban towns, few of which have walkable cores, but many of which have relatively low priced houses of an older, charming, nature. Since it is an old city, we don't have Southern style HOA type development, we have "real" established neighborhoods in many price ranges, moods and cultures, ranging from working class to mansions.
and thank god for that!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,645 times
Quote:

Fed hill is not on east side.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 AM

My mistake- thanks for catching that Nate- Fed Hill is the other side of the freeway from downtown.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Is it possible for people to live in one of these walkable areas and be independent from the necessary of having a car?

I'm thinking of how most people in Manhattan can walk or take trains so easily, that a car is more hassle than its worth.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 AM

Very possible.

If you can propose a budget Tigerbeer, we can tell you if it would be affordable in your case.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Very possible.

If you can propose a budget Tigerbeer, we can tell you if it would be affordable in your case.
How about for at least a 2-bedroom for under $200,000? 3-bedroom is more preferrable though...(if it matters much).

What area would that put me in in Providence?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How about for at least a 2-bedroom for under $200,000? 3-bedroom is more preferrable though...(if it matters much).

What area would that put me in in Providence?
Look at real estate prices. riliving.com is a great resource.

I bought a 2BR house in Elmhurst for under $200k a year ago. There are a lot of foreclosures and we got lucky with our house. It's in a walkable neighborhood on a busy bus line, but it's not far from a not-as-nice neighborhood. Deals can be found, but you gotta look. I think real estate is back on the rise here, too.

For walkable neighborhoods, Federal Hill, College Hill, Wayland Square, the Chalkstone Ave area (that's where I live now, used to be on Federal Hill), parts of South Providence (though it is less desirable), Olneyville (also less desirable), and Summit. Downtown is walkable but not even close to that price range. Without a car, Federal Hill, parts of the East Side, and the Chalkstone area are probably your best bet. Chalkstone would be the most affordable and the East Side would be the least (probably not even in your price range). I know people on Federal Hill who don't own a car. They use Peapod for groceries and walk or take the bus to work.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Look at real estate prices. riliving.com is a great resource.

I bought a 2BR house in Elmhurst for under $200k a year ago. There are a lot of foreclosures and we got lucky with our house. It's in a walkable neighborhood on a busy bus line, but it's not far from a not-as-nice neighborhood. Deals can be found, but you gotta look. I think real estate is back on the rise here, too.

For walkable neighborhoods, Federal Hill, College Hill, Wayland Square, the Chalkstone Ave area (that's where I live now, used to be on Federal Hill), parts of South Providence (though it is less desirable), Olneyville (also less desirable), and Summit. Downtown is walkable but not even close to that price range. Without a car, Federal Hill, parts of the East Side, and the Chalkstone area are probably your best bet. Chalkstone would be the most affordable and the East Side would be the least (probably not even in your price range). I know people on Federal Hill who don't own a car. They use Peapod for groceries and walk or take the bus to work.
Federal Hill looks great from google map views. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island