Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,677 times

Advertisements

I'm a long way away from moving out on my own (I don't graduate college for at least another 5 years), but after doing a little Google Maps tour I've taken a glance at Richmond and it interests me (especially the residential architecture, it's gorgeous). So I have a couple questions about Richmond.

-How is crime in the city? Is it bad across the board, or just in certain parts? If the latter, what are the bad parts to avoid? And is there spillover crime?

-What are the best and/or most historic parts of the city to live in? What are the blighted or reconstructed parts?

-Is there a lot to do in the city? How about the area in general? (I know NASCAR is in the area, I'm not too big of a fan though)

-Is there a good food and cultural scene? What kind of urban amenities are available (theaters, sports, restaurants, etc)?

-Are there a lot of places to rent in the city boundaries? Where are they usually concentrated?

-How is local and long-distance transportation in and around Richmond? Good or bad?

-How is the local media (newspapers, TV, etc)?

-What kind of jobs would be available for a recent college grad? Specifically, one who would major in mechanical/civil engineering, architecture, or business?

-What is the city's culture like? Is it fairly tolerant to outsiders and those of different races? Is it diverse?

-What are the city's politics like? Are they progressive (not necessarily left-wing, just progressive in the sense of forward-thinking and open-minded)? Do the leaders make good decisions and look to the future?

-I know the city is seperate from the surrounding counties, so is there a major city-county(s) divide in terms of culture and/or politics?

-How's the climate? Is it humid? Warm, cold, or moderate? Does it ever snow?

-Are there any issues unique to the city or its region?

Any and all answers would be appreciated. Also, feel free to add anything. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
I think these questions have been answered a fair bit here, you might read/search for a bit then ask specifics. But in an effort to be helpful, quickie answers interspersed below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I'm a long way away from moving out on my own (I don't graduate college for at least another 5 years), but after doing a little Google Maps tour I've taken a glance at Richmond and it interests me (especially the residential architecture, it's gorgeous). So I have a couple questions about Richmond.

-How is crime in the city? Is it bad across the board, or just in certain parts? If the latter, what are the bad parts to avoid? And is there spillover crime?

--- crime in Richmond used to be bad. It isn't any more, except for certain parts. Specifically, avoid being near a "court", especially east of Jefferson Davis, south of the river.

-What are the best and/or most historic parts of the city to live in? What are the blighted or reconstructed parts?

Most of the city is historic. The western parts tend to be wealthier,

-Is there a lot to do in the city? How about the area in general? (I know NASCAR is in the area, I'm not too big of a fan though)

Yes, it's a really fun place.

-Is there a good food and cultural scene? What kind of urban amenities are available (theaters, sports, restaurants, etc)?

All of the above. Bats way above its weight class food wise, no pro sports.

-Are there a lot of places to rent in the city boundaries? Where are they usually concentrated?

Yes

-How is local and long-distance transportation in and around Richmond? Good or bad?

Airport good, Amtrak ok, buses ok

-What kind of jobs would be available for a recent college grad? Specifically, one who would major in mechanical/civil engineering, architecture, or business?

Those

-What is the city's culture like? Is it fairly tolerant to outsiders and those of different races? Is it diverse?

Yes

-What are the city's politics like? Are they progressive (not necessarily left-wing, just progressive in the sense of forward-thinking and open-minded)? Do the leaders make good decisions and look to the future?

Democrat leaning, ok managed for a city, room for improvement, and signs of improvement

-I know the city is seperate from the surrounding counties, so is there a major city-county(s) divide in terms of culture and/or politics?

Not really, though the city is more hipster/progressive

Little snow, mainly warm. Humid, but not horrible

No

Any and all answers would be appreciated. Also, feel free to add anything. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:59 AM

92 posts, read 235,115 times
Is Jefferson Davis a street, community or highway?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:36 PM

553 posts, read 615,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJbust View Post
Is Jefferson Davis a street, community or highway?
Jefferson Davis Highway is US 1/301 south of the James River.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:31 AM

157 posts, read 228,873 times

***The architecture and history are great. Unfortunately, though, lots of out of town landlords who don't appreciate it are moving in and letting good buildings fall apart or demolishing them to build cookie cutter structures. Apartments with history and personality are still plenty, but thinning out year by year.

