Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,362 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from Minneapolis to Richmond, possibly. I will have two school aged kids by that time so of course schools are important. I would also like to live close to the city, if not in it. I'm intrigued about the near west end because of the schools and proximity to the city.

Here's where i need help: I've heard to stay away from the northside, although i can't tell if that is just people opposed to city living in general? And if it is somewhere to stay away from, does that include west of 95 by Bryan lake park?

I believe our budget is going to be up to 350K going based on current careers in Minneapolis. More research to be done, but i first wanted to get a feel for neighborhood options.

I don't want cookie cutter suburbs, i want to be close to nature, i want to ideally be able to walk to foodie type restaurants and non big box stores, and good schools.

Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Sorry - I meant Bryan Park, not Bryan Lake. It's listed as in Henrico, not Richmond. I love the neighborhood's proximity to that large park with a farmers market - and to the city. I would love any feedback on this neighborhood...

Thank you!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times
Well, Bryan Park isn't so much a neighborhood. The neighborhood you are looking for is the greater Bellevue area. And yes, from your description you'll like it a lot.

There are 2 sources of negative commentary on northside. One is ignorant suburbanites. The second is that a good area (west northside, though not usually referred to under that nomenclature) is lumped in with a bad area (east north side). There is a gentrifying "middling" area in between.

To give you a hint on how rough the nice side of northside is, one of Virginia's Senators (Tim Kaine) lives there.

If you are allergic to subarus, organic food, or small children on bicycles, I'd skip Bellevue. That should give a picture of it.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelb2012 View Post
I am looking to relocate from Minneapolis to Richmond, possibly. I will have two school aged kids by that time so of course schools are important. I would also like to live close to the city, if not in it. I'm intrigued about the near west end because of the schools and proximity to the city.

Here's where i need help: I've heard to stay away from the northside, although i can't tell if that is just people opposed to city living in general? And if it is somewhere to stay away from, does that include west of 95 by Bryan lake park?

I believe our budget is going to be up to 350K going based on current careers in Minneapolis. More research to be done, but i first wanted to get a feel for neighborhood options.

I don't want cookie cutter suburbs, i want to be close to nature, i want to ideally be able to walk to foodie type restaurants and non big box stores, and good schools.

Any ideas??
The area you speak of is nice but if schools are a factor then identify what schools you like then look at the associated areas second. Some northside Richmond neighborhoods have nice homes but the associated schools fall short especially at the secondary levels. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Thank you so much for the replies! I had seen a house on Trulia and it was listed as being in the "Bryan Park Neighborhood" so it's good to know it's Bellevue. And not only am I not allergic to those things you mentioned Charlesaf3, it's what I'm looking for!

I also appreciate the school heads up. I've heard less than desirable things about Richmond public schools - but have heard Henrico County are good. Most of the neighborhoods I'm looking at seem to list both as a possibility, not sure how that works...

Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelb2012 View Post
Thank you so much for the replies! I had seen a house on Trulia and it was listed as being in the "Bryan Park Neighborhood" so it's good to know it's Bellevue. And not only am I not allergic to those things you mentioned Charlesaf3, it's what I'm looking for!

I also appreciate the school heads up. I've heard less than desirable things about Richmond public schools - but have heard Henrico County are good. Most of the neighborhoods I'm looking at seem to list both as a possibility, not sure how that works...
If the property you select is in the City of Richmond then those are the schools your children will atend, same if the property is legally in Henrico County. There is no pick/choose on your part unless you want to pay the tuition costs to have your children attend schools outside their district.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM

This is very helpful, thank you. Again, Trulia lists both as a choice so I wasn't sure...
So, on the other side of 95 from Bellevue is a house I'm looking at, which is listed as Henrico as the address, which means it must be Henrico schools, which is a good thing! And, right by that big beautiful park with a farmers market on Tuesdays. Love it!

Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 PM

I would recommend using Greatschools.net or other public sites to determine if the quality of schools is what you expect. Even within Henrico the academic experience various but not as bad as Richmond.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
To clarify, Bellevue is separate but close to Lakeside. Bellevue is in the city of Richmond (along with e Bryan Park itself). The neighborhoods north and east of the park are called Lakeside (see Lakeside Avenue) and are located in Henrico. Lakeside extends north to the area near Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. I can't speak to the schools in Lakeside, but I do live in Bellevue. Our elementary school has a great reputation among parents in the neighborhood and has a very involved administration and PTA. It was a factor in our home buying decision. Middle school and beyond are issues in the city but over 10 years away for us so not really an issue for us.

We considered Lakeside and Bellevue. Subjectively, we much preferred Bellevue despite the city taxes and higher home values. Love the neighborhood, our neighbors, sense of community, charm, character, walkable restaurants and shops, etc.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times
Lakeside and Bellevue are very close, but very different. You'll like Bellevue a lot, but secondary schools will be an issue. I have no idea how good lakeside schools are - note that not all henrico schools are equal, you do want to look at the specific schools.

Bellevue has a very good elementary school, by all accounts. Middle school is currently an issue in the city of Richmond. I've talked to a number of members of the new school board, and I think they are trying now, but that's not a guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond