Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 18,706 times

Advertisements

Moving from a SMALL town in Indiana. Looking at classifieds, craigslist, etc for places to move. While I will be able to afford it, it is going to be a HUGE adjustment with the housing prices...LOL I am currently in a 2,000 sq ft, 3 bedroom Condo and pay $550 per month. I know that I am not going to find that in Virginia

*Schools don't matter, as I don't have children
*Would like a reasonably safe area to move....not looking for high crime
*Can swing up to $900 per month, but would much rather pay less
*Not too far off the beaten path unless it is close to a highway, as I will be learning my way around
*Pet friendly as I have 2 well behaved dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 PM

170 posts, read 583,212 times
The Southside (Midlothian) and West End are both great places. You'll hear "The West End is the Best End" quite often though. You'll get more bang for your buck on the Southside. The West End is more expensive because it's closer to the highways and faster to get downtown. The West End also offers more diversity, if you're looking for diversity.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM

54 posts, read 154,901 times
the west end IS the best end. im moving close to short pump Febuary 2011 im so excited

Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va4Ever View Post
the west end IS the best end. im moving close to short pump Febuary 2011 im so excited
despise west end- have since the early 80s.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 PM

170 posts, read 583,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va4Ever View Post
if you like paying more for housing
if you like being surrounded by a bunch of chain restaurants
if you like paying a premium price for fancy clothes at the mall
if you like more traffic

Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 AM

54 posts, read 154,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
if you like paying more for housing
if you like being surrounded by a bunch of chain restaurants
if you like paying a premium price for fancy clothes at the mall
if you like more traffic
yea, a 2 bedroom townhouse for $725 a month off lauderdale and patterson ave is so overwhelming considering im paying $1,100 a month here in new york...

sure i'd be surrounded by chain stores...and ofcourse I'll eat there once in awhile. but i dont mind driving to local shops in places like carytown. dont mind that at all.

Im a fashionable kind of guy and i know what i like. pricey clothes are not a shock to me...if i can afford it i'll buy it. if its out of my range i wont. simple as that...

now as far as traffic goes (if thats what you call it) short pump is nothing compared to ny traffic AND ny drivers. ny drivers are reckless, they dont value life on the road lol they dont even signal they'll just cut u off. traffic jams im used to and i've experienced short pump traffic as i used to live in richmond for 6 years and ventured out to west end on a daily basis.

All in all, the west in is what i like. it reminds me of a smaller nyc in a sense. To each his own right?

Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 18,706 times
Thanks for all the reply's. I am looking in the classifieds, and on Craigs list. It is going to be interesting. But looking forward to the adventure!!!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 19,821 times
Let me know if I can help. I live in the near west end, am a single teacher.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,626 times
Hello everyone! VA4Ever, your reply made me laugh. I, too, am considering Richmond. For a year, I've heard about carytown and its artsy/creative vibe. Until now, I've ignored it--I guess I wasn't finished abusing myself with DC's over-priced housing, congestion, and DC DMV Mafia --! Finally, I started e-searching but I can't find anything either in dead-smack in the middle or the museum district. What's the deal? ...some other factors to consider before answering:

I have a creative/artsy 12 year old therefore SAFETY IS THE TOP PRIORITY!
I want to find a public magnet school that, supports all that artsy "jazz"! (Henrico County's George H. Moody???)
I'm not worried about job-to-home ratio--I'm a web designer, we can work from a cave if it has Wi-Fi

Thank you, in advance, for your time!

Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,213 times
Default Carytown is NOT in the West End

Just a note to all the West-End and Southside Enthusiasts... Carytown is just as close to the West end as it is to the Southside give or take a minute.
PS for the person looking in the Museum district... I have a couple of apartments for rent there if you are intrested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond