Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM

104 posts, read 282,104 times

Advertisements

1. Can i find an apartment for $700-900 a month with cheap heating (not oil)doesn't need to be included in rent And at the same time has to be in a decent area. 1 Bedroom

2. Is Providence as dangerous as people make it seem. I know in every city there is CRIME but i have read in many post and projo that Providence has it's fair share of crime.

3. I am currently attending a university in Oregon and will transfer to a school in Providence so I will be receiving aid, but how is the job market. I have searched classifieds and looked at monster.com and Providence a city of approx 180,000 people has more ads than Portland, OR a city of nearly 750,000. But I still see many people complaining about how the market is TERRIBLE. So is this an illusion and there isn't as many jobs as Providence is posting? Since I am attending school full-time I am pretty flexible towards jobs and not picky at all. Actually willing to accept basically anything, so will it be possible for a person like me to find a job?

Thanks, Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,947,074 times
700-900 for a one bedroom apartment.........tough to get anything decent in that price range in a good area. Most apartments have separate utilities which are paid by the renter.

The job market stinks. People are desperate for work.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 AM

394 posts, read 1,391,453 times
You can find a place in that range in the city in the 850 to 900 range, with or without utilities -- Many places do include utilities, but make sure the heat will be sufficient, you'd have to look a while to make sure it was nice- , but you'd have more options/flexibility if you looking in a wider range, and would need a car.

Providence isn't dangerous, crime is actually quite low compared to other cities- if you don't venture into remote, blighted neighborhoods late at night there shouldn't be a problem.

Job mkt- third worst in the nation- don't forget the Providence metro area is way larger than 180,000- eventually you'd probably find something though.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 AM

I am curious to see where you found the information on the job market being third worst. I have searched and really It seems BAD but I see that there is potential. I do see plenty of jobs not in abundance but there is some. I have found a few rentals and this is the area that there is decent prices like pawtuxet village where they had decent prices including utilities for $825. Can anyone give me some feedback about this place if they have any info.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 AM

12 posts, read 40,548 times
why would you want to move here? Economy is bad, employment is bad, rent's aren't cheap, if you find cheap rent it's in a bad area.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Sure the economy is "bad" in RI, employment is "bad" in RI, but it's all relative. Bad for RI is still amazing for where we are at right now, which is Eugene, Oregon. So "bad" needs to be put into perspective. 180,000 people striving for 40 jobs is better than 180,000 striving for an unemployment check.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 AM

You should check your classifieds and then check Eugene, Oregon. There is no comparisons and as everyone scrambles to move to the West Coast they will soon realize their economy wasn't as bad as it seems. The East Coast was booming until we recently ran into a downfall that has hit bottom. In reflection you still have opportunity and jobs are not extinct and there is some hope. I have done comparisons and if you go on monster.com Providence, RI a population of 180,000 has equal opportunity as Portland, OR a city of about 750,000 not including surrounding areas and if you include there is well over 2 millions. How can you complain about your economy when you have no "Idea" how bad the economy is here. Our rent is decent yes, being that you can find rentals for about $750 in a decent area not including utilities. This is in Eugene, OR and is probably the same in all of Oregon. There is Jobs but it is minimal and if you go to each classifieds and compare you still have more ads. So either the papers, websites, and etc... is lying or "Bad economy" in your opinion is good in ours. I will gladly move to Providence, RI and probably find a job a lot quicker then my friends back home that will be still searching. They have stopped looking and now are trying to apply for unemployment which is a struggle to get since everyone else is in the same predicament.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 AM

49 posts, read 114,134 times
Chad, the person who responded that we are the third highest unemployment is correct. I have seen it in the papers all of the time! Providence as a city may be 180k, but RI has 1 million. Most of RI commutable to Providence, so you have to take that into consideration as well. Perhaps Providence just utilizes the site you are looking at jobs for more than your hometown. I am not saying that you 100% can not find a job here, it probably will be easier for a college kid than a father who has to find something more than $10 an hour.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM

9,243 posts, read 14,800,518 times
If you're attending school full time, you can probably find some job through the school student employment office. If you're willing to pump gas or be a waiter, etc you can probably find something. Also, check for housing possibilities through the school as well. Most have housing offices.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,391,453 times
OR 11.0% unemp - RI 12.9%, as of Dec 09- BLS website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island