Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:06 PM

47 posts, read 157,475 times

Advertisements

I am currently collecting information and photos pertaining to Narragansett Park, Pawtucket RI. This race track was closed in 1978 and only a small section of the grandstand remains and is currently used as a retail store.

I am hoping to make a webpage and photo album with the history of this track from when it was constructed in 1934 to current times.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Corrie~
intothesunstudio@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 07:35 AM

I've set up an e-mail account for this project. Any information, photos or memories can be sent to narragansettpark@yahoo.com

I've started working on the website, but not much is there at the moment and the appearance may change over time.

http://www.geocities.com/narragansettpark/

Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,246 times
Default Narragansett Park

Why the interest? What type of Narr Park history do you already own?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsab View Post
Why the interest? What type of Narr Park history do you already own?
I love horses and love history, especially local history. A few years ago I went shopping at the store that is currently in what is left of the grandstand and knew there was something special about it. I was fascinated with it and wanted to know all about it. Judging by the very scattered articles and photos on the internet it's starting to be forgotten except by people who worked there, raced horses there. I think the history should be preserved.

I don't own much. Scattered articles from across the internet. I have some data on the size of the track, number of people who could fit in the grandstand, clubhouse. I have some numbers of how much it cost to build the park, how long it took. Some horses that raced there. I'd like to know more about the people who ran the Park, what type of horses could qualify for the Narrgansett Special and Rhode Island Handicap. I'd love to get more information about the exact layout of the grandstand inside, as well as the clubhouse and stables.

I'm trying to find as much available information as I can before I start putting up too much on the website. I want the information to be as accurate as possible.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I am still looking for information and especially photos of 'Gansett. My website dedicated to the race track is now located here: Narragansett Park- Home

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Corrie~

Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,958 times
Default Narragansett Race track items

Corrie,

I was searching for interior photos of the track so that I could "prove" the authenticity of the sign that I own. I will send you a photo in the next day or so but back around the time of the fire, I aquired the sign that hung inside the track. It says " CASHIERS $10 " and is in the shape of an curved arrow. It is 2 sided with raised letters. One side is perfect - the other is missing some letters. DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS YET FROM INSIDE THE TRACK THAT MAY SHOW THIS SIGN HANGING? I also have some old programs (I'm sure you have many of these?) that I will send a photo of also.

Regards,
Steve

Old 02-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Steve, I sent you an e-mail, not sure if you received it.

Lots of new updates to the site thanks to some wonderful individuals. If you have photos of horses at the track, the track itself or anything Narragansett Park related please contact me so that I may add them to the site.

Thanks!

Corrie~
Narragansett Park- Home

Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,883 times
Default Racing Commissioners

Does anyone have a list of the racing commissioners for Narragansett Park?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsi View Post
Does anyone have a list of the racing commissioners for Narragansett Park?
In my 1947 program it lists Edward J. Fenelon, Jr

in 1960 Horace M Lancellotta

in 1962 Arthur W. Devine

in 1964 Horace M Lancellotta again

in 1969 Frank Rao

These are currently the only years I have programs for.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM

55 posts, read 166,621 times
Try this URL:

video.google.com

and just enter "Narragansett Park" in the search box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island