Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:16 PM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 376,453 times

Advertisements

I live in Providence and commuted to Worcester (that big insurance company on Lincoln St.) for a year. It's not bad -- realistic commuting time was anywhere from 60-65 minutes, door-to-door. There tends not to be that much traffic on 146 -- the worst traffic is probably if you have to be at your desk at 8:30, but if you can commute half an hour earlier or later, it's a breeze most of the time.

Urb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 AM

65 posts, read 247,986 times
thanks Urb. i'm not sure i can get used to 120-130 minutes in the car 5 days a week!
: (

disappointing, because i SO love providence. oh well... thanks for the input.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 AM

runawayjim - thank you for sharing your drive time. that doesn't seem so bad at all. 45 minutes seems reasonable. anything more might be a little draining after a while...

thanks again!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv.ny View Post
thanks Urb. i'm not sure i can get used to 120-130 minutes in the car 5 days a week!
: (

disappointing, because i SO love providence. oh well... thanks for the input.
Actually, if I had a permanent (that is, nothing's permanent -- but if I had a regular full-time) job in Worcester, I'd go up and live there. That's where I went to college, and although everyone around here will say that it compares unfavorably to Providence, it's got some great neighborhoods (and some bad ones, but they're easy to spot), and there are a lot of restaurants, a nice concert hall and theater, and stuff like that. Worth taking a look.

Urb

Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 AM

thanks urb. i will definitely do so! i kind of feel worcester's pain, living in the shadow of boston. we (buffalo) get the same bad rap from downstate NYers and NYC. it seems like worcester has a little more edge than providence, which i kind of like. so many people talk about it like it's a ghetto war zone. but after growing up in buffalo, i feel like i'm pretty well-versed in ghetto war zones. : )

i also have a potential opportunity in newton, mass. thinking i would live in worcester to keep my rent and cost of living in a sane place. have you ever made that trek? is it doable in your opinion?

thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv.ny View Post
thanks urb. i will definitely do so! i kind of feel worcester's pain, living in the shadow of boston. we (buffalo) get the same bad rap from downstate NYers and NYC. it seems like worcester has a little more edge than providence, which i kind of like. so many people talk about it like it's a ghetto war zone. but after growing up in buffalo, i feel like i'm pretty well-versed in ghetto war zones. : )

i also have a potential opportunity in newton, mass. thinking i would live in worcester to keep my rent and cost of living in a sane place. have you ever made that trek? is it doable in your opinion?

thanks!
If you're going to work in Newton, you might as well live in Providence -- it's not going to be much different from Worcester, in terms of the commute. Would you be able to commute at non-rush-hour? (I know someone who does that -- works in a hotel in Newton, but goes in from Providence at around 4:00am. She says it takes her 45 minutes, with no traffic.)

Traffic from either place would be a PITA, though, once you get inside 128 (or north of the loop-de-loop on 95N).

Urb

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
Default Seeking ride share from Providence to Worcester

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get to Worcester on Sundays or Mondays to take care my mother-in-law, I live in Providence and i am looking for ride share. I can help throw in for some gas and do some driving if you like.
I'd like to head that way next few weeks. Please let me know if you can help, i can be reached at hsansoucy@sca.necoxmail.com or 401-396-2991
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island