Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM

164 posts, read 243,464 times

Advertisements

I'm in ohio and i'm trying to figure out which school i want to transfer to for the forensic science degree in undergrad.

which program is better/ will give better education? youngstown state or virginia commonwealth?

i'm also thinking for the cost as far as virginia. it's about 20,000 for out-of-state

are there any safe areas around the campus as far as off-campus apartments with reasonable pricing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 AM

326 posts, read 689,240 times
I don't know much about YSU but VCU is a great school. I know several people who majored or are majoring in forensic science or its sub-fields. However I am hesitant to tell you that you should definitely go to VCU to study forensic science simply because it will be much more expensive. If cost is not an issue then I would probably pick whichever school you feel most enthusiastic about attending.

There are plenty of neighborhoods in Richmond considered safe that are home to many many VCU students and recent graduates. There are also a lot of non-student hipsters and mid-aged yuppies who occupy the same neighborhoods. There should be plenty for you to explore in the VCU/Richmond area as well as a nearby River that you can walk to on days that are nice. If you have a car you will have quick access to great shopping and be within 1.5/2 hours of the mountains, the beach, and Washington DC.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
I don't know much about YSU but VCU is a great school. I know several people who majored or are majoring in forensic science or its sub-fields. However I am hesitant to tell you that you should definitely go to VCU to study forensic science simply because it will be much more expensive. If cost is not an issue then I would probably pick whichever school you feel most enthusiastic about attending.

There are plenty of neighborhoods in Richmond considered safe that are home to many many VCU students and recent graduates. There are also a lot of non-student hipsters and mid-aged yuppies who occupy the same neighborhoods. There should be plenty for you to explore in the VCU/Richmond area as well as a nearby River that you can walk to on days that are nice. If you have a car you will have quick access to great shopping and be within 1.5/2 hours of the mountains, the beach, and Washington DC.
thank you for your input.

yes, my main concern is what if my financial aid doesnt cover the tuition.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
vcu is great in some areas (arts esp) and is definitely improving overall, but i wouldnt pay out of state tuition to go there.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM

92 posts, read 254,742 times
I have actually taken classes at both YSU and VCU. I don't know much about that specific program at each school and while I guess it would be similar, you should research each through the school.

As far as campuses go, YSU definitely has a smaller campus and is pretty confined. VCU is pretty large and is surrounded by other businesses. They both have their benefits, but the area around VCU is definitely lively. As far as things to do, I feel you would be more entertained in Richmond since there is a lot to do. I would say the area around VCU is safe and you can find affordable apartments, but rent in Richmond is definitely higher than Youngstown.

However, the cost is a huge factor. I would recommend applying to both and taking into account the financial aid/scholarships you receive. You definitely don't want to spend $20k more per year if you don't have to. Loans are not a fun reality once you graduate so make sure you take out a reasonable amount.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling_in_the_sun View Post
I have actually taken classes at both YSU and VCU. I don't know much about that specific program at each school and while I guess it would be similar, you should research each through the school.

As far as campuses go, YSU definitely has a smaller campus and is pretty confined. VCU is pretty large and is surrounded by other businesses. They both have their benefits, but the area around VCU is definitely lively. As far as things to do, I feel you would be more entertained in Richmond since there is a lot to do. I would say the area around VCU is safe and you can find affordable apartments, but rent in Richmond is definitely higher than Youngstown.

However, the cost is a huge factor. I would recommend applying to both and taking into account the financial aid/scholarships you receive. You definitely don't want to spend $20k more per year if you don't have to. Loans are not a fun reality once you graduate so make sure you take out a reasonable amount.
which school's education would you say has better quality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond