Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 31,956 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to Richmond Va with my 2 year old. I am starting a new job in January in Downtown. I am currently looking into the few daycares located Downtown. I moved from Charlotte NC and was used to work/live within 5 min distance. I also feel the need to have my child as close to my work as possible in case of any emergency. At the moment I am considering renting an apartment close to the downtown area. One of the places I've heard of is The Fan. Is downtown/fan Richmond area definetly not a place for a single mom with a child? Ive heard is not very safe and if thats true I would consider other options. Do you have any suggestions on other places close enough to commute to work/daycare every day? Is the fan definetly not a place for parents w/children?

I need all the help I can get! thanks ahead for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
There are many young families in the Fan... but downtown seems to more of the emptynester/young people w/o kids crowd. I don't have kids yet (no hurry!) but hopefully others can make good suggestions. There is a YWCA on 5th between Main and Franklin with childcare, as well as a YMCA at around 1st and Franklin which I'm sure has childcare. A church at 5th and Main provides childcare as well, as I see the kids outside playing in the courtyard on my way to the parking deck every day. I'm sure there are plenty of options in the Fan as well. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:28 PM

38 posts, read 138,110 times
I live in the Fan and, as richmondpics notes, there are many young families in the neighborhood. I would just add that Richmond is a small city. I walk to 'Downtown' from the Fan and don't think it would take more than 5 minutes by car. Even west of Boulevard, you're still under 3 miles from the business district downtown. Also, there really isn't any traffic in the city proper.

As a recent transplant, my opinion is the Fan is safe. There are usually people around at all times, much foot traffic and not much of a bad element. In other words, it's not like there are thugs and dealers hanging on the corners. But there is street crime in Richmond (including the Fan) even though I haven't seen any. You might consider staying west of the VCU campus and between (including) Monument Ave. and Floyd Ave. Generally, the Museum District (west of Boulevard) is nice, as well. In all, Richmond is a charming city with a lot to recommend it. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 31,956 times
thank so much for your help!!! Do u know what zip codes are included in the fan and museum district (west of boulevard) ?

23223? 23220?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:33 AM

111 posts, read 428,732 times
I think the Fan is primarily 23220.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:50 PM

60 posts, read 330,114 times
Lot's of friendly people and neighbors in the Fan. Take your time and look for a safe attractive street with as few students as possible. Resident homeowners take much better care of there properties. Once you've lived there you won't want to live anywhere else.

There's quite a few daycare options downtown. Best of luck and welcome to Richmond.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:29 PM

25 posts, read 94,041 times
The Fan is in 23220 inside the boundaries of Belvidere and Boulevard on the East and West and Broad and Cary Streets on the North and South. This website maps zip codes and should help you:

The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!

Also, here's more than you would ever want to know about neighborhoods of Richmond:
Neighborhoods of Richmond, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by jeff8; 01-02-2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: I did some research and wanted to correct myself

Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 15,586 times
Default Daycare downtown

For daycare centers, check out 2nd Presbyterian (the church on 5th that a previous poster mentioned). It's great, very diverse, very affordable. Great location for downtown workers. My daughter's been there for 2 years. The YWCA is across the street, but I think there's an income cap. Some in the Fan area are Tabernacle, Ellwood House and a presbyterian one at Monument and Stuart, can't remember the name. Also, if you happen to work for the state, MCV Hospital or VA Commonwealth Univ. they have great child care centers for employees downtown.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:21 AM

253 posts, read 1,266,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem Mom View Post
For daycare centers, check out 2nd Presbyterian (the church on 5th that a previous poster mentioned). It's great, very diverse, very affordable. Great location for downtown workers. My daughter's been there for 2 years. The YWCA is across the street, but I think there's an income cap. Some in the Fan area are Tabernacle, Ellwood House and a presbyterian one at Monument and Stuart, can't remember the name. Also, if you happen to work for the state, MCV Hospital or VA Commonwealth Univ. they have great child care centers for employees downtown.
I'm relocating to the area and will start out as a renter. I'll probably be in zip code 23222, 23224 or 23225 . Any info on the public schools? I try to find out information, but cannot seem to locate it. What are the hours typically? Do they offer aftercare? and is the school system a good one? Do the children get bussed to and from school? My children are 9, 7 and 2 - so I need as much info as possible. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM

14 posts, read 54,523 times
Default West End

You should also consider the West End near the Regency mall. The schools are terrific and the reason I stay in Richmond. Soon enough your 2 year old will start "big school" and you should be ready. I am a mother of 4 and grandmother of one so I have been there. It take no time to drive from "downtown" to either the Fan or the West End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond