Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:53 PM

28 posts, read 220,159 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have favorite pictures of Rhode Island (specifically Providence) that they'd be willing to share? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 03:11 PM

100 posts, read 464,973 times
Default Check these out..

The Richard Benjamin Collection

Old 06-17-2007, 07:21 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,038,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophadilla View Post
Does anyone have favorite pictures of Rhode Island (specifically Providence) that they'd be willing to share? Thanks!
I don't have pictures, but if you want professional pictures I will give you two suggestions. First Google "Waterfire", you will get some great photos of the city. Also google "Richard Benjamin" other great photos. WARNING: these are "chamber of congress" photos. The city doesn't always look as good as these photos make it. Like any other northern city, we would not take pictures of snow covered with auto exhaust or of the streets still covered with sand in April. We could still get snow then. The city can get pretty gritty looking, but it just makes us appreciate the beauty that is underneath it all. We have slums like any city over 20,000 and there aren't any photos of them either; unless, you are doing a documentary.

Mark

Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
I don't have pictures, but if you want professional pictures I will give you two suggestions. First Google "Waterfire", you will get some great photos of the city. Also google "Richard Benjamin" other great photos. WARNING: these are "chamber of congress" photos. The city doesn't always look as good as these photos make it. Like any other northern city, we would not take pictures of snow covered with auto exhaust or of the streets still covered with sand in April. We could still get snow then. The city can get pretty gritty looking, but it just makes us appreciate the beauty that is underneath it all. We have slums like any city over 20,000 and there aren't any photos of them either; unless, you are doing a documentary.

Mark
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually already found that site and those photos; while they were beautiful, I was hoping that some non-professional photographers could send me some pics so I could try and get a feel of everyday life, even if it's not at the perfect angle. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:02 PM

195 posts, read 229,766 times
I already gave you a perfectly true verbal picture of what the God forsaken city of Providence looks like and you dismissed it. If you want things sugar coated, listen to mr2448 who seems doomed to spend the rest of his boring life in Providence. Consider yourself warned and move to RI at your own risk and peril.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:26 AM

688 posts, read 2,127,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
I already gave you a perfectly true verbal picture of what the God forsaken city of Providence looks like and you dismissed it. If you want things sugar coated, listen to mr2448 who seems doomed to spend the rest of his boring life in Providence. Consider yourself warned and move to RI at your own risk and peril.
You know, Providence and RI certainly aren't flawless. I live in Downtown Providence myself and it sure isn't the best place to live. But there're definitely nice parts in this city, there's good stuff around and some of it isn't even hidden. I was driving around the East Side just the other day and found it to be quite charming to say the least.
I'll see if I can take a couple of pictures over the next days. Certainly nothing professional, but just snapshots of Providence. We'll see what Sophadilla will think then.

PS: Here's one I found sitting on my harddrive. I somehow find it fitting for RI.

Last edited by GermanSpy; 06-23-2007 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Added a picture.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 PM

thanks germanspy! keep 'em comin!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:46 AM

688 posts, read 2,127,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophadilla View Post
thanks germanspy! keep 'em comin!
My apologies for the delay.

Here some pictures from Downtown Providence. Nothing fancy, just a lazy hot Sunday morning. Picture a lot more people and cars during a weekday.

Not so pretty Downtown.

New luxury condo construction.

The convention center.

A dead Subway which didn't make it Downtown.

Prettier Downtown.

The Eastside. Rich folks.

Park next to Kennedy Plaza. Poor folks.

The Nazo lab and 711, staples of Downtown living.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM

109 posts, read 366,848 times
Thanks for those pictures. I saw that no one commented on them and I just wanted to say that, although they are not professional ones, they can sometimes be better than the professional ones because it shows a true representation of the city. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:05 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,976,838 times
The Arts Downtown district looks good...have any more photos of Providence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: