U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM

352 posts, read 510,527 times

Advertisements

I've heard from time to time that after young professionals graduate from colleges like VCU, many stay in Richmond. Has anyone heard the same or have personal experience that backs this up?

BTW this would definitely give Richmond an edge over a place like Raleigh. Raleigh is practically tailor-made for familes with young children. There's always tons of events going on geared for families with kids, but seems to be majorly lacking for young adults. Not only have I seen people talk about that issue here on city-data, but when visiting Raleigh, I've talked with young adults who've said they are bored to tears and can't wait to move away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,795,114 times
From my experiences hanging out in Richmond, a lot of people do stay in the area after they graduate and work for a few years before moving elsewhere. It also attracts graduates from other areas as well, but this is just personal experience and I don't have any statistics about the young population in the area. Compared to Hampton Roads thought, you definitely can tell that there are people living there who aren't just college kids which is a breath of fresh air.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM

326 posts, read 636,780 times
Richmond attracts people from all over. People moved to Henrico Co's west end in droves in the 2000s and have stayed through the Recession. Richmond lost Circuit City and a couple other companies based here but other than that the metro area has held a respectably low unemployment rate through the whole ordeal. In the city many college graduates do stay in Richmond because the job market isn't bad, but many others also tend to find work elsewhere, namely NoVA among other places. All in all it is hard to say what is typical since Richmond's identity and future is presently being written as the city has only recently become a place where people WANT to live.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
Richmond attracts people from all over. People moved to Henrico Co's west end in droves in the 2000s and have stayed through the Recession. Richmond lost Circuit City and a couple other companies based here but other than that the metro area has held a respectably low unemployment rate through the whole ordeal. In the city many college graduates do stay in Richmond because the job market isn't bad, but many others also tend to find work elsewhere, namely NoVA among other places. All in all it is hard to say what is typical since Richmond's identity and future is presently being written as the city has only recently become a place where people WANT to live.
Yes it'll be interesting to see how the metro transforms after 2015. Just with a lot of the cities efforts to revitalize downtown alone, Richmond has been making appearances on a lot websites. Just recently, it was recognized for it's street art. I really hope the city does start attracting a lot of people and attention from businesses who can provide jobs.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM

I grew up in Hampton Roads, and Richmond had kind of a bad reputation when I was growing up. I've lived all over the country now (really loved Seattle, Portland, SF Bay area..just incredible cities across the board), currently live in NoVA (yuck, lots of big negatives, can't imagine raising kids here) and I've been visiting Richmond and Raleigh alot. I gotta give it to Richmond. There's some very impressive things going on. Here's a sample:

Outside Magazine votes Richmond as "#1 River Town in US"
The Best River Towns in America: Richmond, Virginia | Best Towns | OutsideOnline.com

Impressive TEDx Conference in Richmond
TEDxRVA

The Martin Agency (well respected Ad Agency)
martin agency - Google Search

The hip/popular social media company Tumblr (headquartered in New York) opens trendy office in Richmond
Tumblr Opens New Office in Richmond, Virginia [PICS]

VCU has become a top tier, well respected arts school
"Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (VCUarts) is ranked the No. 1 public university school of arts and design in the country (#4 among public & private institutions) by U.S. News & World Report"

RVA has become a "foodie" town

While researching top Virginia high schools - all of the top schools were NoVA and Richmond (I didn't see one Charlottesville or Hampton Roads school listed)

It's kind of reminding me of a midsized city in California. Outdoorsy, tech savvy, artsy, friendly, laid back... but with southern flavour thrown in.

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-09-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM

The thing is if Richmond keeps getting better, it might become a victim of it's own success. If it starts appearing in magazines as the great new place to live in the Mid Atlantic, and too many people start flooding the area, it'll ruin it.

Portland, OR is amazing in a million different ways. Quality of life, pristine otherworldly wilderness, fun, creative, safe, unique neighborhoods, on and on.. The one main negative is 8 months of overcast, drizzle. I remember one summer day talking to a co-worker at the tech company I worked at about how ridiculously perfect the place was, except for the 8 months of rain. He said he was glad for the rain, because it acted as a filter. He said if it wasn't for the rain, too many people would pile into the area and it would be ruined like L.A.

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-09-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,204,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
The thing is if Richmond keeps getting better, it might become a victim of it's own success. If it starts appearing in magazines as the great new place to live in the Mid Atlantic, and too many people start flooding the area, it'll ruin it.

Portland, OR is amazing in a million different ways. Quality of life, pristine otherworldly wilderness, fun, creative, safe, unique neighborhoods, on and on.. The one main negative is 8 months of overcast, drizzle. I remember one summer day talking to a co-worker at the tech company I working at about how ridiculously perfect the place was, except for the 8 months of rain. He said he was glad for the rain, because it acted as a filter. He said if it wasn't for the rain, too many people would pile into the area and it would be ruined like L.A.
IMO this is what happened to Cary, NC. Lovely place to live, but it grew very fast and had major growing pains. I'd rather Richmond stay under the radar.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM

@sls :^) Ok, it'll be our secret.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:02 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,204,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
@sls :^) Ok, it'll be our secret.
Thanks, VASpaceMan : )

Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Here's another one:

Best Street Art In The World 2013

And yeah I really like how in Richmond, one is able to afford to live in the downtown area without paying exorbitant rents.

Edit:

I think UVA would count as a top tier school in Charlottesville lol

Last edited by Octa; 08-09-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond