Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,514 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Virginia to be closer to aging family. We currently live in Philly (Northern Liberties to be exact) and love it. I am a little hesitant about moving to Virginia because I am white and my husband is black and while this is exceedingly common in the North East I am not sure how welcome it is as you head south. I would like my children to continue to have friends of varying color, religion and ethnicity. And I would like to live in a neighborhood with a diverse population.

My question is this....can anyone reccomend a progressive, multicultural, urban neighborhood in Richmond? We want to live in the city and have walking or public transportation access to stores, restaurants, and cultural activities like we currently have in Philly. Our price range is a house in the high $200 to low $300's with off street parking.

thanks so much for your feedback....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 PM

542 posts, read 985,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcg View Post
My husband and I are moving to Virginia to be closer to aging family. We currently live in Philly (Northern Liberties to be exact) and love it. I am a little hesitant about moving to Virginia because I am white and my husband is black and while this is exceedingly common in the North East I am not sure how welcome it is as you head south. I would like my children to continue to have friends of varying color, religion and ethnicity. And I would like to live in a neighborhood with a diverse population.

My question is this....can anyone reccomend a progressive, multicultural, urban neighborhood in Richmond? We want to live in the city and have walking or public transportation access to stores, restaurants, and cultural activities like we currently have in Philly. Our price range is a house in the high $200 to low $300's with off street parking.

thanks so much for your feedback....
First off, interracial relationships are extremely common in Virginia. I live in "hicksville" and no one even bats an eye at it. I know you didn't mean to, but I get a little offended when people assume VA is some racist backwash. We're not really that far south, it's the 21'st century, VA elected the first black governor and helped with the first black president. Race relations are as good here if not better than PA or anywhere else for that matter. Unfortunately racism exists everywhere. However, in Richmond you'll be invisible because interracial couples are very common there. Sorry for the rant.

As far as neighborhoods, I like the Fan district which includes Carytown and the Museum district. Very walkable, historic neighborhoods and VCU is in the area, so that gives a progressive feel to the area in my opinion. Good luck and welcome to VA. BTW, I love Philly, I can understand why you don't want to leave.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,295,139 times
A neighborhood like the Museum District is probably a good bet. You'd be walking distance to Carytown. Maybe the Byrd Park area or West of the Boulevard South of Cary? The Fan is a great neighborhood, but it will be tough to find something large enough for a family in your price range.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,759,302 times
how about Sherwood, Ginter Park, Bellvue, or woodland south of the river.

My Brother and sister in law are interracial, and live in VA. They have never had an issue. While racists are everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if you find the climate generally nicer than Philly

Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM

126 posts, read 480,281 times
Honestly, you will be fine wherever you move.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM

383 posts, read 1,012,456 times
I agree with the above--you will have many many options - Museum District, fan, Bellevue, Woodland H, etc. are all excellent suggestions. I think you will be suprised at the diversity you will find in Richmond. Come on down!!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM

121 posts, read 268,857 times
No one will give you a second look. Richmond has LOTS of interracial couples and biracial kids.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 PM

55 posts, read 182,408 times
Interractial couples are SO common here in Richmond. It really is no big deal.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 AM

247 posts, read 496,588 times
You really shouldn't have a problem. Of course you'll find some idiots every once & while but it's something you'll find anywhere. Usually they'll be the older folks and out towards Powhatan/Amelia. I'm sure ya'll as a couple will be able to handle it, but theres no harm in talking to the kids about it in a loving manner. I pray that you won't have to deal with that though. If they're a true Southerner, they'll love & accept ya'll as they should! God bless ya'll & good luck! Welcome to the South :-)

Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,399,287 times
Ill back what was said above, If your in the Richmond Area nobody will look at you twice, interracial couple are as common here as in the north. I'm from MA and probably see more here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: