Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times

Advertisements

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/story?id=7559867&page=1]The Most Overpriced Cities in America - ABC News[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
High housing prices= High demand (why is NYC so expensive- because plenty of people want to live there)

Low housing prices= Lack of demand

Do people really think there are undiscovered utopias all over the US that have high salaries, low taxes, fabulous cultural amenities, no crime, terrific environmental quality, great public transportation and health care, low demand/competition, terrific public schools, and cheap housing?

Geez, I hope everyone leaves RI quick so the traffic improves!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Right on Holly.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Do people really think there are undiscovered utopias all over the US that have high salaries, low taxes, fabulous cultural amenities, no crime, terrific environmental quality, great public transportation and health care, low demand/competition, terrific public schools, and cheap housing?

I'm tellin ya- I check a LOT of states on CD (I've lived in 6). Everyone is trying to find that Utopia on CD....

Old 05-21-2009, 11:09 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times
The primary reason why Providence is so expensive is because of its proximity to Boston. The reason why Long Island and northern New Jersey are so expensive is because of NYC.

If RI were to break off from the rest of New England the prices would probably fall below Michigan.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,095 times
Uh, hey 1979, RI is remote and odd and weird enough as it is. We don't need it breaking off and going anywhere, but thank you very much !!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 AM

190 posts, read 650,293 times
RI is so expensive because of the taxes imposed by the crooked politicians. no matter how much money comes in, it will NEVER be enough. pocket lining is the problem.

for example. the town of Johnston gets some ridiculous amount of money every year from the landfill. but they are forever in debt. why is this? with the money coming in from the land fill, and lets not forget about metals recycling money, that small town of 35 000 people should be tax free for property taxes etc. especially with the pollution the towns citizens have to deal with.

lets not forget that the lottery was suppose to totally take care of the education expenses for the state. but all you hear is school closures, under paid teachers, and the gov. forcing older teachers in to retirement. where is that money going? take a guess.

once again i have to prove my point about RI forcing good middle class hard working citizens out of state to places that don't take advantage of there citizens. Roger Williams must be spinning.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,300,839 times
Only 5th? I'd have thought at least 3rd. I'm sure were rising though - give it a few years and we'll get to third!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 AM

114 posts, read 750,782 times
Default Moving gains quality of life

I lived in RI for a long time and moved down south. Had to move because of a job. There are much more jobs down south than in RI. You get more house for the money, the people are so friendly and welcoming and the taxes are so much cheaper. It is much newer and cleaner as well. I know people are complaining in RI but if they move they will live so much better and not want to go back. I think family is what keeps people in RI. What I do miss is the Italian pastry shops and Italian markets and restaurants. Take the chance you will not regret it.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:04 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Reading the article, the housing and living expenses are LOW in Rhode Island.

What makes it not so good though, according to the article, is high employment and stingy salaries ($56,000).

As an aside note, $56,000 to me sounds very high. But I'm guessing that other cities have a much higher upper end pulling up their average salaries..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: