Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,716,387 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to RI in order to be closer to the Cape, where family spends a lot of time in summer. Need decent Conservative Jewish community and good public schools. One good student and musician entering high school in a year, one with high functioning Asperger's entering middle school, one in elementary. Any advice on which towns we should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM

9,215 posts, read 14,770,809 times
I think the Jewish community part can be found in most parts of the state- just look at where temples are located- it's the good public schools that's more of an issue. Barrington is probably your best choice, also East Greenwich.

The East Side of Providence has a major Jewish community but the public schools are not advisable. It has the Hebrew Day School.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,374,886 times
I echo Hollytree's suggestions. The East Side of Providence has a decent sized Jewish community. Temple Emanuel is the major conservative synagogue there. Public schools not the greatest but several excellent private schools. Two Jewish day schools - Providence Hebrew Day (Orthodox) and Alperin Schecter (grades 1-8, Conservative). The suburban communities with the best public schools are Barrington and East Greenwich, both of which are home to many Jewish families. Another option would be Sharon, MA which has a very large Jewish population but is more expensive.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:41 PM

102 posts, read 391,696 times
Providence's area known to everyone as "The East Side" is certainly home to the largest most active Jewish community in this state. To help your searches, that area is Zip Code 02906. Numerous Jewish organizations are located there. The median home price for that zip is slightly above $300,000. It is the home of Brown University and numerous private schools, including the Groden Center which concentrates on special needs (physical and intellectual deficits). I have a feeling it may be more intense than your middle son requires.

The East Side is a cosmopolitan, intellectual area with many magnificent 19th century homes. The local Hope High School once a magnificent school, became infested with mediocrity. The last decade the school department has struggled to slowly improve the school, but it has been slow. I would not want my child in that school. Classical High on the south west edge of downtown is rated much better.

I would suggest that within an easy half-hour drive of down city Providence, are Barrington (Great Schools rated 10, highest) East Greenwich (rated 9) and Warwick (rated 7). Last I knew, Warwick spent more $$$ per student than nearby Cranston, and Warwick is highly rated for special education. Warwick is home to the J. Arthur Trudeau Memorial Center which is a large (over 1,000 clients) ARC center with a large residential population (condo apartments) and an impressive recreation program (days and evenings) which is readily available for non-residents for very small fees. That might be of interest. I mention this because my daughter and her Asperger afflicted friend use that service at least once a week. They are high function young adults and live at home.

Finally, you don't have to live on the East Side to partake of its cultural activities. It is less than a half hour drive from any of the above mentioned towns.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 PM

The median house price on the East Side is 440K.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 PM

102 posts, read 391,696 times
Thanks, Hollytree!

I referenced the Zillow Home Value Index, calculated to March 1, 2010
( 02906 Home Prices and Home Values - Zillow Local Info }
which shows the median price of $317,800 for ZIP CODE 02906, which encompasses the many neighborhoods within that zip. Zillow breaks down the separate areas on the East Side as:

College Hill $419,900
Blackstone 403,000
Wayland 342,400
Hope 247,500
Fox Point 240,100
Mt. Hope 196,300

We know that there is a very wide range of home values through out that zip -- from a couple hundred thousand to over $10 million. So the focus is on Jewish centers and public schools.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM

My figures are from the RI board of realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island