Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 AM

40 posts, read 89,509 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had the experience that my family and I have had here in Mechanicsville? We have lived in two well-manicured subdivisions over the last few years, and have experienced similar scenarios - neighbors do not want to say hello, or speak to us. Seem that they have no interest in being friendly or neighborly, or to reach out to make friends. My family and I are nice, sociable people so this is discouraging. Is this just the state of American society today everywhere? Or is this central Virginia culture in general?

Last edited by FeelGood2011; 10-16-2011 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:18 AM

19,339 posts, read 17,268,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood2011 View Post
Has anyone else had the experience that my family and I have had here in Mechanicsville? We have lived in two well-manicured subdivisions over the last few years, and have experienced similar scenarios - neighbors do not want to say hello, or speak to us. Seem that they have no interest in being friendly or neighborly, or to reach out to make friends. My family and I are nice, sociable people so this is discouraging. Is this just the state of American society today everywhere? Or is this central Virginia culture in general?
I think we live with a vision that life in suburbia is like Leave it to Beaver or some other sitcom we grew up watching, it's not. We lived in a neighborhood in Va Beach where people didn't speak to us for years. Even when our daughter was born and I was out to sea with the Navy only one person came by to see how my wife was doing....

Maybe this is the culture that has developed, I do think that Ozzie & Harriet are dead and the Beaver is doing drugs on the south side. Suburbia has changed and for many it's an every man for himself mentality.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Va Yankee- I understand your response.. but my concern is that, although the "Leave It To Beaver" era has long past.. it still can't be that difficult for neighbors - those who live next door or on the same street/same community to simply say "Hi" or wave "Hello." It requires little to no energy to wave a hand, or just manage to exert one vowel such as "Hi." My concern is that people intentionally resist being cordial or neighborly, and it makes the community a negative place to live. Very sad. Not sure if it is America today, or just my subdivision..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think we live with a vision that life in suburbia is like Leave it to Beaver or some other sitcom we grew up watching, it's not. We lived in a neighborhood in Va Beach where people didn't speak to us for years. Even when our daughter was born and I was out to sea with the Navy only one person came by to see how my wife was doing....

Maybe this is the culture that has developed, I do think that Ozzie & Harriet are dead and the Beaver is doing drugs on the south side. Suburbia has changed and for many it's an every man for himself mentality.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:31 PM

AND I admit there ARE PLENTY OF FRIENDLY people in Mechanicsville and around Richmond. This was not intended to be an overaly negative post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood2011 View Post

Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,336,500 times
Lead by example.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 PM

383 posts, read 1,020,564 times
I raised my family for about 16 years in Kings Charter, living in two different homes. My experience was just the opposite. I always experienced friendly and caring neighbors.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM

I do - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Lead by example.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM

111 posts, read 243,199 times
We live in a neighborhood in the Southside where everyone waves and says hello.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM

19,339 posts, read 17,268,402 times
Feelgood 2011 I don't disagree with you. We have always prefered older neighborhoods with a mix of young/old neighbors. We have often found newer neighborhoods with mostly young families empty out every morning at 8:00, no comes home till 6:00 and the few stay at home moms can turn into a fascist clique. I don't know what to tell you other than see what in the area you can get involved in.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,909,068 times
My opinion is that it's always tougher to be social if you aren't in a walkable neighborhood. By walkable, I mean running errands, grabbing meals, walking kids to school...mostly on foot (or bike). It provides a more natural, commonly social situation that's not forced.

It seems people move to lower density housing so they don't have to interact with others as often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond