Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 PM
C.L

20 posts, read 43,720 times

Advertisements

CSK, come on, I'm surprised by my fellow NYer, grew up in Queens, spent 5 years in Baldwin, L.I. After 4 years here getting use to the vibe...not a bad thing. But you have to agree Richmond is a little outdated. Downtown should be thriving. Centerstage, VCU....I feel safer walking the streets of south Jamaica than Broad street at night. No excuse for that. 2 lanes on I-64 to go to VA beach, all it takes is someone changing a tire to back it up. I am sure Richmond will catch up with time at there on pace...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Downtown isn't static... lots going on to make it more lively. More residents, more restaurants, more amenities, it's all happening.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
....I feel safer walking the streets of south Jamaica than Broad street at night.
Thats not a fair comparison. Downtown Brooklyn would have made a more similar comparison. DUMBO to Ft Greene park would have been close to the mix.

Quote:
But you have to agree Richmond is a little outdated.
You can't compare Richmond to all of NYC. There are other cities in NY state that have a similar downtown area.Richmond like any other city goes through demographic changes. Its changes aren't as noticaeable as when it happens in the speed of NYC.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
C.L

20 posts, read 43,720 times
Again, not all bad in Richmond. Definitely family orientated. I'm sure Richmond will catch up...not to NY. Have you seen the area around the airport on Williamsburg road. Compare that to Newport News where it is cheaper and cleaner. That's the type of change Richmond doesn't seem to keep up with.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I moved here 3 years ago from Boston, and while the Southerners are very nice and generally accepting. I agree, it's seems that many (usually old school North haters) are insulted VERY easily. Usually when they haven't been insulted at all. I hate to see if I ever intentionally went off on them. I think the main difference that I've noticed is down here for some reason It's very common for people to hide behinds smiles and politeness then talk crap behind backs. Which I have no patience for. If I don't like somebody or have an issue with them......THEY KNOW IT!
I just found your problem. Why do you feel it necessary to make them know it? Letting a person know you disagree with them should be on a need to know basis only. And who is it that decides when they have been insulted. You have moved into an area and instead of learning how their culture is, you expect them to all start acting like you. Your behavior is unacceptable to them if you act like most people from the North. Northern and Southern cultures are very different and if you want to fit in just do the opposite of what you would have done back in Boston.

Most Southerners will be polite to a fault but if you keep up the "I know more than you do" or "this is the way it should be done:" in about six months you will be a very lonely person or talking to those people who are as rude as you are only.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
While downtown has been dead for decades I think it's slowly coming back.There's been a lot a life coming back to the old town since Eddie Ecks painted ladies first showed up on Main. VCU has grown, Church Hill is coming back, the Bottom, Carytown are still doing well and the West End has become a great shopping destination. Plenty of eateries in town like Millie's and more folks making a go of the restaurant business. The Capitol is once again being used and even the old John Marshall is showing signs of life.

My view may be based on growing up on Long Island, so I'm more suburban than urban.

I'll tell ya C.L. Richmond was on life support when I first came down here, but even back then had some charm, though I wouldn't walk the streets at night without being armed back then.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Have you seen the area around the airport on Williamsburg road. Compare that to Newport News where it is cheaper and cleaner.
Sure. Its mostly commercial. Its close-by residential is mostly housing complexes. Its a commuter airport and not a tourist destination airport. You should see what it looked like 20ish years ago. While NN has a different type of clientele so this is also not a fair comparison.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L View Post
Have you seen the area around the airport on Williamsburg road. Compare that to Newport News where it is cheaper and cleaner. That's the type of change Richmond doesn't seem to keep up with.
The East End is not desirable for most people. Higher incomes tend to be west and southwest of downtown. Thus, the area near Richmond's airport is generally lower/middle income housing, industrial areas, and older commercial corridors serving the immediate area. The airport is very easy to access from all other areas, so people don't need to locate right next to it. It's the region's front door, so I agree that I'd like it to be more pleasing to the eye, but it also isn't representative of the region as a whole.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
Maybe those who have lived in a city for generations deeply resent newcomers who are very different than they are. All of a sudden, Northerners decided they couldn't stand the high taxes and bad weather any longer, and decided to invade the South, a region where to previous generations it would have been unthinkable to live. My 80 year-old, Manhattanite father's gag reflex kicks in if I even mention anything about the South!

Why can't people be happy where they were born and raised, and just stay there? It causes so many problems when people encroach on alien cultures. And if they absolutely have to, why would you not accept it for what it is, instead of complaining and trying to change it?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:44 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,836 times
Best post in this thread. I completely agree. I have lived all over the East Coast (from Miami all the way to Syracuse and Boston) and noticed this everywhere. Even growing up in a completely different country in a totally different part of the world I noticed the same thing - some people are overly sensitive while some don't care. This is more of a "human nature" thing and not restricted to Virginia, the South or the USA for that matter.

Just my $0.02 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
I'm sorry to beat a dead horse here, but I've experienced people like this everywhere. Some are kind, some are rude, some want it their way or the highway, some are more understanding of other's viewpoints...

I just don't get the part where this is exclusive of the "natives" or that there is a higher percentage of sensitive people in Virginia than elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond