U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 PM

16,207 posts, read 39,527,844 times

Advertisements

What do you LIKE & DISLIKE most about Providence/Rhode Island?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,764,890 times
LIKE: The FOOD, the people, the geography (City, beach, rural areas - all within close proximity!), the weather, the culture.

DISLIKE: The Property Taxes, The Governor and some of the General Assembly.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 PM

986 posts, read 2,191,114 times
I love the scale of Providence and RI (I actually rarely leave Providence). Everything is close by. The city is perfect for getting enough "city life" but not being in a huge city. We don't have the traffic problems of Boston, but we have most of the amenities (at least those that are important to me, though I wish we had better public transit). The food here is simply awesome. For a city of our size, we have more great restaurants per capita than even Boston. The lack of chains is astounding.

I don't like the state and city governments. They're bloated and inefficient. I also don't like the NIMBY-ism of many of the people. Also, many of the natives can be just plain unhappy with everything.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 26,946 times
LIKE: Governor, Brown University, Historical aspects, Summer climate, Water sports, Real estate cost

DISLIKE: Local politics, Drivers/ I-195/95 Traffic, Property and income taxes, Rampant corruption/ misappropriation of tax dollars

Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 PM

16,207 posts, read 39,527,844 times
I did hear that property taxes were sky high? Viewing older threads, I think it was Cranston that was around US$8,000/year for someone!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 PM

986 posts, read 2,191,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I did hear that property taxes were sky high? Viewing older threads, I think it was Cranston that was around US$8,000/year for someone!
I pay about $2400/year for my house in Providence where property taxes are the highest in RI. There's a homestead exemption in Providence that knocks your property tax bill in half, but you can only claim it if you actually reside in the house.

Is that sky high? It depends on who you ask. Property taxes are higher in other states, including VT.

What kills me each year is the motor vehicle tax. In Providence (again, the highest in the state), it's about 7% of the value of your vehicle. I don't think they tax it if the vehicle is over 10 years old or worth less than $5k or something like that. My wife and I share a car to save money, but we're able to do that without a problem in Providence because she takes the bus to work (no parking there) and I can easily walk or bike on nicer days (or get a ride from a co-worker). I also had a problem where the DMV changed my address on my registration, but not my mailing address or maybe vice versa, when I moved. It was something weird like that. Whatever it was, it caused them to not report the proper address to the city, causing the city to mail my tax bill to the wrong place (which for some reason did not get forwarded with my mail), causing me to not pay my bill, causing the city to send a collection agency after me. The second time it happened, I noticed when I got my wife's car tax bill but not mine. I called and asked about it and I owed a whole lot more because of the penalty. I was not happy about that, but apparently it was the DMV's fault.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 103,262 times
i like how its small and the weather can be random and all over bad at times, like a walmart is only a 10 min ride into seekonk

Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 PM

20 posts, read 51,211 times
i love the small town feel in areas outside downtown.
i particularly like Smithfield Commons which is the close to where i live.
I hate the freeway especially the traffic during rush hours... when you get close to Providence Mall, where the freeway branches out in different directions... it's best you use the side street instead.

Even with a GPS chances are you'll miss your exit, especially if there's a lag in the "command" from your Unit.
Highway constructions seem to occur all year round.. especially in the Atwells ( Little Italy), Federal Hill and the nearby area.
I'm surprised every morning driving to work with all the "detours" that you have to go through.

the College town feel especially near Brown University, Rhode Island College, etc makes us feel younger. ( we're in our early 30's) and the food at Thayer street is a must try if ever you get the chance.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM

66 posts, read 209,438 times
Nothing surprising here:

In Providence you get the offerings of a larger city in miniature and what we don't have you can easily get to.
I enjoy the shopping, dining, and entertainment options as well as our proximity to nearly every type of landscape you could want: beaches, cities, access to NYC and Boston if you want. We have exposure to world-class culture on a smaller scale, thereby making it a bit more accessible for someone who is looking for a little bit of everything. The downtown and historic areas of the city are walkable, have some wonderful architecture, and where there is pride in ownership it shows.

I do not find most Rhode Islanders outwardly friendly, especially those in their 20s and 30s, and it can be very difficult to meet new people, make friends and get involved. Native RIers (and I am one of these) can tend on the provincial side of the behavioral scale (and are sometimes automatically perceived to be so by outsiders) despite being just 40 miles south of Boston. City services have been decreasing in quality and number due to our ongoing budget problems. We do not have what I would consider an acceptable, flexible, and affordable modern public transportation system, which forces most of us to use cars. Which leads to: yup, traffic problems on what are already poorly-maintained roads.

The gap between the haves and the have-nots in Providence in particular is quite glaring, especially to me. It always amused me that the Providence 'renaissance' was touted everywhere and yet most people would be quite surprised at the condition of the rest of Providence were they taken on a driving tour - with the exception of the East Side and, again, parts of downtown.

I recall overhearing a customer in a local restaurant picking up take-out on the East Side who was thanking them effusively for "opening a location up here" with similar cuisine to another famous eatery located in South Providence so that they "didn't have to drive down there anymore" (a distance of approximately 3 miles that is perceived as a world away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: