U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 AM

13 posts, read 19,049 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are young professionals looking to settle down. We are both currently renting in the Forest Hill area but are looking to move and buy our first home as I was just recently hired to work at VCU. While we would love to move to the 'burbs, I don't drive so this limits where we can live. Any suggestions for safe, affordable neighborhoods in Richmond (or even Henrico) where I may be able to catch the bus? I don't mind walking a reasonable distance to a bus stop. Our budget would be under $250K and would like to buy a move-in ready home if possible. We are looking for a child-friendly community where I might be able to meet other young parents and feel safe walking our future kids and small dog. My husband likes the Church Hill area but I hear that depending on the street, it can be a little dicey. I really love the Libbie and Grove area but I know we would be virtually impossible to find a home there within our price range. Help please!

Last edited by AllieMallie; 10-04-2014 at 01:07 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:59 AM

689 posts, read 1,489,194 times
I just looked on realtor.com and there are several smaller homes in Westover Hills in your range. There are also some in Ginter Park/Bellevue, which is a wonderful family neighborhood. I would not choose to raise a family in Church Hill, but I know there are posters on here who would disagree. I think the bigger issue is finding something decent in your range. Church Hill has gotten pricy in recent years, and anything we've looked at that's affordable needed major work. You should watch the near West End carefully, you might find a deal, but you'd have to move on it quickly. There's a house on Augusta, in Mary Munford, for $245k. You should also watch the Fan/Museum district, just in case something comes up.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,418,700 times
Your budget is tough. How do you feel about Randolph?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,943,823 times
Bellevue would work.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:23 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions! Looking into the areas mentioned. I found a lovely house in Bellevue that I'd like to tour. Look at this. I love all the architectural details of the house and the neighborhood looks very charming!

And yes, I hesitate with Church Hill esp with children involved in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Your budget is tough. How do you feel about Randolph?
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that $250k doesn't get you much in Richmond city. And I've never really explored Randolph. I'm going to look into this as well.

Last edited by AllieMallie; 10-06-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Nottoway is a great street -- a friend of mine lived there for years. Very friendly neighborhood, lots of people out doing stuff. I'd look seriously at that.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 AM

So, found two more great properties.

What do you think of this town home ? It's a GREAT price for the size and there's a bus stop within a 10-minute walk from the unit. And we don't mind a town home. We actually like the idea of not having to worry about yard maintenance on our first home. So in that regard, we have no preference.

But then, there's this house on Lakeside that looks promising, too! Similarly, it's within walking distance to a stop and Bryan Park!

I would appreciate some feedback on the locations, please. Which one would you choose if you were in our shoes?

Last edited by AllieMallie; 10-07-2014 at 04:13 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure you'd make money on the TH, that's not a great area, but not awful. I think the townhouses are probably an attempt to clean it up, increase property values. The Lakeside neighborhood is a lot more appealing to me. And fairly stable. Lots of first time homeowners.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 PM

418 posts, read 959,712 times
I love the Bellevue area - there is a house on Fauquier for sale near the one you picked that looked really cute. Lakeside puts you in the county - much better for schools, esp. after Elementary - but that might not be important. If I didn't care about schools I would head towards Bellevue for the easy access to shops and restaurants on MacArthur and Bellevue.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,073,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMallie View Post
So, found two more great properties.

What do you think of this town home ? It's a GREAT price for the size and there's a bus stop within a 10-minute walk from the unit. And we don't mind a town home. We actually like the idea of not having to worry about yard maintenance on our first home. So in that regard, we have no preference.

But then, there's this house on Lakeside that looks promising, too! Similarly, it's within walking distance to a stop and Bryan Park!

I would appreciate some feedback on the locations, please. Which one would you choose if you were in our shoes?
If you really need to rely on transit, the first link does not seem like a good option. You'd be walking down a dirt path on the side of a fast-moving road with no shoulder and relying on the 18 and 19. Both buses are infrequent and seem to just inch their ways downtown (I've taken them). Rainy, cold, windy days would be utterly miserable.

The Lakeside option is better IMO. It's a decent suburb that has good proximity to the city (and Bellevue). The bus service here is also pretty weak. I relied on the 24, 22 and 37 for five years while living in Bellevue. By living in Lakeside, you'd be relying on the 22 and the 24. The 24 is the better, more frequent route, but even that is relatively infrequent. Miss one bus and you could be SOL for the better part of an hour...unless you hike to Chamberlayne/Brook to catch the 37. By year two, I was biking most days FWIW.

I'm assuming you've relied on transit for work/school in the past since you don't drive, but Richmond is not a strong transit city. If you get out of the main corridor of buses (centered on Broad St), quality options decline quickly.

Btw - A budget of $250k is not bad. You could get a nice small house that's suburban in nature west of 195 or in Bellevue. Schools would be the bigger problem, but there are good elementary schools so you wouldn't have to worry for a while. Unfortunately, transit in Richmond is pretty weak outside the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: