Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 10,495 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are moving to the Richmond area. We’re leaving the hustle and bustle of the Silicon Valley and want a simpler pace of life
We are seeking a quaint and simpler way of life and hope we can find it in Richmond.

We are taking a scouting trip next week and want to know were we should start looking for a home. We havn’t decided if were buying or renting, we just want the location to be right.

Were looking for a location that is:

Within 30 minutes of downtown Richmond
A town that has a “main street” area with little shops, and cafes.
We need a Safe/family friendly town.
Were looking for an area that more populated than a real rural area, but less than dense suburbia. I mean, we like people, but also open space.
Dog friendly
Houses with character we don’t like cookie cutter modern developments.

Is there such a place?
We have heard Mechanicsville, Chesterfield, and near Short Pump are good.
Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Ashland perhaps?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:31 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,161 times
Yes indeed, you have described Ashland. Check out the SW quadrant, the parts around the college, and most especially the parts along the railroad tracks (which run right down the middle of town). It's quite nice.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM

272 posts, read 1,000,988 times
Maybe even Farmville. A little futher out than 30 min, but very quaint.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM

326 posts, read 688,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCotter11 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are moving to the Richmond area. We’re leaving the hustle and bustle of the Silicon Valley and want a simpler pace of life
We are seeking a quaint and simpler way of life and hope we can find it in Richmond.

We are taking a scouting trip next week and want to know were we should start looking for a home. We havn’t decided if were buying or renting, we just want the location to be right.

Were looking for a location that is:

Within 30 minutes of downtown Richmond
A town that has a “main street” area with little shops, and cafes.
We need a Safe/family friendly town.
Were looking for an area that more populated than a real rural area, but less than dense suburbia. I mean, we like people, but also open space.
Dog friendly
Houses with character we don’t like cookie cutter modern developments.

Is there such a place?
We have heard Mechanicsville, Chesterfield, and near Short Pump are good.
Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Aside from wanting a commute you basically described many of downtown Richmond's neighborhoods. If you haven't visited already I recommend spending some time in the area before making assumptions. There are many neighborhoods in the city that fit your criteria perfectly (other than the commute). To name a few: The Fan, Museum District, Malvern, Church Hill, Forest Hill, Westover Blvd, Carver, Jackson Ward etc. Downtown is both car and pedestrian friendly. You will probably consider it slower paced than Silicon Valley, and even some of Richmond's Suburbs like Short Pump which is faster paced, with a highly suburban car/corporation culture.

Some posters above suggested Ashland but I don't think there is a "main st with cute bistros etc" that you seem to desire. You also won't find houses with character outside of the city proper. Richmond is an old city and within the city it is against the law to tear down houses that are considered historic. You will find much character here.
Again I recommend visiting for a couple days before buying. Enjoy!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:25 PM

25 posts, read 46,833 times
Ashland, Hanover courthouse,Bowling Green, Montpelier,Midlothian

Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 33,791 times
Ashland, and as others stated downtown" Richmond has many urban communities that meet your description - Richmond is not that big, you can drive from one side to the other in less than 15 min (city limits).

Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 AM

485 posts, read 689,514 times
Most of your little downtowns are in the City like Carytown. Everywhere else your not going to have the walking downtown but will have to do a little driving etc. Midlothian Village does have a cute area with shops and restaurants ... the grocery store (Martin's) is soon to relocate out of the village and across the street for a much larger/new store. And there are houses behind the village you can walk from.

I would checkout the city districts (even Westover Hills), Midlothian (VILLAGE), Ashland, Mechanicsville. A little more suburbia but area at corner of Robious and Huguenot (Bellwood) has a lot of essentials in that area and one of the best areas in my opinion.

I think you will find Richmond in general a good suite for what you are looking for.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM
mwr

85 posts, read 140,114 times
Can you elaborate on Mechanicsville? I'm curious about that area of town. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Agree with above, in the city, Ashland, or out to Charlottesville and surrounds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond