Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 10,221 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're a young family with a few kids living out in Midlothian in one of the nice communities with good amenities, good schools, etc. etc. We've been the Richmond area a while and we really love our neighborhood and friends. It's safe, kids can run around the neighborhood without much worry and this area really has all the basics you need to raise a family comfortably.

However, we find that we just don't love suburbia. We're really looking for a place with more culture, closer to the city for museums, festivals, non-chain restaurants, more of a sense of place with an identity, a little history, maybe a possibility to walk or bike somewhere other than around a neighborhood, etc. We would still need to have excellent schools and we can't afford private schools so looks like the city itself is out of the picture. Also a place that generally feels safe even if walking around at night. So we're narrowing down on the near West End in Henrico, maybe around UofR, Tuckahoe area. Budget for a house would probably be around 400K.

My question, is life really that much different in these closer-in areas? Is it worth the expense and hassle of moving? Any of you living there that could explain the basic vibe of the place? Any neighborhood suggestions with a good number of families with small kids?

Last edited by the-rivah; 09-29-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 PM

170 posts, read 583,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rivah View Post

My question, is life really that much different in these closer-in areas?
No.
Quote:
Is it worth the expense and hassle of moving?
No.
Quote:
Any of you living there that could explain the basic vibe of the place? Any neighborhood suggestions with a good number of families with small kids?
The West End has good schools, more diversity and more traffic.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
We lived in the same area where you are now but moved back to the city because our children are in private school and the drive was killing us!

I love being back in the city and being able to walk to the grocery, restaurants, parks, etc. My time in the car is probably 30 minutes a day.

It is truly a personal preference but we are quite happy we made the move.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,096 times
Also, it's not as if midlothian is that far from Richmond anyway. Yes the actual city of Richmond is cool and I too would rather live there someday, but Richmond's suburbs are not really that spread out. If you were out in Hanover or Powhatan I'd understand going through the hassle of moving. But where you are in Chesterfield would actually be the city of Richmond if it was laid out like some other cities. Like Va Beach, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Louisville etc. where the majority or whole county has merged with the city.

In this economy, to move a few miles from a place that suits you real well now just doesn't seem too practical. I live in Staunton and still frequent the Richmond amenities often. But it's ultimately up to you. If you want to live closer in to the city to get a taste of it, you might as well go all in and get a sweet place in the Fan.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,474 times
You're bored of "suburbia" so you're plan is to move to a different part of suburbia in the same city?...

Something tells me that in the end you will not be satisfied with your move.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,221 times
Yes, I realize that Midlothian and the more closer in suburbs could both be considered 'suburbia' but I was looking for feedback from people that have lived or are familiar with both areas to compare and contrast. I didn't really mean 'suburbia' in a derogatory way either, maybe I should say the 'suburbs 20min or more from the city so that city activities are not a quick drive and you really don't feel like you're part of Richmond, wouldn't go into the city during the week after work, etc.'. I'm not trying to complain about Midlothian, it's a great place just like someone else said, it's a personal preference thing and we're exploring the idea of moving closer in.

Shadowbat - You're right, the whole Richmond area to us feels small and is easy to get around here.

mrstewart - Glad you enjoyed moving closer in. Any obvious differences you found in the day to day life of the people in those areas? May sound like a silly question but from my experiences different areas attract different people and I'm trying to get a feel of it. For example, most of my neighbors are happy to be far away from the city and 'safe' where as I'm imagining people that choose to live closer to the city are into more of the cultural things down there.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:54 PM

28 posts, read 82,169 times
While Chesterfield is not far from downtown, it's worlds apart in many other ways. It doesn't have the "edge" of city life -- interesting people, unique dining, expansive arts and culture.

It sounds like you have an appetite for that kind of thing. Why not consider an area like the near west end? Stay on the henrico side near St. Mary's and your kids will have good schools with city life ten minutes away...

Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM

170 posts, read 583,286 times
Who can just decide to sell their house, make a profit, and buy a new house just because they want to live somewhere else because they are "bored". Must be nice...

Or are you taking a loss on your house so you can buy another house in another non-boring part of Richmond?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
I will send you a Direct Message.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,319 times
I'm late to this conversation, but wanted to pipe up for city living with families -- it's possible, and it's actually pretty darn fabulous! I live in the Fan with my husband and two preschoolers, and we love it. Three or four parks within 1/2 - 1 mile. We walk to dinner, to the library, to the movies, to playdates, to shopping. Yes, I have to drive a few miles to get to Target, etc., but I don't have to go far to get to ANYTHING. Except whole foods :-)

I love that the vibrancy and conveneince of city life is not the exception for us, it's the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond