U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 04:12 PM

104 posts, read 272,008 times

Advertisements

I have many questions about Providence, especially after extensive research. My family currently in Oregon have decided to move. After researching for months we have decided that Providence sounds quite promising but we keep questioning it. The CRIME and general city is quite minimal and isn't really bad. I understand that Providence is a mid-size city so crime is around but is it DANGEROUS. Also which type of crimes are serious since it seems that the City-Data is off as in comparisons to peoples opinions that live in Providence. We will probably be moving into an affordable ($700-900) a month neighborhood. Which hopefully there is a decent area that we can find. I have heard that Warwick is cheaper and is still within close distance (10mins) away from Providence. So I guess what I am asking is will we be able to find an apartment that doesn't have Oil Heating (Expensive one) within the range of $700-900 a month in a decent area. We have looked at many places and we are wanting to stay between Boston and NYC and have found Providence the ideal city. We both are Big City people and need to at least be in a decent size place. There is so much contradiction when it comes to Providence and it's safety and this is why I am questioning this move. I want to but I would like to hear first hand what other peoples opinions are. In many magazines it has Providence in the top 10 for relocation and places to move but is this TRUE. Is Providence worth making this move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,559,782 times
You need to tell us more. Why do you wanna move to RI/Providence? What do you hope to get out of the experience. If this is a job/career move, please give a few details.

I'm no expert on Providence. One thing that strikes me is your rent range is quite a bit too low. $700-900 /mo. in Prov is gonna get you a studio or 1-bedroom that is decent or okay-ish.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 AM

8,487 posts, read 13,363,426 times
Crime in Providence is almost completely dependent on neighborhood. The violent crime is almost completely confined to South Providence and downtown bars at 2 am. Most other crime that occurs is the type of property crime that one gets in any large city. Don't leave valuable objects in your car, etc.

I have lived on the East Side for 30 years and have never even experienced any type of crime.

Since your budget is on the low side for this area, you'll need to check crime stats for the neighborhood you're considering. I believe the Providence Plan website has a stat page and also describes Providence neighborhoods.

I wouldn't rule out nearby areas since Providence is accessible in 5 minutes from areas like Pawtuxet Village in Warwick or Riverside in East Providence. You could also look at Elmhurst in Providence, although check where Providence College is so you don't get too close to student rentals. Parts of Edgewood in Cranston can be very nice, again look out for college students (mostly Johnson & Wales in that area).

Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM

388 posts, read 1,304,018 times
Young people from all over the world come to Providence to live and work, what are you so afraid of? No American city is really dangerous- Iraq is dangerous, Haiti is dangerous.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 AM

104 posts, read 272,008 times
I have been hearing a few things that correlate and I have been hearing that the Crime is in specific section like you stated, and the bars have a lot of problems. I have enjoyed looking at pictures and Providence looks beautiful and really seems desirable.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM

986 posts, read 2,229,380 times
If you're big city people, you won't like Warwick. Don't rule out oil heat. While it's more expensive than gas, it's not horrendous and you could be ruling out some decent places to live and a lot of apartments use oil for heating.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,345,223 times
Default Cranston

This is in Cranston and close to the rent you want to pay.

Cranston Rhode Island Apartments - Home - Garden Village

Quote:
one bedroom apartments for rent from $845 and two bedroom apartments for rent from $930

Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Location: The State of Rhode Island, Presented by Dunkin' Donuts
115 posts, read 358,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
If you're big city people, you won't like Warwick. Don't rule out oil heat. While it's more expensive than gas, it's not horrendous and you could be ruling out some decent places to live and a lot of apartments use oil for heating.
Is oil really more expensive? I don't have a direct comparison, but have lived in a lot of different types of rental housing -- and the cheapest one to heat, by far, was a single-family house with an oil furnace. That used to cost less per month than any gas-heated apartment I've lived in.

I suppose I should ask the landlord what his apartment costs to heat -- I'm in a three-decker, where two of the apartments are gas, one is oil....

Urb

Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 PM

986 posts, read 2,229,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbie View Post
Is oil really more expensive? I don't have a direct comparison, but have lived in a lot of different types of rental housing -- and the cheapest one to heat, by far, was a single-family house with an oil furnace. That used to cost less per month than any gas-heated apartment I've lived in.

I suppose I should ask the landlord what his apartment costs to heat -- I'm in a three-decker, where two of the apartments are gas, one is oil....

Urb
In my experience, it is, but I can't do any direct comparisons. It costs me about $300/month for my 1500 sq ft. In my 1000-1200 sq ft apartment, it cost about $200/month (the apartment was on the 2nd floor of a triple decker and better insulated than the house). I lived in a 500 sq ft apartment on the second floor of a 2 story house that had gas heat, hot water, and stove. The gas only cost me at most $100/month, but usually in the $70-90 range. Each place did have forced hot water baseboard heating. In my current house, the oil is also for hot water. In the bigger apartment, the oil was only for the heat (hot water and stove were on gas). Each place also had programmable thermostats set at about the same time to come on and off, and my house has 2 zones, one of which is almost always set at 59 except for an hour in the morning and an hour around bedtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island