***Just certain parts, places where you're likely never live.

***Carytown, The Fan, Museum District

***There is so so much to do here. If you like bars, we have plenty. There's also a decent live music scene here. The James River is perhaps one of the city's most redeemable qualities and offers opportunities for various water sports and relaxation. Just yesterday I lounged in a raft while floating for sever miles!

***Richmond has a ridiculous number of restaurants of various ethnicities. Of course that means competition, and the turnover is kind of disconcerting. We have a good number of theaters too.

***See historic parts to live in.

***The bus is mediocre for local travel, although my experience is limited. The few times I've taken it, it's been late. And the mobile tracking application leaves a lot to be desired. As far as long distance travel, we have a Greyhound and Megabus station, but nothing close to rapid transit. Everyone here owns a car and drives everywhere. Parking is not much of an issue, and the city is relatively lenient when enforcing regulations, so public transit has yet to really take off. And because everyone drives, you have to call for taxi cab service.

***I think Style Weekly is the best paper in town, although the Richmond Times Dispatch gets a lot of recognition.

***It really depends what you want to do. I don't think Richmond caters that well to young professionals, but it boils down to what you want to do. We have very specific markets here. I'm going to chalk this up to how many restaurants we have, but it's been my observation that many college graduates get sucked into food service because it's so readily available when no other options are.

***It's southern, so not as diverse as major cities, but we do have some mixed demographics.

***Politics here are somewhat crooked and the heavy hitters often make decisions based on personal gain rather than what benefits the city. Occasionally it works out in everyone's favor, which is always nice. I'm an avid city biker and residents and politicians alike are fighting moving forward with any type of biking infrastructure you find in more progressive cities. We have streets designated for biking, but it's a constant battle between cyclists and drivers, and you'd be hard pressed to find much bikeability outside of the city. Additionally, funding for education is often neglected.

***Oh yeah. Many people move from the city to the county to start families because schools are better and you get more bang for your buck house-wise. And taxes are much less expensive in the counties. But the city has all the personality!

***We had a very unusual amount of snow this year, but it never lasts. Summers are getting noticeably hotter (lots of 90+ days), but high humidity is fairly commonplace.

Pros of the city: easy access to amenities (walkable/bikeable), lots of greenery/parks, the river, great rental rates

Cons of the city: mega hot summers, regressive mindset, poor public transit

I know I put a lot of negatives in here, but overall Richmond is a great city and a great area to raise a family if that's on your agenda. If that's not in your immediate future, I've read the city is top notch for singles. I'm hoping to move next summer, but will definitely miss the parks and being able to walk everywhere.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Though the school issue is real, I actually think you get more bang for your buck house wise in the city then in the county. But the housing stock has very little directly comparable overlap. Ie if you want old walkable neighborhoods, you have to be in the city, and if you want planned subdivisions with HOAs, you have to be in the county

Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Though the school issue is real, I actually think you get more bang for your buck house wise in the city then in the county.
I'm not a homeowner, but I've heard quite the contrary. My dad often things of relocating to the county where he could use the money he saves in taxes alone to build a three-car garage.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
I'm not a homeowner, but I've heard quite the contrary. My dad often things of relocating to the county where he could use the money he saves in taxes alone to build a three-car garage.
I think it's less about hard tangibles like a garage and square footage and more about neighborhood amenities (walkable, local stores/restaurants, etc.), character, history and quaintness. $/sq. foot is often higher in established neighborhoods for that reason IME.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I think it's less about hard tangibles like a garage and square footage and more about neighborhood amenities (walkable, local stores/restaurants, etc.), character, history and quaintness. $/sq. foot is often higher in established neighborhoods for that reason IME.
Oh, I totally agree with you. I live in Carytown, walk/bike everywhere, drive less than 100 miles a month, and love it. Kiss that all goodbye in the counties where you have to drive for everything and consequently have to contend with constant traffic. Of course if I were buying a home and establishing a family, I may sing a different tune.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapeaz View Post
Oh, I totally agree with you. I live in Carytown, walk/bike everywhere, drive less than 100 miles a month, and love it. Kiss that all goodbye in the counties where you have to drive for everything and consequently have to contend with constant traffic. Of course if I were buying a home and establishing a family, I may sing a different tune.
Very true. Schools are the big issue. It's doable to stay in the city with kids if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond