Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 PM

68 posts, read 118,637 times

Advertisements

Is Richmond losing touch with it's Southern roots? I think so. Despite the rich history the Capitol has, I constantly hear stories of "what used
to be". Geographically speaking, Richmond lies right off I-95. Richmond is an awesome city where we value historic places, historic people, and historic events. I never understand how critical we were on ourselves when confronted with the word "southern". We faded our accents and misconsgrued our hospitality and unspoken open arm policy. We fear outsiders and become hostile when people directly challenges our views.

Perhaps we can boost to others that we replaced our heavily revenued tobacco industry with Philip Morris. We reinvent tobacco to make it "less harmful" whether it is through the chew or mint although we know states are increasingly pushing for the ban of smoking. This is our form of contributing to the country, the reason why I say "we" and "our" is because when you buy that pack of cigarrettes it will have Richmond, Va stamped on it.

We were the first City to have trolleys. Now, Chesterfield I hear will be the first to have light rail in suburbs?

I wish I could have my mom fix me a plate of good ole' Southern cooking, but that is not an option. Instead I see places like Panera and Chipotle.
Yes there are occasional southern places, but why should I commute far to get a Southern plate?

Richmond produced Carmax. You got to love them! My friend's American-made mustang was purchased from Carmax.

There is talk of the phrase "New South" floating around. It may have a while before it is Mayberry, but that is not the intention. If all we have to offer is VCU and Philip Morris than we are lagging. We must not be afraid to try new things. We must treasure the James River, and realize we are a handful of lucky metros to sit on a River.

Where is the Sonic drive-thru, Popeyes, Cook-Out, Zaxby's? Where are the American Pride carwashes where you can manually wash your car instead of getting your paint chipped off by autowashes? Do people still hold doors? Am I the only teenager still saying yes ma'm no sir? How come river rafting is on the menu for outdoor activity? Why don't we have a beltline? Better yet why do we still have toll roads? Does all the taxes we make go to NOVA? Why are kids still being transported back and forth to schools for specialty programs? Why can't these schools have their OWN programs? Why do we not invest in our parks? Why don't we have a greenway system? Can we create jobs to make our city cleaner? How much trash needs to collect on the side of ramps before people start complaining? Why do we act like the homeless isn't a problem? What significance does abandoned buildings contribute to city income? Why so many potholes? How come the police takes so long to reach a scene? Why does the media hide the war on drugs here? Why don't we invest in our parks? Where is the horticulture offside of the highway and downtown? Why is there a toll to go downtown? Why is Walmart the only thing 24/7 for grocery shopping? Why aren't our buses completely green? Where can I go to track local spending?

My intention is not to make anyone angry or feel any type of way but I thought it was something worth mentioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 PM

139 posts, read 240,173 times
Chesterfield will hopefully go through with that suburban light rail thing......:/

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 PM

157 posts, read 570,643 times
I'm not originally from Richmond but had visited SC and a few other southern areas many times before we moved here. I assumed Richmond would be similar. It's not. I can't speak for what it was, but I don't consider RVA "the south" now that I've lived here. My friend from SC agrees and I have another from Atlanta who feels the same way. I think it much more resembles east coast attitudes than southern.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 PM

834 posts, read 2,283,610 times
I see myself as American. Not northern or southern. It's not the 1800's. In the past 20 years, people have done so much moving up and down the east coast that like it or not, the Mason-Dixon line has been blurred. 100 years ago, the north and south were more defined. Now not so much. And I think it's good. We are the east coast, we are Americans. Virginia has southern roots and it is a southern state no doubt. But It's also pretty darn close to the northeast. By proximity alone there are going to be aspects of it that make it more like the north. Why can't it be a little of both?

To me Richmond seemed southern but not so much that I felt like an outsider. My friend who is from Georgia swears that the only part of VA that is southern is the western part by the Appalachian mountains.
I don't know.... to me...who cares? Why slice and dice a city or a state? Richmond is a city like no other. Let's just appreciate it for what it is rather than label it.

Also, I HATE when anyone talks about "what used to be" as though the way something was 50 years ago is always better than the present. Until Doc Brown shows up in his time machine, we are all here together in 2011. Let's just move on to the future, shall we?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM

20 posts, read 59,338 times
While I do think of myself as a Virginian and a Richmonder, I don't think of myself as "Southern". My family isn't from here--my parents moved from NYC down here when I was 2, for my Dad's job. So that's probably why.

And Midlothian used to have a Sonic. It was at Huguenot & Robious. Dunno why there aren't any in the area now.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,389,061 times
Not sure !

Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,788,510 times
I'd say Richmond is Mid-Atlantic, not Southern. It has some southern feel left, but it's around the edges. In the city I rarely hear a southern accent - I think that changes the further you get out of town. But surprisingly little

Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 AM

894 posts, read 2,321,979 times
Richmond is definitely in touch with its southern history. But that's just the point, it is history. Nowadays, as said it's mid-atlantic. If the city leaders accentuate any kind of southern "charm", its for marketing purposes only. I think most people could care less whether they are southern or not, most would just say I'm a Virginian. Richmond reminds me more of some areas of Baltimore or even Philadelphia than anywhere I've been down south.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM

834 posts, read 2,283,610 times
ShadowBat exactly!
Quote:
If the city leaders accentuate any kind of southern "charm", its for marketing purposes only
I never thought of it like this but I think this nails it. I do feel that people were proud of the history, but I never met anyone under the age of 70 that was clingy to it.
And definitely it has the look and feel of a smaller Philly. The city itself is gritty in parts, beautiful and restored in other parts. Almost dare I say, like a Greenwich village (NYC) with a slight artsy vibe.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,437,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I'd say Richmond is Mid-Atlantic, not Southern. It has some southern feel left, but it's around the edges. In the city I rarely hear a southern accent - I think that changes the further you get out of town. But surprisingly little
I'll back my fellow Bostonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond