Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times

Advertisements

What do we have to do to get existing laws enforced in RI?

Hispanic ministers group to support census boycott | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

If someone does not answer the census, a census taker is sent out at the tax payer's further expense.

There are monetary fines (albeit low) for not answering the census and/or for given false information.

Should the state pass laws to enforce before handing out state benefits? This could be a great source of revenue. No welfare, no unemployment, no food stamps, no public school enrollment, etc without census participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Excellent point Holly. It should also be pointed out that this is an unlikely coalition, because the Far Right are also encouraging people to break the law by not adhering to the Census based on some conspiracy-kook nonsense.

Neither instance is legal.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I hope they all dodge the boycott. They are hurting themselves. I am ok with that.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:27 PM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
So this goes for all people then, not just illegal immigrants or Hispanics? Because illegal immigrants don't collect unemployment, and I'd be certain before starting off on this topic, that they have access to the other benefits as well. It probably wouldn't be in the interest of public heatlh and safety to deny them the most basic things, unless they would go back to their countrys of origin, but most don't because for them even in our bad economy it is much better than making 3$ a day in their home country. This is from a RI perspective not CA where things are probably quite different. On the topic of jobs, does anyone ever mention anymore that technology now and in the future will increasingly eliminate jobs that people once had. In business terms, eliminating jobs is good - for the company of course. In Japan, and other countries they are even developing service and companion 'robots' to assist with the elderly.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:15 PM

229 posts, read 520,483 times
I think we should mind our own business.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I'd be more concerned with the MINISTER part...as this certainly happens in the white communities all across the U.S. probably significantly more.

I'd imagine this particular hispanic one got their inspiration from the more dominant caucasian ones.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,201 times
It says undocumented immigrants should boycott not documented ones seriously who cares if an illegal doesn't want to be on the census.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
This would actually be a good way of penalizing landlords who rent to illegals. If tenement apartments are unaccounted for in the census, and a census taker has to go to the site, and are unable to acquire census data information, a fine should be slapped on them.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
What do we have to do to get existing laws enforced in RI?

Hispanic ministers group to support census boycott | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

If someone does not answer the census, a census taker is sent out at the tax payer's further expense.

There are monetary fines (albeit low) for not answering the census and/or for given false information.

Should the state pass laws to enforce before handing out state benefits? This could be a great source of revenue. No welfare, no unemployment, no food stamps, no public school enrollment, etc without census participation.
when I give blood I get a Teddy Bear sticker which they stick on my shirt. It says "Blood donor". Maybe when they count us they should give us a sticker that says "I've been counted"? Possibly with a smiley face? Thus, I can take full advantage of all entitlements. Without it, nada!

If there are no consequences for being counted for undocumenteds, then the Ministers are misguided. Undocumenteds need to come forth and be counted because the state needs the federal funding for them. Without it entitlements that they are not eligible for, but still receive, will have to paid by the citizens of this state. Even though they don't exist.

If this was a movie script noone would believe it!

Would anarchy be better? The politician certainly haven't protect us.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,419 times
Yeah, I wonder if the minister realizes that this isn't good for any Hispanics. Not only does the census give a count of everyone, it also helps determine the need for federal funding and programs. If there's less money coming to the state for social programs, there will be fewer programs to benefit the lower income people here, which includes many US citizens and resident aliens - people who are here legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: