Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 12,552 times

Advertisements

But here is my ideal....We are moving from Philadelphia and we currently live right in the city. We love the access to amenities and the tight nit community but we would LOVE a little more elbow room!

Our requirements are the following:
  • $250,000 - $400,000 budget
  • Detached houses
  • No cookie cutter housing developments!
  • Sidewalks
  • Neighbors who know and talk to each other
  • Ethnic and racial diversity (if possible)
  • Walkability
btw... I LOVE THIS MESSAGE BOARD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Neighborhoods like Bellevue and Westover Hills! Part of the near west end too.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
I completely agree with richmondpics. Bellevue (checkout Nottoway, Claremont, Bellevue Ave...all near MacArthur) has about 4 - 5 restaurants within walking distance, includes a couple options for getting small groceries (e.g. CVS and privately owned shop), and a couple of other types of shops. The people in the neighborhood are very friendly and all the homes are detached for the most part.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,847 times
Hey guys...dont forget the fan~

Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
**Looking for detached houses...

Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,214 times
With that criteria you will LOVE Richmond! So many charming neighborhood fall under that description: The Fan, The Museum District, BelLvue, Ginter Park, Some parts of the near West End, Westover Hills, and others.
I have brochures on all these areas. Email me if you want a copy

[EMAIL="Sellnhomes@comcast.net"]Sellnhomes@comcast.net[/EMAIL]
Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,847 times
there are detached houses in the fan silly!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 15,952 times
Westover Hills if you have some cash, Forest View if you don't. I don't recommend the West End. Too many there are looking for work because many corporate entities there have closed down. It's depressed. The South side tends to be small business money, ma and pa heating and ac, plumbing, etc. They tend to have more money in hard times. If you aren't city people, you might want to move all the way out to Chester and drive where ever to work. Brandermill has an HOA that makes a ton of rules and regs. The problem? The do not allow to cut down trees, which means no sunlight and the houses all suffer from damp and moisture problems. My pal who lived there said bugs galore and a 24/7 celing fan on. So not worth it unless you are a golfer.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,552 times
Hello All -

Thanks for all the feedback. We were in Richmond over the weekend and we visited Bellevue, Forest Hill, and Westover Hills. I really loved Forest hill for its access to the river and the park. In Bellevue people we talked to seemed really invested in the neighborhood. One thing I heard over and over again was that you needed to be careful where you lived if you chose the Southside because of the projects. I live in Philly and I know projects but my question is this...are crime levels higher because of one's proximity to these projects or do people just not want to live near the projects because of their negative perception?

thanks folks and keep any thoughts you have coming!

Christina

Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 31,811 times
I know many folks who would love to live in those neighborhoods. Although crime is certainly higher than in HOA burbs and home prices are higher, the main reason they don't live in the city is because of the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond