Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM

283 posts, read 652,752 times

Advertisements

If you can find gainful employment in Virginia, you will live far better here than in the big city. The unemployment rate here is lower than it is in most other states but it is still high. Salaries are far far lower than in the city, but so is the cost of living. Richmond and the surrounding area is generally a nice place to raise a family. Should you relocate here, do so with an open mind. Some who come to Virginia think that it should be like the place they left and think that Virginians need to change instead of the other way around. This generally does not work out very well for them. I live in Chesterfield and so many x New Yorkers are here that I sometimes think that I am in Queens or Albany. We have very little snow, but the humidity and heat here is far greater than anything you have experienced up north. There is far less to do in the Richmond area than in New York City so this is another one of those things which will require you to re-adjust. We here in Richmond complain because the nickel bridge now costs 35 cents to cross. This is just slightly less than going over the Triboro so you kind of get the drift on the differences you will find. Be persistent, keep looking and do not give up. New York City is for stock brokers who can afford to live on central park west. It is not a very nice place for the working man. Good luck to you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
great post vman. It's important to consider when moving not to expect from a medium sized city what you'd find in a large city like NYC. There is nothing in this world like NYC so it's just good to keep in mind. I believe anyplace is what you make of it. Just sometimes there are things that are too extreme to ignore.
For me, Florida was just too hot for too long. I had to leave. Couldn't bear the heat any more but most people loved it. Now up here in Connecticut, I love it, but the cost of living is killing us. Other people have no trouble making a living. For my husband's line of work and being self employed, we are never going to make it. I didn't find any extreme in Richmond that bothered me. There were no doubt things I bitched about but nothing extreme to me.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 PM

20 posts, read 40,513 times
Vman, Wow 35 cents! That would be a dream to me! lol. The triboro I think has gone up to $5.50 now which is horrendous but the verrazano bridge on staten island has risen to $13 now which is unreal! Your absolutely right on your NYC not for the working man comment it truely is not. I have been self employed here for awhile now and still can't seem to make it comfortably at all. So, down south we come. I am in no way looking for another NYC we are looking forward to a change of pace and we are barely in manhattan so we do not need the city life at all. All in all I have recieved some great feedback on this forum I wish I could say the same thing about the Raleigh, NC board which my similiar post has been bashed beyond belief by locals not wanting transplants there. or so it seems anyhow. Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I wish I could say the same thing about the Raleigh, NC board which my similiar post has been bashed beyond belief by locals not wanting transplants there. or so it seems anyhow
When we were living in Richmond, my husband had a contract in Raleigh so for 4 months, he stayed in the city Mon-Fri and then would make the 4 hour ride home Friday night. He found the transplants very friendly. But he said the traffic was 10 times worse than anything in Richmond. (for the record, I've heard that about Charlotte as well) And he said the same thing you said regarding the natives.
Now keep in mind, my husband is born and raised in Florida so he is a southerner, and he still felt unwelcome from the natives. He said it seemed like since the area had practically doubled in size in the past 10 years, the locals seemed burned out on transplants.
It is understandable and I can empathize with how it must feel to see a small southern city become 50% New York and Jersey. Richmond has grown a lot, but it has not seen the amount of growth that North Carolina has so I think that's why you are feeling more hostility from there.
I do know a lot of people from the tri state area have relocated and love it there because they can actually afford to live a decent life. So I'm sure if you actually moved to Raleigh, you would feel more welcome than you do on the City Data boards. But my husband said there is a definite, "Not another transplant!" vibe that comes from Raleigh.

eh screw em. Richmond is a lot closer to NYC (only 6 hours). It's also closer to the beaches (Va beach- 2 hours) and the Outer Banks of North Carolina(3 1/2 hours) than Raleigh or Charlotte is anyway. So that's two big pluses!

Oh and I feel you on the cost of the bridges. The Verrazano should give you lube every time you cross.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 AM

204 posts, read 665,961 times
Born_Free - I commend you on getting out of NY. As others have noted, its a hard place to get ahead for the average working person. I left the NJ/NY area 20 years ago for a job in Richmond. Stayed 5 years then came to the DC area, and now in the process of moving back to Richmond. I was young, single and struggling to make it when I moved south and may have stayed that way if I hadn't made the change!

I also have family who relocated to Raleigh 5 yrs ago, love the area, but have had a tough time with employment. Both husband and wife laid off now for almost 2 yrs and are about to sell their home and rent.

My husband's job is regional, so when we relocate to Richmond it will be with employment. The job market there for me will not be as strong as the DC area where I currently live, but we are ready for a change.

As for attitudes towards northerners - I think the ones that give that the most thought are the northerners themselves. I never heard it discussed by Richmonders while I lived there!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born_Free1985 View Post
Vman, Wow 35 cents! That would be a dream to me! lol. The triboro I think has gone up to $5.50 now which is horrendous but the verrazano bridge on staten island has risen to $13 now which is unreal! Your absolutely right on your NYC not for the working man comment it truely is not. I have been self employed here for awhile now and still can't seem to make it comfortably at all. So, down south we come. I am in no way looking for another NYC we are looking forward to a change of pace and we are barely in manhattan so we do not need the city life at all. All in all I have recieved some great feedback on this forum I wish I could say the same thing about the Raleigh, NC board which my similiar post has been bashed beyond belief by locals not wanting transplants there. or so it seems anyhow. Thanks again everyone!
Keep in mind that the people who post on the forum are not necessarily representative of the people who live in that area. We lived in Cary, NC for a few years and loved it and it was mainly transplants from the NE. It is a beautiful area, but I think the job situation isn't quite as good there and state income taxes are high IMO (although still lower than most places in the NE).

Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM

20 posts, read 40,513 times
Yankeerose00, I do feel the vibe from alot of locals in Raleigh as well. I am not saying everyone of course but I have definitely experienced the feeling. KathyR, Thanks for the kind words! I am excited on the possibilities on leaving NYC for sure. I just want a better quality of life for my wife and kids which I never would achieve here without going back to school for a few more years. It was definitely a stretch going for my Associates while raising my children. So down south we come asap! sls76, You are right in saying the forum members do not represent the whole area but I have seen first hand some of the yankee bashers there myself. All in all it was a beautiful place!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM

For me City -Data is kind of a worst case senerio so to speak. Meaning it leans toward the negative. Actually living in most places probably isn't near as bad as it's made out to be here.

For example, I lived in Florida for 15 years and hated every single minute of it. I swear the entire time I lived there, I could not find one person who felt like I did. It seemed like everyone who lived in the Tampa area was in love with it. Especially the transplants! If I even said anything negative about Florida, the most negative I'd get was, "Well, yeah, I see what you mean, but at least it's not cold here! Better than living up north!" I spend 15 years feelling like a total oddball.

Then years after moving I discover City Data and it's one post after another bashing Florida. I actually find myself thinking, geez, it's not THAT bad! So yeah, CD skews to the negative for many places, definitely! You could probably move to any of the places you were considering and be happy there.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
The biggest mistake people make when they move is they don't explore/try it out for a few months. So many move to an area based on their vacation memories, alot different from day to day living somewhere. New Yorkers seem to be the largest group that expects their ammenities to match everything they had in NY...the state they left? Raleigh especially has a very large ex-pat group from this area and based on these boards (especially the LI Board) their is nothing positive to say. I wonder why did they move, I realise many had to move with their jobs but many chose to move. Raleigh has many pluses and negatives I really think they need to evaluate why they moved and look at the advantages. Contrary to popular belief there are really great schools outside of NY.

And Yankee Rose your right Virginia is close enough to visit NY and far enough away that no one shows up unanounced..

Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,216 times
Born Free, I moved from N.Y. two years ago to Midlothian. If you have any specific questions/concerns you need answered feel free to DM me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond