Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,322 times

Advertisements

I just re-read some of the conversation above, and let me assure you, it's safe. In my opinion, there is so much fear of the unknown, and those people who site "safety" as their main reason for fleeing our cities and settling down in the suburbs are simply misinformed. Frankly, the biggest threat I typically face is that my street-parked car might get smashed up by someone driving too fast. Would I trade that threat just so I can have my own driveway? No way.

And like you said to MrsStewart, yes, I do think that folks in the city tend to be more into the cultural institutions and to supporting some of their local businesses. Our church is right in our neighborhood and affords us many many opportunities to be involved both in the non-profit world and in various social situations. We walk down to the VMFA to peek at a few paintings and grab some lunch. We walk to the Byrd theatre for an inexpensive movie. We drive a mile to get to the theater and a great dinner out. We go down to VCU for the Richmond Forum.

I could go on and on ... sorry. Feel free to DM if you want more perspective!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 PM

323 posts, read 530,578 times
I understand what you are saying. Even though Chesterfield is only across the bridge - once you cross the bridge - you are really in another world - Chesterfield built too many suburbs too fast without the other cultural stuff - they have some parks , movie theaters, and shopping ou have to come but not much more. You have to come across the bridge to get the other stuff and that can be draining after you worked all day.

There are burbs on the city side of the river that would suit you better - for some folks quality of life is more than just living in a cookie cutter neighborhood - that's like living in a bowl while the world goes on around you

Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM

383 posts, read 1,019,382 times
ledsric -- I share your enthusiasm!! The key words are Vibrant and Convenient -- while the city is not for everyone, for those that want an urban home it is a pretty darn great one!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:06 AM

13 posts, read 34,695 times
About a year ago we started contenplating our move back to Richmond and were in a dilemma like yours.....we wanted city living but we're public school types and just couldn't handle the risk and uncertainty of Richmond public schools (elementary in the city appears to be fine but few people we talked to kept their kids in the Richmond public schools at the middle and high school levels...unless it was Govenor's school or some other type of creative, but uncertain, option). We opted to go JUST over the county line in the Westham/UR area (near corner of Patterson and Three Chopt). It has been a great decision. Small lots, older homes, close knit community feel. A LOT of people in the neighborhood who used to live in the city but then moved here when their kids hit school age. Great public schools, BTW. You can't really walk to restaurants but the options around the Village shopping center or near Libbie and Grove are a very short car ride.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:07 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,788,510 times
suburbia is boring. I live with my wife and daughter in the fan. It really is better.

Moving from one part of perfectly fine suburbia to another part of perfectly fine suburbia would miss the point a bit...

Downside of living in the city? Schools past elementary... To my mind private school is a small price to pay to avoid the burbs

Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 9,364 times
Default Yes you Should move!! Check out Forest Hill

My wife, son and myself live near Forest Hill. We love being so close to the Farmers Market, Local Restaurants, and still always having a place to park our car. There is a home for sale right around the corner from us. Private Message me and I can send you the details, would fit a family of 6 perfectly!!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,900,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
suburbia is boring. I live with my wife and daughter in the fan. It really is better.

Moving from one part of perfectly fine suburbia to another part of perfectly fine suburbia would miss the point a bit...

Downside of living in the city? Schools past elementary... To my mind private school is a small price to pay to avoid the burbs
Agreed. Not that suburbia is all bad, it's just not for me. I find most of suburbia the same, so a move is pointless.

Living in the city, and being able to park the car for at least the weekend is very nice. I also like being able to walk to the museums, parks, or catch the bus to downtown (5 min ride). Much better than a car-centric life IMHO.

Also, I find that people that live in the burbs can be very scared of the city. I'm speaking from my personal experiences. People at work who live in the burbs always talk about how violent the city is. They don't seem to realize that most crime is localized to specific areas (e.g. projects). Then when I tell them that, I commonly hear them say they haven't been into the city for years!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,788,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Also, I find that people that live in the burbs can be very scared of the city. I'm speaking from my personal experiences. People at work who live in the burbs always talk about how violent the city is. They don't seem to realize that most crime is localized to specific areas (e.g. projects). Then when I tell them that, I commonly hear them say they haven't been into the city for years!
This is SO true. The Fan and west is basically as safe as suburbia. Yet somehow there seems to be this bizarre perception that its crime ridden.

I do confess I still use my car, even though there's often no need. Its just so easy - ironically, though unsurprisingly if you think about, the city is actually much easier to drive in. All the traffic is in the burbs where people are forced into their cars for everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond