Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 AM

88 posts, read 187,975 times

Advertisements

I saw that place the other day and was wondering if anyone has been there that can tell me if they were happy with the results. I need a new hair salon. I have been living here for a long time, but have yet to find a salon that will style my hair properly. I have naturally curly hair (i am hispanic) and alot of salons dont know how to do a proper blow dry. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 AM

418 posts, read 1,048,784 times
Don't know anything about Dominican but all my curly haired friends swear by Imago Imago A Salon For Hair - they specialize in curly hair!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 8,743 times
Here is a review that I posted on Google Reviews. Being that you are Hispanic, in all honesty it might turn out more favorably for you.

I had been to this place before---stylists seemed not to have a single clue as to what to do with shortish hair, and put SO much heat on my 3b hair that after all the wrapping, tortuous prolonged blow-drying, flatironing AND hot-curling, my hair literally would not hold a bend. As in, she tried to turn the ends under with the curling iron to finish the "style" and my hair just laid there, limp. In addition, I was left with a bright-colored red area on my forehead that took AN ENTIRE WEEK to disappear (1st degree burn?) It looked like somebody open-palm smacked me on my forehead.

My natural hair is actually closer in texture to THEIRS than to African-Americans--loose curls. Too soft for relaxers and does NOT take much heat to straighten. WHY they were unable to recognize this from sight and touch of my hair is beyond me. WHY I even went back is beyond me. I really needed a service done and since there were so many others there, I was simply going to request someone else.

ANYWAY, I only wanted to pop in to MAKE an appt---NOT get my hair done that day, but MAKE an appointment. It was Mother's Day and all the lights were on and blazing, the shop was full of ppl, music playing, door propped wide open, and the "Open" sign was blinking merrily.

Before I even get in the door good, one woman shouts "CLOSED!" I was taken aback , Um, what?" She points "SIGN!! SIGN!!" I went to the door and see a tiny, battered sign stating "closed for Mother's Day". KEEP IN MIND that the door was propped wide open so this was NOT visible. I had to look for it.

She then screams out--at the TOP of her lungs--"CLOOOOSSSSEEEEDDD!!!!" WTF??? I said, "well I thought you were open. You might want to TURN YOUR LIGHTED "OPEN" SIGN OFF." Then I just walked away. As I went back to my car, I heard her SLAM the door nearly off the hinges behind me and furiously yank the lighted "Open" sign off.

This is, like, the 3rd Dominican place in Richmond VA where I have just been treated like a piece of sh*t, before they even get to know me. Hell, in one instance, before I even made it to the receptionist's desk. No matter HOW nice I am. I honestly think they have a problem with ME---I'm really African-American but I am very light and have loosely curled, very long hair and could actually pass for one of them, but I am American, not Hispanic. I'm not stepping in a single Dominican salon down here again. It is a true shame, because I LOOOVE having my hair roller-set and at those prices, I can afford to get it done whenever I like. I've been to only a couple in NYC, but while I can't speak for them all up there, the experience has been totally the opposite.

I've noticed that they are now "under new management!" but you couldn't pay me zillions to step foot in there again.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,694 times
Default Dominican Salon

If Dominican Style is what you're looking for in the Richmond area you ought to check out "A Slice of Color Salon" in Midlothian. The owner gave me flyer in Walmart and even though I hadn't been to a Dominican Salon before I gave it a try. I had never seen my hair so bouncy or my curls so tight before. They have a website and they put VERY NICE specials every month. You can check them out at [URL="http://www.asliceofcolorsalon.com"]www.asliceofcolorsalon.com[/URL]

Old 11-27-2011, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,619 times
i actually used to work at Dominican legend before i moved out of state. its owned by maria...whom is my aunt. the shop actually used to be Myra 2000 #2...if you would like to try them out...i would go to Maria herself, Nikki or Yanette. Maria does well with more grown woman looks...like bobs & things like that...she also does make-up. Nikki does alot of african american hairstyles...braids & short cuts. ow yanette does well with long hair...& if you would like your hair to be strong & healty...but all 3 do well.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,044 times
Dominican Legend is Being Sue Sorry that along can tell you what kind of service it provides it's customers. Yes it was own once by Myra 2000 but never had any problems with it's clients And NO Yanette no longer works for Marie, When the business was sold to Marie & Scott. Marie is a very Rude person. Scott on the other is very nice(But he Doesnt do hair) There are many Proffessional Dominican Hair Salon out in Richmond, But Real Proffessional Charge what needs to be charge not $12-$15 Wash & set if you paid that amount thats the service you be getting. Sorry but the truth is that the truth.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,062 times
Living on the West End, I have been always looking for a good hair salon that does wash- sets, and one day drove by this place. Maria is in fact the owner, never was there prior to her owning it. I will summarize my experience as a place where customer service is an unknown concept. The owner thinks that bringing fresh roses to ornate the place everyday and offering something to drink -to whomever she wants, not everybody-, is good customer service. They can style your hair, up to a certain point; but their problem is attitude. It comes from the top, Maria creates a very tense environment for the people that work there- you can sense that just by seating there- and when it comes to customers, you kind of have to play by her rules (that is the customer service part she will never understand). Maria tries to develop the business but goes backwards. I for instance was going every week, loyal customer, getting my hair done by one of the ladies there, until one day I had "a hair emergency" to be presentable at work the next day for an important meeting, so I called at 5:50pm (looked at the time), Maria blew dry my hair and I thought all was good, until another time, when I had to travel the next day and called again (5:45pm), spoke with the lady that did my hair who said:" sorry darling, since that day-the day I went there at about 6pm- Maria laid down the law and prohibited us to receive customers after 6pm as, she says you guys should be mindful of our schedule". Please keep in mind that they are open until 6:30 pm, per their sign, if you own a business and want to close at 5pm, that's fine, but make up your mind! Also, and this is key, customers do not have to "work around a hair salon schedule", Lord, I'm giving them my business, going there every week, calling before I go and trying to make it before closing time! What else can a customer do? On TOP of that, I took a day off and called to get a haircut appointment with Maria, called twice, she was never there, finally left my number so she could call (around 3pm, that was my last call); well, she called at 5pm, I think, and faked she didn't know who I was -I had left messages with the lady that used to do my hair, who knew who I was, in fact called me by my name. So I doubt she didn't tell Maria who was calling; Maria said it was a holiday (veterans day) and she was leaving. Ok, I get it. The problem is, YOU, like it or not, are in the customer service business, hence your obligation is to the best of your abilities, try to work around customers needs, NOT the other way around. Maria's style is: it is my way, or the highway, and that will not lead to good results. People are just not waiting around to see when they can have the honor of being serviced, people have a life, work, and also a need for a normal, not cocky, and good hair salon experience. Hope this humbles you Maria, because it is not a matter of money (you won't miss my $30, $40), it is a matter of building a clientele.

Last edited by unhappyhair; 11-14-2012 at 03:13 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,674 times
Dminican Legend is my newest and latest best place to work! I have worked there now 4 almost 5 months. I worked f or Maria once before a few years ago, I love her. I have 16 years experience as a stylist and licensed 11 years. This is a great place to express my love for hair and beauty. I not only am talented but a darn good stylist! I appreciate Maia's platform as a display to my art! I am available Fri. Sat. Sun. Please come in for yourself set an appoinment with me for ANY service! I specialize in weaves, color, braids, relaxers, cuts, and more! You will leave a happy and repeat customer to Dominican Legend I promise! 804-740-2788

Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 10,674 times
P.S. My name is Malikah ok: for those interested in seeing me Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond