Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 PM

15 posts, read 66,332 times

Advertisements

I have an uncomfortable situation with a neighbor. She claims it's illegal for me to have a basketball hoop for my children alongside the curb, i.e. in the street, or sitting on the curb because it's illegal for children to play in the street in Richmond. We live on a quiet street with very little traffic.

Is it really illegal for children to play in a residential street in the city of Richmond? Or is it simply not advisable for safety reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
I have an uncomfortable situation with a neighbor. She claims it's illegal for me to have a basketball hoop for my children alongside the curb, i.e. in the street, or sitting on the curb because it's illegal for children to play in the street in Richmond. We live on a quiet street with very little traffic.

Is it really illegal for children to play in a residential street in the city of Richmond? Or is it simply not advisable for safety reasons?
I would suggest calling the city to find out if there is such an ordinance in place.. My guess would be the hoop could be illegal to be on a city street I doubt the children at play part. Not too sure about this!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
I'd call the city or the police and ask. Usually if its on your property (or allowed adjacency) its usually legal. I'd go more for a safety concern due to lack of kids at play signs. But also too many people are distracted on cell phones. People, even on quiet roads, are less attentive to thier surroundings compared to 20 years ago. The way things are now, I'd advise adult supervision and teach spotter rules to kids. On the other hand its good to see kids out playing rather than sitting in front of a computer (or TV). Not exactly on this subject line, but I've seen a kid hit by a car while he was crossing in front of the school bus (all lights were blinking). The car came from the opposite direction. And she didn't stop until she passed the bus. The kid has been on PT for about 8 months now. As to the driver, she was a 18 year old texting while driving.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post

Tell your neighbor to shut their mouth and go back in their house! Kids play in the street all the time. Sounds like a pathetic waste of life who likes to be miserable and bothered by the sound of kids having fun.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie
Is it really illegal for children to play in a residential street....?
( a few years late for this thread )

Yes, Its a infraction of the traffic section of Virginia code.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-932

Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
On a highway, sure it's illegal, but not a neighborhood street. Your link says bicycles are illegal on highways, so highways can't imply all streets.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM

Take some time to read the code:

LIS > Code of Virginia

Quote:
"Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel in the Commonwealth, including the streets and alleys, and, for law-enforcement purposes, (i) the entire width between the boundary lines of all private roads or private streets that have been specifically designated "highways" by an ordinance adopted by the governing body of the county, city, or town in which such private roads or streets are located and (ii) the entire width between the boundary lines of every way or place used for purposes of vehicular travel on any property owned, leased, or controlled by the United States government and located in the Commonwealth.
Quote:
No pedestrian shall step into a highway open to moving vehicular traffic at any point between intersections where his presence would be obscured from the vision of drivers of approaching vehicles by a vehicle or other obstruction at the curb or side. The foregoing prohibition shall not apply to a pedestrian stepping into a highway to board a bus or to enter a safety zone, in which event he shall cross the highway only at right angles.
There is code related to it. But enforcement of it is rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond