Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM

71 posts, read 151,745 times

Advertisements

I was at one of my favorite bars/bistros, Perks and Corks in gorgeous, charming downtown Westerly at happy hour, and a political friend of mine said big things were about to happen for Rhode Island's senior senator, Jack Reed. Apparently current Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) is toast and will not seek re-election to his senate seat, and some on Capitol Hill see Jack Reed as a good choice to replace him. Jack Reed has a keen intellect and sharp elbows, too, sort of a Harry Truman with a RI accent.

Personally, I think Reed is a no-nonsense guy who would be a natural leader and a guy who wouldn't tweaking the Republican minority (aka The Party of No).

Anyone else hear this? Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I like what he stands for, esp. that even as an ex military man, he voted against Bush's war in Iraq. He seems a good choice....

Jack Reed (D-R.I.) - WhoRunsGov.com, a Wash Post Co

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Sen. Jack Reed appreciates the sort of bizarre endorsement he received for majority leader from the man trying to unseat one of his colleagues, but says he isn't interested.

A few days ago TPMDC interviewed Rep. Joe Sestak (D-PA), who is challenging newly turned Democrat Sen. Arlen Specter in the state's primary this spring. Sestak minced no words about a lack of leadership in the Senate, and was silent for several moments when I asked him who in the Senate would make a better majority leader than Harry Reid.

"I don't know them all well enough. I like Jack Reed. ... No one jumps to mind," Sestak told me.

It was an off-hand and sort of funny remark since Reed (D-RI) is highly regarded but not currently a member of the party's leadership team.

Reed spokesman Chip Unruh emailed me a comment, unsolicited, after the Sestak piece came out.

"Senator Reed respects and appreciates Congressman Sestak's service to the nation, but he strongly supports both Leader Reid as well as his colleague Senator Specter's reelection," he said.

Sen. Jack Reed Says Thanks But No Thanks To Sestak Endorsement | TPMDC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: