U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 11,244 times

Advertisements

looking to move there from milwaukee wisconsin with my family.just looking for new start
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 PM

370 posts, read 923,500 times
Well with a general question like that, the answers will be across the board. Good schools in the burbs, more stuff to do in the City. Hot, humid summers and cool winters. Some good parks and outdoor rec options. Close to mountains, beach, DC. Like anyplace, you'll get what you put into it. Do you have any specific questions?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,668,996 times
Don't know yet. We are currently building a home there and will move as soon as it is complete. We are moving there for a little slower pace than what we are used to here in Northern Virginia. And cost of living is cheaper. And when we visit the people just seem so nice. Not that people are not nice here in NOVA, but they are rushed and we are hoping to find a more relaxed environment in Glen Allen. (Richmond)
Good luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM

4,442 posts, read 6,008,454 times
Why did you choose Richmond? Got a job lined up?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 PM

no job or anything lined up i know finding a job is as eazy as u make it..but im jus look really looking for a big city atmosphere. and a good place to raise a family..with good schools and jobs avalible

Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 PM

richmond is just on the list of possible places to maybe leap to out the blue to start fresh.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 PM

54 posts, read 140,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Well with a general question like that, the answers will be across the board. Good schools in the burbs, more stuff to do in the City. Hot, humid summers and cool winters. Some good parks and outdoor rec options. Close to mountains, beach, DC. Like anyplace, you'll get what you put into it. Do you have any specific questions?
i can tell your tired of answering these types of questions lol i can just feel that vibe from just reading this

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,332 times
Default Richmond, VA

Hi, my name is Tina. I am 46 and have been in Ric now for 8 years. I moved from Maryland where I spent my entire life except for a short period I lived in Venice, FL. Richmond itself is very interesting b/c of the civil war history and batterfields etc. I live in a town called glen allen and I love it. My neighbors are like family, I feel safe and the kids can ride bikes to the pool and school and everyone looks out for one another. Good schools, good programs. Has all of the bigger town amenities w/o all of the traffic and its beautiful.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,806,072 times
Maybe you should look at the Raleigh, NC area. Consistently being voted one of the top places to live in the US!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 5,948 times
The reason I am on this site is because my entire family so desperately wants out of Virginia. I live in Midlothian,about 12 miles south of Richmond. No matter where anyone lives there is good and bad,I know that but I do want to say if your looking for a "city" life it is NOT here. I am born and raised NY and lived in SW Florida for 10 years and Va 13 years. Richmond City has hardly anything there. And anything with culture is narrowed to 1 street called Cary street and if that all you want is one little cute cultured street than thats perfect for you. Anyone who works in or near the city lives away from it,far away from it. It is not a safe place to be. We have found that Va really is still fighting the war here. I dont care what color anyone is,I dident grow up that way but WOW there is alot of racism here. Blacks hate whites,whites hate black etc (of course not all)
The job market is bad everywhere,but it is increasingly getting much worse here. I have kids in school here,at one point the schools were rated VERY high,that too is slipping FAST I also have many friends that are teachers that are being forced to keep quiet about incidences that happen at school (by admins) The schools have SOL's here so they are more worried about the scores and keeping accreditation than anything else. Most students are considered "advanced" Well that would be because the bar is MUCH lower here. But they see it as its just "better" here. I beg to differ!
Weather- We have had the hottest and driest summer on record this year. But the summers arelong humid and BRUTAL. If you dont have allergy problems,I promise you,you WILL after a few years. Winters in my opinion are not long enough. But if you get 1 inch of snow ( SERIOUSLY 1 inch!) plan on schools being closed for days lol VERY poor snow removal. 95,Powhite and 288 get plowed but side roads lol will not happen,EVER Central Virginia shuts down.
The last 5 of my 13 years here things have gone down. The roads are bad. Not enough schools to handle the population,not enough business to handle the population(lack of jobs) and not enough state funds to handle any of it!
I have serious concerns for this area in the very near future. Every year it gets just a bit worse. Be careful! central Va is NOT what you think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond